“Very Safe ad responsible outfitter”
Review of Buceo Carey

Buceo Carey
More attraction details
Owner description: Diving center since 1992, instructor training facility, daily departures, packages with hotel, sales and rental equipment.
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We had a great diving trip, the dive master was excellent and the service great.
Most important, safety came first!!

1  Thank Patricia B

Reviewed 12 September 2011

Excellent Dive Center, Very professional. Amazing diving with sea lions and Wale Sharks.

1  Thank Jose Manuel F
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I enrolled at the Carey Diving Center with the jitters because of being some 77 years old,. and because of still retaining a childhood dread of being pushed underwater. As a child in Donegal Ireland our well intentioned parents, as was the practice , dunked us under immediately we dipped one toe into the frigid Atlantic .. The dunking was to speed our adjusting to the cold water.
My later obsession to view the fabled world below the sea off LaPaz competed with my childhood fears.

At the Carey Diving Center I was treated with cheerful caring attention through my certifying course. Near the course’s conclusion when sitting at the bottom of the 20 feet High Diving end of the La Paz public pool ,my confidence had grown remarkably .. Now, without misgiving, sitting so far below, I had removed and then had replaced my scuba diving gear as required .My self reliance came from Carey’s supportive and exacting tuition.
After the course completion my exuberance soared with their wonderful outings to swim with sea lion cubs, and to view the magic of the panoramic beauty of coral and of brilliant colored fish.
My overwhelming enthusiasm caused me to ignore my limited diving capacity I was , too soon, determined to dive with Hammerhead sharks. Senor Gabriel Vasquez ,my teacher ,master diver and owner of the Diving center firmly declined to take me
He explained I was not yet ready for that more advanced deeper dive. Nothing would change his mind. Today I am grateful for his enforcement of professional safeguards.
.Now 86 years old ,I have become more cautious myself to ensure enjoying some more diving years .
I have come to respect and trust Senor Vasquez’s high professional standards and his focused dedication to the safety of clients.
. I continue without hesitation to recommend the center to my friends. They include edgy seniors like myself, and also parents, anxious about their children’s safety.
Also, I applaud his personal community generosity such as his encouragement of marine study through a 50% deduction to students of Marine Biology at the Baja State university . Little wonder that today the Carey Center is rated the top No 3 attraction of LaPaz

With diving enthusiasts coming from all over our planet, the Carey diving graduate ,thrills in exploring LaPaz,s fabulously unique and special underwater world below its stunning coast. .
Andrew Thompson

1  Thank AndyTh0mps0n
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I am disappointed to read the negative experiences that other customers had with the Carey Dive Shop. I feel strongly that these bad experiences were just bad luck, bad timing, etc. My experience in March, 2010 was excellent, and I plan to return again one day!!! My husband and I went SCUBA diving one day and enjoyed our experience so much that we came back for snorkeling the very next day. We dealt directly with Fernando, Belen and Angel. All of them were courteous, professional and lots of fun. Belen explained exactly what to expect when we went diving/snorkeling with the sea lions, so we felt comfortable swimming with them since we had been educated on their behavior. They did a wonderful job spotting the whale sharks which allowed us a wonderful, up-close viewing of these amazing animals. I recommend using the Carey Dive Shop when diving and snorkeling in La Paz, and I look forward to going back again!

1  Thank ejjtarheel
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I can't read the French review above other than the "It's a swindle!" but I'm probably giving a similar opinion.

We went on a snorkel trip to Espiritu Santo with Carey on 3rd April 2009. They are incompetent and rip you right off.

We were told to turn up at 8am, but at 10am we were still waiting for a boat. The first boat was dropped off its trailer (with a big crash!) so they had to sort out a replacement.

We set off in the replacement boat soon after 10am but the engine kept cutting out. The dive mistress said that as we had engine problems we could not go to the 4 locations promised, ie, 3 dive locations for the 3-tank divers and the whale shark location.

Instead we went to 2 locations, the 3-tank divers had to do 2 dives at 1 location, the 2-tank divers and the snorkellers waited around while the 3-tank divers rested between dives.

At the 2nd location the captain lost his anchor and we sat around for another hour whilst the dive mistress tried to find it.

We went nowhere near any whale shark habitat and eventually limped home with the sick engine.

The "gourmet lunch" was a sad bun with a lettuce leaf and 2 slices of salami accompanied by a teaspoon of pasta salad in a styrofoam box, oh, and some fizzy drinks.

That was all we had to eat all day, we didn't get back until 6pm, ie, 3 hours late (despite only having done half the program).

We paid $85 USB for this heap of incompetence and at the end of the day Carey offered us a free beer and a Carey wristband as an apology for our inconvenience!!!!

Avoid like the plague.