“Look at your room first!!!”
Review of Hotel Calafia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ensenada
Hotel Calafia
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
San Diego
“Look at your room first!!!”
Reviewed 26 August 2008

I regularly check trip advisor before booking any type of vacation yet have never written a review. After staying at this poor excuse of a hotel, I felt extremely compelled. This was one of the worst hotel stays my wife and I have ever experienced. I didn't check the reviews because my wife had already booked a room since one of her friends was getting married there. Had been to a wedding before at this hotel about 5 years prior but hadn't stayed the night and had had a great time then. Room was absolutely tiny and it completely smelled like must/sewer. Turned on the fan, sprayed Herbal Essence hairspray to freshen up the room and closed the door. We prayed that the smell would have gone away after the wedding but luck was not on our side. I wish I would have taken pictures of the room but didn't muster the courage to look at the room that closely. Broken tiles, moldy grout, and did I mention the smell. We visited another room later that night after the wedding that really was a lot better but they had no hot water. I highly recommend requesting to see the room before leaving your credit card at the front desk. And if they give you a room like ours, take a taxi and stay at the nearest Super 8 Motel on the US side. I'm sure it will be a LOT better than this place.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank sdtchrtrvls

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
ocfelix26
Reviewed 7 August 2008

My wife and I were married this june at Hotel Calafia. We have been going every month for the last couple of years. We have read all of the nasty reviews and want to make it clear that this hotel is great as long as you don't forget you're in Mexico. It is very private and their is a quaint and unique feel about it. I love the views- especially from the restaurant. This summer the rooms with an ocean view are being rennovated, plenty of them are already done. I have seen a few of the finished ones and they are completely awesome. I will continue to keep going, and I recommend you ask for a rennovated room by the ocean if you go. There is no price difference from an unrennovated room by the ocean so you might as well try for a rennovated one.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ocfelix26
Coronado, CA
Reviewed 21 July 2008

After reading reviews we were afraid to stay here but our niece was getting married so we arrived ready to clean our own room and sleep with the lights on.
We loved the hotel and staff. Our room was clean with two nicely firm queen beds, and the ocean view was spectacular. This is an older hotel with a great deal of charm BUT if the occasional cracked tile and drapes not hanging just right bother you, do not stay here.
This is a lovely place to have a wedding. The ocean venues are breathtaking. The staff is very accommodating but this is Mexico, so “close enough” is sometimes what you get in the end (ie: the wonderfully tasty chicken stuffed with blue cheese was occasionally surprisingly chicken stuffed with ham-still great. The veggies were steamed just right. And everything was served hot.)
JC
Coronado, CA

• Liked — Staff and view
  • Disliked — travel in Mexico
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank sdbvjdc
Rosarito,Mex
Reviewed 27 May 2008

My husband and I were visiting Rosarito,Mex for the first time and didn't know wich hotel to reserved so we decided to drive until we find this beautiful,peaceful,mexican style hotel.
the hotel is a copy of the California Missions in CA, very clean,great price from sun-thu only 35dlls on weekends goes from 80 to 100.
The hotel offers a beauty shop, wedding salon,coffe shop,bar disco,restaurant, beautiful ocean view, great service.The hotel is about a mile from the Rosarito hotel far from the traffic and people close to Porto Nuevo.

• Liked — The arquitecture
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank viajar93
San Diego
Reviewed 19 May 2008

MY first mistake was to not read reviews before I booked the reservation. The room was not ready when we got there and we had to wait for 30 minutes, which is long when you have two children. I have a one year old and I was not aware that there was not a refrigarator, no airconditioner, no telephone, and no microwave. For $130 a night there should at least be water. The water got turned off on Sunday which was very unsatisfactory.I was not impressed. I feel that I should be refunded.

• Liked — The ocean view.
  • Disliked — No airconditioner!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travellers are raving about these Ensenada hotels

Boston
Reviewed 27 December 2007

Where do I begin? I visited Calafia not by choice in the early fall of 2007 for a friends wedding. I had flown from Boston to San Diego and drove down to Mexico for the nuptials. Getting to Calafia was fun. There was no sign and the dump, I mean hotel, was located off of a dirt road.

Upon check in - the clerk asked my name. When I told him, he pulled out a piece of paper with my name scribbled out on it. He informed me that my room had been cancelled. When I told him that was impossible, he said the 'groom" cancelled my room. I found that to be impossible, seeing that I had just seen the groom the night before at the rehearsal dinner. When I asked to use the phone to call his room to clarify, they informed me that they 'have no phones."

Finally the clerk was able to find a room for us. I handed my credit card (which expired at the end of the month, this was the 7th of the month) and they told me they could not take it. This has never happened before. So, we had to pay cash for the room.

Upon arrival to our room, I wish someone had told me to wear a mask. The rooms were filthy and smelled like must. Two beds, tiled (soiled) floors with a TV from the 50s. The bathrooms - dont even get me started. It was infested with ants, there was a used razor with blood on the window sill and it looked like the inside of a truck stop.

We immediately called the maid to come get rid of the ants. She came, sprayed some RAID and was on her merry way. However, she forgot the keychain with the hotels MASTER KEYS in our bedroom. She came back about two hours later looking for them. That made us (two single girls) feel very safe.

The wedding itself was nice - but this place is highly overrated. We didnt end up staying the night, as sleeping in the beds would have likely exposed us to some disease. I would NEVER expose my wedding guests to this disaster of a hotel.

Do yourself a favor and DONT stay there if you are invited to a wedding at Calafia. Sleeping in your car is a better option.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
Whittier, California
Reviewed 12 September 2007

I don't even know where to begin. We stayed there for my cousin's wedding. I didn't want to stay there after reading the reviews, however, all of my family were staying there and I didn't want to stay alone in Mexico.

The rooms were disgusting. I'm not exaggerating. It has tile floors that are never mopped. The television was nothing but static even though they said they offered colored cable t.v. but it didn't matter because it was all in spanish anyway. The restrooms were even worst. The showers were gross. I wish I had taken sandals to take a bath. When you stepped out of the shower the floor got black because it wasn't clean. They never gave us enough towels and the ones we had were stained.. The sheets had a blood stain so I didn't even sleep inside them. I had my husband get me a blanket from our car. I couldn't stand being there at all.. Their website is very very misleading. It makes it look decent and beautiful. It is nothing like that at all. I would have honestly rather have stayed at a Motel 6 than there. The ceiling's had spider webs. The rooms looked like they had never been dusted. My family booked almost the entire hotel and the other rooms were the same.. The was no hot water for some of my family members.. As far as the ocean views, what a joke, your lucky if you can see it from your room. You can't access the ocean either. I wouldn't even give it half a star rating...

The wedding was okay, nothing spectacular
Stay away!!!!

• Liked — Going home
  • Disliked — Every single thing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family