“Theives, Not worth the risk”
Review of Quintas Papagayo

Quintas Papagayo
Ranked #6 of 38 Hotels in Ensenada
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I used this hotel to host some of my extended family who were in town for my wedding. I had gotten a "good deal" which turned out to be horrendous.
I thought that the rates were good since I got a package deal and since I was in a time crunch and they had availability I went ahead and booked 7 rooms. (the fact that they had so much availability should have clued me in) I did a walk through and saw a lot of dead cockroaches all over the place and some of that carpeting was gross and there was a sewer smell in some of the places, I asked to be moved from the rooms with the smell and for them to clean up the cockroaches which they assured me they would.
They did move us from the sewer smelling rooms, but when the guests got there, a few of them mentioned that there were dead cockroaches in their rooms...just disgusting. My family had flown in from another country and while at my wedding someone "broke into" the room where my dad was staying and stole 3 laptops and all the passports for my family. Did I mention that my dad, being wary of mexico, made sure that all the windows and doors were locked before he left? So the only way to enter was from the door, which was locked, When they got back, the thieves had left the window open to look like it was a break in...the window that they left open opened out onto the water....so did someone swim in and swim out with the laptops?? This made for a horrible border crossing for my whole family, who ended up waiting at the border for 5 hours while the authority's had to confirm that they were indeed American citizens. When I raised hell with the manager, they apologized for the break in and refunded us for that one room....seriously?? so not worth it. I will never use this place again, and you should avoid the possibility of them stealing from you. Better to book a more expensive hotel and have peace of mind, rather than ending up losing what could have been a lovely vacation by staying here.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
10  Thank Bajaadvisor

Reviewed 2 September 2008

This was the worst place I have ever statyed at. I know that it was a last minute thing, but jesus. I rented a condo for $155, the pictures on the website are nothing like the actual thing. The receptionists were plain rude and disrespectful. My friends and my wife and I have bug bites like no other from the beds, the receptionist refused to give us towels, and they have no ammenities. I would not recommend this place to anyone, even if your on a budget. I would rather sleep in my car....... Save yourself some time and money and plan your vacation on time so that you dont get caught up in a terrible situation like this.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank astec82
Reviewed 13 May 2008

We came here because they accepted dogs. The place during the winter IS FOR THE DOGS in February: cold, dank, only a tiny space heater to keep warm, and old non-functioning hot water heaters. We went to town while the manager tried to fix the water heater: we returned after four hours and still no hot water and the manager said to wait while he tried to fix it again. It was getting dark so we decided cancel our 7 day reservation and return to San Diego, where heat and hot water was a sure thing.
The manager refused to refund the first day there, while we were waiting for hot water BECAUSE, ACCORDNG TO VSIA, WE STAYED LONGER THAN 30 MINUTES AND WERE LIABLE FOR A FULL DAY' S STAY.

Forget about reviews you have read about this place. LOOK AT YOUR ROOM DURING YOUR FIRST 30 MINUTES THERE BEFORE DECIDING TO STAY. THE PLACE IS TEERRIBLE AND FIT FOR DOGS, YES, BUT NOT THEIR OWNERS.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank fandangopass
Reviewed 4 December 2006

This hotel is terrible. It charges US prices for rooms that could not even be rented in the United States. We were charged $122 for an Ocean front room. It the room had been habitable, it would have been a bargain. However, as it turned out, there was no heat (I stayed there on Dec 1st and it is COLD at night), no hot water (they had not bothered to light the pilot light of the hot water heater and even after it was turned on, did not heat the water to more than luke-warm ), had a filthy bathroom, a kitchenette in disrepair, 2 flimsy towels (smaller than normal bath-size, no face cloths or hand towels), a door through which you sould see day-light because the panels were not joined together completely (and therefore allowed the cold night air to continue to enter the room), furniture that was falling apart, missing tile from the shower and a bath tub with scum. There was a fireplace in the room and when we asked for wood to build a fire for warmth, were told that there would be a $5 charge for a bundle of 5 pieces! We made it through the night and when we asked to speak to the manager about an adjustment in the price, were told that she was not there and that the clerk couldn't do anything. After much persistance we were able to speak to her over the phone (although the clerks spoke English, she claimed that manager claimed that she did not , which forced us to try to resolve the situation in Spanish) The only concession the manager was willing to make was to reduce the room to a $100- a complete insult and totally unacceptable resolution for the conditions that we endured. All in all, we were completely ripped-off and I realize that my biggest mistake was not reading about this hotel on TripAdvisor before I went. Had I done so, I would never have gone. Don't make the same mistake I did. You would be better off anywhere else.

I was able to take some pictures of the room on my camera phone and if I can get them off, I will try to post them later.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
4  Thank sharkmom
Reviewed 7 September 2006

Ok. i've stayed at some bad hotels, but this one beats many and easily reaches top 5% of the worst hotels on my list. Here is why...
Seven of us stayed in variuos rooms of this hotel - one cottage with two rooms ($130/night), one kitchen-less suite ($84) and one Junior suite ($69).

> Overall: The rooms were plain filthy - disgustingly dirty/stained carpets, walls, toilets, kitchen and everything else. Strong, unpleasant smell all over the rooms. This place is anti-hygienic!!!

> Kitchen: Not a single utensil or kitchen appliance in the "full" kitchen. Not even matches to light the gas stove. Dark, barely cool refrigirator, with non-closing door.

> Bathrooms: filthy.. filthy.. filthy.. In one bathroom, the water stalled and spilled all over the bathroom; in the other, the water was leaving slower than it arrived, creating unpleasant layer or dirty water. No place to keep toothbrushes, soap, paste, etc.

> Bedrooms: absolutely no lights in one bedroom and very dark lights everywhere else. Dirty floors, carpet, windows, doors, and everything else.

> Staff: extremely hesitant to assist, even after I tipped several people with $1 to $5. The didn't want to bring an additional lamp, couldn't fix the drainage problem in the bathroom; and, weren't assistive in bringing the remote for the TV, which is a small 20 inch box.

There are a few positives... Hot water was easily available in the shower. Couldn't find any bugs (bed-bugs, cocroaches, etc) in the room. Matresses and linen appears to be new or at least very clean (the only clean thing). Also, it's relatively sizeable place, compared to American standards.

Regards.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
6  Thank Oleggio
Reviewed 6 September 2006

We stayed at the cottage with two bedrooms. The location is nice, a mile away from the center of Ensanada. The beach is just a few steps away. What shocked me the most, is the dirtiness of the condo and filthiness of the rooms. The water stinked, there was no light in one of the bedroom at all, and even though the kitchen is avail. there aren't any kind of dishes, or pots, just empty drawers. One of the neighbours tipped me to request dishware from the kitchen. We did so, however we had no soap or cleaning "supplies" to wash it with. There was no coziness or nice atmosphere, that one would want to have while on vacation . If you decide to stay there, I would suggest to bring your own everything!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
7  Thank shura1224
Reviewed 30 June 2006

I have been staying here for the past 15 years. It is a quaint-simple resort with rustic furniture and clean accomodations. It is not the Ritz Carlton, however, it is very peaceful place with a very nice clean pool. If you like ranch-like settings with beautiful sunsets, This is the place!!!!

• Stayed: October 2005