“Quiet, lovely place”

Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Punta Chivato
“Quiet, lovely place”
Reviewed 14 February 2011

I always stay with Attilio at Villaggio. It is on the outskirts of La Paz, very quiet. I love the coziness of the place, the quiet location, the wonderful food prepared by Attilio: Both dinner with his wonderful Italian specialties, and the lovely simple breakfast. The rooms are simple but clean, the little swimming pool is nice in the evenings. He and his family are on site, which gives Villaggio a warm and friendly feeling. Short walk to the beach, easy to get into La Paz, 10 minutes from the airport. And the price is good and the service is personal.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Oregon
Reviewed 31 December 2008

I'm not the greatest Spanish speaker, and Attilio, the owner, speaks mostly Spanish and his native Italian, but I could always understand him and make myself understood. He cares greatly that you have a good time while you are staying with him. The cabanas are clean, comfortable and reasonably accessible for a wheelchair user (me). They are nicely arranged around a pool, and far enough away from the restaurant that going to bed early is fine.

The real reason to stay here, though, is Attilio. He is such a wonderful guy. Ask him to show you the little booklet that explains his history and the history of Villaggio Touristico. He has had an adventurous and interesting life. If you like good food, Attilio wants to cook for you. Last night, we had his marinated pork, and I couldn't stop gnawing on the bone, hoping to get one more morsel of the moist and flavorful meat.

On Sunday, he cooks up Italian pizza the way they do it in Italy--paper thin crust; only fresh ingredients. Four of us dined on a big salad (delicious) and one pizza, and were satisfied. Of course, we downed a wonderful bottle of Montepulciano while we ate.

Attilio lives and works in the shadow of the venerable Eberhard across the street. In fact, I ended up here as "overflow" from Eberhard. Next time, though, I'll stay here with Attilio and get the daily maid service as well as the wonderful food.

Attilio is still figuring out how to market himself to non-Mexican tourists, but he has a great product to sell. His out-of-town place is extremely quiet and safe. It is a very short walk from the inner bay of La Paz which is very calm for swimming. Better come now before everybody figures out what a great deal it is to stay with him.

• Liked — Friendly owner
  • Disliked — no reliable internet, but I got it from across the street
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
eastern WA
Reviewed 25 September 2008

Comitan, El Centenario, La Paz accomodations-

The Villaggio Turistico is a small outdoor restaurant and 5 bungalows business operated by Attilio and Viviana w/ family. Across the Calle (street) from Hacienda del Sol (of Eberhard and Renata infamy) . Attilio doesn't speak much English but is fluent in Italian and Spanish. And he has a wonderful place to stay. I stayed (a woman by herself) in one of the bungalows for 3+ weeks in May 2008 and Attilio and Viviana were both very gracious and welcoming. I had been to Comitan in December with my family to Hacienda del sol and wrote a review. When I had to return to La Paz MX for business, I stayed at Villaggio Turistico Mar De Cortez (tourist village sea of cortez). Attilio and Viviana didn't even have consistent internet service until August 2008.

Even with our limited communication, I was still able to see emails Attilio had recieved from loyal customers asking when he would be having cabrito on the menu. I Loved It! When we first arrived in La Paz in December 2007, Attilito's cabrito was the first meal we ate and we all enjoyed it! Even our 8yr boy!

I had a GREAT 3 1/2 week stay and would like to share the place with others. It is definitely for a more secure traveler, as you need to have a good understanding of Spanish or Italian, or at least have an adventurous spirit about your travels. We had several Awesome dinners of things like cabrito, camaron and tiramisu. Whether or not you are staying at the bungalows, the restaurant is open for dinner business to everyone. Attilio serves a limited menu of fresh prepared dishes, usually consisting of spaghetti (not the usual red type!) lasagna, canneloni, and cameron, cabrito, pizza and other grilled/meat dished as available in the markets. His fresh ensalada is SOOOOO simple and good! Not to mention the vino rojo!

As a woman traveling alone, I felt secure but not intruded upon during my stay at the Villaggio Turistico. I I enjoyed the king-size bed and other comforts in the one-room bungalow. Beautiful gardens and a good size pool for swimming. If you are staying in a bungalow, 1-block from the bay, coffee and breackfast are also available!

Thanks-
If you google the above site, click on the Spanish version, you should see pics of the place and Attilio w/ Franco (son).
I'm not sure how good their internet resources are, you can try on the links, but when I was there, internet was very minimal and not available to me as a guest. It should be better now.
Good Luck, or just try them for dinner and go from there....
I'll tr to post pics as soon as I can figure it out :)

1 Thank salsa-lady116