“bad experience”

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
A TripAdvisor Member
“bad experience”
Reviewed 13 April 2004

we stayed there in April 2003 for aspecial weekend, we had booked months earlier. upon arrival we were told that we had no room, as they had given our rooms out to dignitaries. after much arguing, we were given 2 suites that were available, at the same price. The next morning, they contacted us and wanted us to move to other rooms so the dignitaries could again, have the suites, we refused, and were treated badly for the duration of our stay, when we asked for Ice or clean towels, we were told there were none. Having stayed here before and having a wonderful experience, I was astonished that they didn't go the extra step on being courteous to all their guests, not just dignitaries. I will not stay there abain and have booked this years trip at the Hotel mission Isabel.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 December 2003

Hotel El Cortez, Ensenada, Baja CaliforniaWishing to spend Christmas in Mexico, my family and I decided to drive to Ensenada, Baja California and spend our holidays at this little fishing village that we had often visited when I was a teenager. On my query to find a suitable hotel to stay, I stumbled on the El Cortez Hotel. I was a little hesitant at first to make our reservations, as I could not find much about the hotel on the Internet (I make it a habit to read the commentaries made by other travelers who have stayed in the hotels that interest me). To make a long story short I decided to call the Mexican Tourism Bureau in Los Angles, where Mr. Jorge Gamboa and his staff were extremely helpful, they assured me that the hotel would meet all of our requirements. We booked. I am happy to report that the hotel did meet all of our expectations and more, the rooms were very, very clean, the staff pleasant, helpful and eager to please. Cortés is the Spanish word for courteous, the El Cortez nailed the definition. The biggest win, was that the hotel was strategically located at the southern end of the main street, Avenida Lopez Mateos, a walking distance from all the best shops and restaurant. We arrived late on Christmas eve famished and much to our dismay all the restaurants that were recommended were closed, as is traditional in Mexico on Christmas eve, all but one El Charro where we had first meal, it was terrific. After that first taste of fresh tortilla chips, guacamole, Mexican style rotisserie chicken, been soup, rice and hand made tortillas we knew we were hooked. From then on the family's adventure was finding another great place to eat; needless to say, we looked forward to breakfast, lunch, dinner and the occasional margarita, that seems to flow from every spigot in town. We had struck epicurean gold WOW! Let me tell you, you can find just about every international type of cuisine that you desire and what ever you eat will make your palate jump for joy, but don't skip the fish tacos. I can honestly say that we were never disappointed about one bite of our adventure. There is more, the big surprise; Ensenada is no longer the little fishing village of my youth but instead a charming bustling city that pays great attention to hospitality, they deserve a solid ten for their effort, they know the meaning of Bein Venidos especially my hotel, El Cortez, el cortés.