“Loved it. Very clean and great location”
Review of Hotel Cortez

Hotel Cortez
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Healdsburg, CA
“Loved it. Very clean and great location”
Reviewed 15 August 2005

My family and I just got back from Ensenada. We stayed at the Cortez from Sunday, August 7, 20058, thru Friday, August 12.
Best thing to do is just show up. I called to reserve by phone and was quoted a price of $80.00 per night. My brother had stayed there in July and paid only $50.00. I showed up and asked for a room and got one for $56.00 a nite, price go up Friday thru Saturday to $100.00 a nite.

The staff was very friendly, especially if you tip. The restaurant next door is clean and not too expensive. Many families with children. My 6 year old granddaughter made many friends despite her lack of Spanish. The hotel is in the main tourist area, yet its at a corner so it's not so loud. The area is pretty safe even at night. While in Ensenada you must check out Restaurant Maru a few blocks off the main tourist place. Just ask any vendor for directions. If you plan on visiting La Bufadora make sure its high tide, otherwise you won't see any action. Will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2005
20 Thank Teresa R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Reviewed 4 August 2005

My husband, my two daughters and I stayed at the cortez hotel, we were very pleased with the whole atmosphere. The staff was very courteous, the rooms and the pool were very clean, plus the parking lot was very secure. We would definetel stay here again

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed 20 June 2005

I stayed here for my bachelor party with 12 other guys. I was pretty impressed since I had no idea going in. Basically we had no problems, the place is walking distance to all the bars/clubs/shopping and was safe and secure. Seemed akin to a mexican best western. It was pretty cheap, no insects, hot water worked, etc. There is a pool which seemed pretty clean although we didnt use it. The food was ok although not special. There is a bar however.

• Stayed June 2003
7 Thank Steve F
Reviewed 13 April 2004

we stayed there in April 2003 for aspecial weekend, we had booked months earlier. upon arrival we were told that we had no room, as they had given our rooms out to dignitaries. after much arguing, we were given 2 suites that were available, at the same price. The next morning, they contacted us and wanted us to move to other rooms so the dignitaries could again, have the suites, we refused, and were treated badly for the duration of our stay, when we asked for Ice or clean towels, we were told there were none. Having stayed here before and having a wonderful experience, I was astonished that they didn't go the extra step on being courteous to all their guests, not just dignitaries. I will not stay there abain and have booked this years trip at the Hotel mission Isabel.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Ensenada hotels

Reviewed 31 December 2003

Hotel El Cortez, Ensenada, Baja CaliforniaWishing to spend Christmas in Mexico, my family and I decided to drive to Ensenada, Baja California and spend our holidays at this little fishing village that we had often visited when I was a teenager. On my query to find a suitable hotel to stay, I stumbled on the El Cortez Hotel. I was a little hesitant at first to make our reservations, as I could not find much about the hotel on the Internet (I make it a habit to read the commentaries made by other travelers who have stayed in the hotels that interest me). To make a long story short I decided to call the Mexican Tourism Bureau in Los Angles, where Mr. Jorge Gamboa and his staff were extremely helpful, they assured me that the hotel would meet all of our requirements. We booked. I am happy to report that the hotel did meet all of our expectations and more, the rooms were very, very clean, the staff pleasant, helpful and eager to please. Cortés is the Spanish word for courteous, the El Cortez nailed the definition. The biggest win, was that the hotel was strategically located at the southern end of the main street, Avenida Lopez Mateos, a walking distance from all the best shops and restaurant. We arrived late on Christmas eve famished and much to our dismay all the restaurants that were recommended were closed, as is traditional in Mexico on Christmas eve, all but one El Charro where we had first meal, it was terrific. After that first taste of fresh tortilla chips, guacamole, Mexican style rotisserie chicken, been soup, rice and hand made tortillas we knew we were hooked. From then on the family's adventure was finding another great place to eat; needless to say, we looked forward to breakfast, lunch, dinner and the occasional margarita, that seems to flow from every spigot in town. We had struck epicurean gold WOW! Let me tell you, you can find just about every international type of cuisine that you desire and what ever you eat will make your palate jump for joy, but don't skip the fish tacos. I can honestly say that we were never disappointed about one bite of our adventure. There is more, the big surprise; Ensenada is no longer the little fishing village of my youth but instead a charming bustling city that pays great attention to hospitality, they deserve a solid ten for their effort, they know the meaning of Bein Venidos especially my hotel, El Cortez, el cortés.