“Cheap oceanfront luxury in Rosarito Beach!”
Review of Pyramid Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ensenada
Pyramid Resort
Ranked #21 of 37 Hotels in Ensenada
Hollywood, CA
“Cheap oceanfront luxury in Rosarito Beach!”
Reviewed 20 February 2007

Pyramid Resort is located off Mexican Highway 1, between Rosarito and Ensenada in Baja California, Mexico. The closest "town" would be Puerto Nuevo.

The resort is a cluster of white stucco pyramid-shaped condos/townhomes (aka "suites"), built terrace-style into the oceanfront hillside. The resort includes the suites themselves, a manager's office, several parking lots, swimming pools and hot tubs.

The suites themselves use huge wood beams, Mexican tile, ceramics and stucco in their construction. I go here with a group of about 8-10 friends every summer, and we usually book two or three suites for our group. Each of our suites has two bedrooms and a fold-out couch for sleeping. (We bring air mattresses as well.) There are two bathrooms per suite as well, each with a shower. Each suite has a full kitchen with a range, microwave and refrigerator.

The management includes full-time groundskeepers for the landscaping, pools and hot tubs, as well as housekeeping for each suite (to clean and re-stock towels, soaps, etc.).

The location is truly amazing -- right on the beach. Many of the suites have oceanfront views from the balconies. The weather is paradise in the summer. I HIGHLY recommend staying here -- you will NOT be disappointed!

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank freebiegrabber

Families
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 19 February 2007

This was absolutely the creepiest place I have ever stayed! We were traveling with two other couples - each couple had their own "room". Being that one of the other couples booked our "room" for us, we were nieve as to what to expect. Let this be a good lesson for us. When we arrived (late in the evening) we were met by a flashing light from the pyramid above. No one knew quite what this meant. As we found our way to the front desk we were met by a dark bearded man shining a flashlight in our eyes. The first words out of his mouth were "Are you guys lost or something?" We replied "No - we're checking in." He then said very abruptly, "Well I was flashing you guys and you didn't respond." I guess we were supposed to know that was code for "do you have reservations here?" Everytime we drove into the parking lot from then on we were met with the same S.O.S signal. By the time we parked our car and before we could shut the car door, he was standing behind us out of the dark. I felt as though he was interogating us each time we made a move. (For the life of me, I cannot figure out how he made it from the top of the pyamid as we pulled in, to standing right behind us as we parked). Thus, the title of this review. I really felt like Big Brother had the watch over us here!

Once checking in, everyone went to their "rooms." The same tall man with the long beard and flashlight showed us to our room. The room had no front door. We entered through the sliding glass door. Our mouths dropped open when we discovered our fate for the next three nights. It was a VERY, VERY cold room with a bed and a fireplace at opposite ends and a "dancefloor" between the two. Much to our surprise there was no heat!!!!! The room was like an absolute icebox! We then turned to psycho and asked if there was any firewood available to purchase. He then replied, "Sorry folks, you're outta luck - it's too late to buy any now." I couldn't believe it. At this point, I was ready to make a run for the boarder! But since neither one of us are the complaining type, we decided to deal with it til tmrw and then go get some firewood for the following nights. Our room obviously was Mexican pavers, concrete walls, and beams that had recently been painted of which stunk to high heaven!
Our bed consisted of two flat pillows and one (count them - 1) blanket!!!! We froze.

But wait! It gets better - there were no curtains or blinds on the windows. This was absolutely the coldest place I've ever been! But you haven't heard the best. As I entered into the bathroom, I couldn't close my mouth. The shower was below groundlevel. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to get in and out of it. There were no rails or steps. (It did have hot water though). Again, no shower curtain here. Seriously, it looked like some sort of Chinest torture chamber.

At this point my fiance and I couldn't help but laugh, bundle ourselves up with as many layers as possible and go to sleep and "hopefully" wake up the next day.

Now, we've stayed in many places in Baja from some major dives to some pretty nice places. We know not to expect much as it is not a wealthy country. I've never felt the need to review any of them, but BEWARE! We always say "you get what you pay for." But this was an absolute shocker!!! I wouldn't recommend this place to my own worst enemy.

Just to give this place the benefit of the doubt, we did ask for a room change. There was a room available similar to one that our friends had (who paid the same amount as we did) but the "resort" wanted to charge us an extra $100 for the exact same room on the same night.

The best thing that happened though was that since we were not at all "attached" to our hotel, we decided to leave at 3 am and make it to the boarder quickly. Usually we sleep in and puts around town for awhile. Not this time! We made it to the boarder in record time and through the gate in about 15 minutes. Most times we spend about 3 hours in line. Yeah for us!

P.S. Psycho did confront us again to ask us what our plans were for leaving the next day. We told him 3am. He told us he would be looking for our lights to go on and hunt us down so we could return the key. Unbelievable. We made a B-line to the main road and never looked back to see the dust in our tracks.

Oh yeah - did I mention no heat, no TV, no radio, no curtains or blinds, no light in the bathroom and absolutely no services of any sort? If you have kids - leave them at home!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The room and the security guard
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank amandarn5

Travellers are raving about these Ensenada hotels

Shasta, California
Reviewed 28 August 2006

Our favorite South-of-Rosarito hotel was booked when we tried to get reservations for a last minute weekend getaway (as were all of the nearby hotels listed on TripAdvisor), but the hotel referred us to the Pyramid Resort a few miles up the road. Not really a resort, but good value for basic oceanfront lodgings. (These appear to be condos rented by the day or week when the owners aren't using them.) Our one bedroom "villa" was typical Baja - tile floors, sparse furniture, thin towels - but the view was fantastic. The grounds were well kept and the pool and jacuzzi clean and in good repair. There are no TVs and no phones, so bring your own CD player, etc. and remember to activate your cell phone for use in Baja before you leave the U.S. The guests we encountered were generally quiet and well behaved - which fit in with our desire to find peace and quiet far away from the party people in Rosarito. There isn't a bar or restaurant on the property, but the units have kitchens (no microwaves), and enough dishes/flatware to get by if you want to cook something simple. You can find places to buy food, beer, supplies etc. to the south in La Mision and to the north in Cantamar, however there are several good restaurants nearby and it's an easy 8 mile drive back up the coast to Puerto Nuevo if you crave lobster and curio vendors.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Lack of services
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
6 Thank Robert B
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 July 2006

The Resort is very relaxing...If you wish to get away from your busy life and just go into a vacation coma..This is the place..No Tv...No Phones...peace and Quiet! Reasurants nearby ..Beautiful beach views.. Just a great place to clear your head.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed 21 October 2005

This resort is halfway between Rosarito Beach and Ensenada near La Fonda restaurant. So the down side is that it is not near any metropolitan areas. However I would recommend it for anyone who just wants an ocean front relaxing getaway. The condos are beautiful and each one is decorated individually in bright Mexican colors and with lovely paintings and furnishings. Sliding glass doors go out to a patio or balcony. I have stayed in several of the condos in between Rosarito and Ensenada and this by far was the best value in terms of the accomodations being lovely, and getting a lot for the money. Many of the condos I've stayed in have been allowed to run down. Not here! The resort is on a cliff overlooking the ocean with beautiful ocean views. A plaza has deck chairs and you can walk about 100 yards up to a swimming pool. There is also a trail down to the beach but i dont think it's a swimming beach. The staff is very friendly. When I was there, there was no restaurant so you either had to cook yourself or drive a half mile or so to a couple of restaurants nearby. The full kitchens have equipment so you can cook if you want to. We really enjoyed lounging out on the plaza with gorgeous views of the stunning blue sea, or sitting around the living room by the fireplace. We will definitely come back here!

• Stayed May 2004