“Better than the Ritz-Carlton”

Las Rosas Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Riverside, California
“Better than the Ritz-Carlton”
Reviewed 19 July 2007

My husband had stayed at the Las Rosas from when it first opened up until 2000 when he retired from off-road racing. He was sure that I would LOVE the hotel, and suggested we go there for our anniversary. I was a bit sceptical, but figured he knew what he was talking about, and guess what....he was right! From the moment we walked in, I was totally in LOVE with the place. The staff was extremely friendly (2 employees even remembered my husband, by name, even though they hadn't seen him in 7 years), the food was incredible, the rooms immaculate, and the views unbelievable! We weren't able to get a room with a queen/king size bed due to a wedding that was there the same time we were, but nonetheless, it was an incredible experience! I've stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Nigel, and let me tell you..........the experience at the Las Rosas was so much better, and less expensive too! The staff was so friendly, not snooty like at the Ritz and we didn't want for anything! I highly recommend this hotel over any 5 star snooty hotel in the states, definitely worth the 1+ drive across the border! Can't wait to go back next year for another anniversary!

• Liked — The cleanliness & friendliness of the staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Heartkrazy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
San Francisco
Reviewed 5 July 2007

We held our wedding there, and have stayed 4-5 times while planning it over the course of 6 months. We thought the food, the rooms, the staff, and the pool all were great. Be cautious of some of the reviews..one negative one was actually for Las ROCAS, not Las Rosas...Rocas is a bit north and a completely different property.

• Liked — All around a great place to stay. Food and the pool are really great
  • Disliked — No beach, but the pool is fantastic
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank PaulSFO
Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 May 2007

As someone who has been to northern Baja many times, I can tell you this...Las Rocas is one of the best places to stay there. If you are expecting the Hyatt, Hilton or Ritz then stay in San Diego...because Northern Baja is not for you. The bottomline is that you don't go to northern Baja for the room or to watch TV. You go for the view, the food, the surf, the fun, the sun, and to relax. Las Rocas offers all of this in a super safe environment. Honestly my wife hates mexico, but she loves Las Rocas. If you are online looking for a place to stay and are panicking because you just don't know which places are good and which are not....stay at Las Rocas...trust me...some of the reviews for Las Rocas make me laugh (they are way off or they just got upset because something didn't go their way)....set your expectations low and you will be floored by how nice this place is.

I would leave the kids at home. (Northern Baja isn't for kids in my opinion). It is a great place for couples or groups of people looking to have a good time. Enjoy!!

• Liked — The view is un-freakin-believable
  • Disliked — The road on the way needs some work.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TheGreatAdventurer
San Diego
Reviewed 1 April 2007

The resort is a little run down, food was ordinary though service was O.K.
The breakfast room service, cold, and tasteless, fruit was old, and the meals expensive.
We had the honeymoon room, shower was broken.
Lets just say I will not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarcaSanDiego
Laguna Beach
Reviewed 24 February 2007

Just returned from a 4day/3 night stay at Las Rosas (Feb.20-23). We had 3 rooms (2 deluxe dbl's and 1 deluxe Jr. Suite) all situated next to eachother. We were on the first floor which was very convienent and noise was never an issue.

Yes, the hotel is a bit dated, but still very nice, very clean and the staff was wonderful. We brought our 2 teenagers along with 2 other teenagers. We all had a wonderful time. The spa was clean and warm, along with the swimming pool. We ordered food by the spa and the service was very good. The food was great, very reasonalby priced, especially for room service. I was very impressed by the restaurant staff, especially for room service. We ordered coffee each morning (along with warm milk and cream) and received it quickly and just as we had ordered. I can be a bit picky, and often order things a bit different from the norm, but never had a problem getting things just the way I like it. It was a very, very pleasant experience. Also, the prices were the same, whether you ate in the restaurant or had it delivered to your room. Breakfast in the restaurant was excellent and priced well, too. With 4 teenagers (with very healthy appetites) it was a pleasant surrise when settlling up the billl for our stay. Also, after surfing each day, they enjoyed the option of staying in the room, watching a movie and just relaxing instead of having to go down to the restaurant.

The deluxe Jr. Suite was lovely. It was very clean and up to date. The spa tub was huge and the view was awesome. We slept each night with the slider open so we could hear the waves breaking on the rocks all night long. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very large. The other 2 rooms were okay (this is the reason for the above average rating instead of execellent). They were very, very basic. They could use a bit of a face lift, however, our teenagers were very happy there. We ordered a roll-a-way also, and it was delivered immediately at no charge. The difference in price is minimal, so book the deluxe jr. suite if you can.

Overall, we had a great experience at Las Rosas. The service was excellent, better than I've ever had in Mexico, even in 4/5 star properties in Cabo San Lucas. They even washed my car for me so I didn't have to leave the property to have it done. Also, it was very quiet which we appreciated having brought 4 teenagers (ages 16, 15, 15 and 14)there. They was no crazy bar scene and just far enough from town so we felt comfortable. We went down for a quick surf trip and found Las Rosas to be the highlight of the trip.

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank susanthompson100
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 15 February 2007

This place is excellent!! When driving up and seeing the back of the hotel from the road I had my doubts but once inside you are completely surprised. Super clean, great staff, great facility and location make this hotel a joy. I can't wait to return.

Great 'mid-week' deals are available if you ask. Also, the hotel resturaunt prepares a great meal for very reasonable prices. This was the cheapest surf&turf I've ever had - and it was great.

Stayed February 2007
los angeles
Reviewed 10 February 2007

Las Rosas is a wonderful, inviting hotel. The service from the front desk to the bellman to all of the wait staff was exemplary - at a level that is very often missing from top quality American hotels these days. It is on a loud road, but it is what it is. It was an enchanting experience in Mexico.

• Stayed January 2007