“Nice Place To Stay”

Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Live Oak, California
“Nice Place To Stay”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Stayed here in January 2009 with some friends. The price was good, and we found it seemed to be located near a lot of local things to do.

We flew into San Diego and rented a car, then drove into Ensenada. However; when we arrived, we found there was no need for the car to get around to local places (as the hotel was nearby everything else we really needed, as I previously stated).

Our room was quite nice, clean, and was up to date. The bathroom was cleaned and well stocked with enough towels, etc. for the three of us.

Parking was provided, and there was even a pool (although the pool was freezing-we jumped on in). The pool and pool area was very cleaned.

All in all, if I were to ever return to the area and need a room, I would definitely go back here, and would for certain recommend it.

Again, please remember I stayed here in 2009...

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed just one night, I woke up early and went for coffee and some reading time by the pool, when got back to the room the family was upset the room next door was so noisy that they woke them up.
Really date although clean, not the best place in town for that price.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Mexicali, Mexico
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This is a dated property, kind of well maintained, but they have a new section and even it is not my kind of decoration, its clean and new. The rooms are very spacious. The restroom is also spacious, it is divided in two areas, that makes it very practical. The a/c works well, and there's a coffee maker in the room , which is very useful. The only downside of this new section is that you can hear everything that is happening in the corridor. Not very nice!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
San Diego, Ca
Reviewed 28 July 2011

So many people are still hesitant to visit baja but I was just there in July and had a great time! The staff at the Hotel Cortez were friendly and helpful. I did encounter one issue, when i tried to check-in my room wasn't ready yet, but the hotel is in such a great location i parked my car in the lot and started exploring downtown. I had great fun in Ensenada. The hotel is only a few minutes away from the beach, walking distance to the dock and fish market and on the main street with many restaurants, shops, bars and clubs! Would definitely stay here again. Room was clean, A/C worked and great location with safe parking structure. Great value and you can book online.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
baja mexico
Reviewed 31 May 2011

let me start off by saying that our reservation was worthless, we didnt have one cause of their system it was erased, but the took us anyways, the exterior is nice but room was kind of stinky, toilet has issues and the bed is run down as is the room, well thats not the worst..........

the worst is that we needed a receipt but they dont have an indepedent system they rely on mexico city offices and i am still waiting for my receipt, its been almost a week now.

restaurant is good.

Room Tip: go stay somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Ensenada hotels

San Jose, CA
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I had stayed at this hotel several times before without any issue; the rooms are ok.

I made my last reservation four weeks before arriving there, at the end of April. Upon trying to check in, I was told to come back later as they were cleaning my room; I'll also point out that Igave my name to the young lady and she looked me up in their records and told me to come back later. Came back later, and I'll make the story short: they couldn't find a reservation even with the confirmation # I was given a month earlier. Supposedly, they looked and couldn't find it. They made me wait for about 20-30 minutes to see if they could find it; in the end, they couldn't . They asked me to come back at 5 pm when their system would release reservations for people who had not checked in (the nerve). I'll refrain from mentioning the obscene thoughts I had after hearing that offer. Fortunately, there are plenty of choices in Ensenada, and didn't have any problem getting a room across the street w/o a reservation.

Because I got a really good rate when I made my reservation, and it was a long weekend, my theory is that most likely they gave my room to someone else for a higher rate (people were comming asking for rooms, without reservations).

50-50 chance it may happen to you, at some point. I had read a review from another Tripadvisor reviewer who ran into the same issue, and thought, well I have stayed here before and have not had that issue, Obviously, this hotel will be no longer on my list.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Thirstytraveler_9
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 December 2010

This is a no frills place with some frills: workout room, pool, restaurant. Looks like a motel that was decorated in the early 90's. Rooms have showers, but not tubs. Super secure parking is a big plus, as well as its central location. This is a great place for the money if you have business or family in the area: it's clean, it's a good value, it has friendly and helpful staff. The restaurant serves a great breakfast, sit out in their enclosed sidewalk cafe. Zu Taza coffee shop will take care of all of your caffeine needs (even for us tea drinkers!).

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business