All reviewsgreek islandsla perlaplace to stay in la pazenjoyed our stayzoemaleconmexicoproximity
Reviewed 16 September 2009

I am just back from 6 weeks traveling in Mexico. Before I tell you about my lovely stay at the Mediterrane I want to dispel some notions about Mexico. The media have been seriously rubbishing Mexico. Do not listen to them.

1. I did not have my head cut off by a nasty drug dealer.
2. I felt incredibly safe.
3. The Mexicans are welcoming, respectful and honest.
4. The buses are comfortable, run on time and inexpensive.
5. The streets are clean.
6. I did not catch swine flu.

OK, now for Norbert and Saul. Their hotel is 100 metres from the beach where I swam every morning. My room was clean, comfortable and well priced. All the staff were charming and Norbert and Saul were great company.

La Paz is a lovely city and well worth a visit. You have to do the boat trip to Isla Espiritu Santo and swim with the sea lions. Truly awesome.

Thanks guys for a great welcome and wonderful stay.

Abrazos to all at the Med.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 February 2009

This hotel is very convenient to the waterfront as well the heart of the old city. We stayed five nights in the "Mykonos" room at the end of January, and we were pleased overall with our stay.

The room was clean and there was a shower. Linens were plain but refreshed daily. We even had a bit of a view of the Malecon from the balcony. Despite this, we did not notice much street noise.

Their cafe serves hot breakfasts starting at 7:00 a.m., so you can get a good start on a full day's actvities. They also have a wonderful swiss meusli if you prefer.

We ate dinner twice at the adjoining restaurant, La Pazta, and enjoyed both meals. Entrees were well prepared and an excellent value. A dessert highlight is the nusstorte.

Some things to consider -- the bed was quite firm, which took a bit of getting used to. There are no phones in the rooms, but they do have a wi-fi hotspot so you can stay connected.

They're open and welcoming to a diverse mix of travelers. Overall, a good value!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2008

We chose this property for 2 nites, purely for the fact they'd take our pooch. We were assigned the Paros room. When I walked in the first thing I noticed was the broken floor length mirror and the curtains sagging from the rods. The bathroom 'mat' was actually an old mexican throw rug that should have been tossed along time ago. The shower was badly / permanently stained. This room was in desperate need of a remodel. The king bed sat on a wood platform that squeaked with the slightest motion. Neither my husband nor I slept either nite. They had place mats on the night stands which were stained .

We are not 'travel snobs' and have traveled all over Mexico. For the money, we felt we could have done better. There was a minifrig and TV. Other amenities: bar of soap and a bottle of water. If you've never been to Mexico, often shampoo is not included and never hair dryers or irons. You're right off the malecon so it's noisy all night. If you're deadset on this property, ask for an upstairs room. The young guys who worked the front desk were extremely helpful and this is the info they gave us...stay upstairs next time. We had breakfast there (I see this hotel is listed under B&Bs but it is not...) and it was okay....

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2007

We spent 8 days in April at Hotel Mediterrane and were very pleased! Nicely decorated rooms, friendly, cooperative staff and they allowed pets! We found the hotel quiet and no traffic noise at all! Very secure setting. Also great restaurant with wonderful pizzas and other Italian selections! Great location in center of town for walking on the malecon and exploring downtown area!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2007

We were to stay at this site for 14 days. We arrived early afternoon and went to our room. The street noise was so bad that we could not even take a nap. The hotel is about 1/2 block from the very busy malecon (main street) and has 2 other streets near by. The windows are not thermalpane and therefore do not block the noise. The staff are friendly and we tried 2 other rooms, but were still noisy. This 2 hour process cost us $93 USD and we then moved hotels.

We then wandered down the malecon looking for another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple