“Solid Diving Experience”
Review of Baja Expeditions

Baja Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are Baja California's pioneer in minimum-impact expeditions and base eco camps for the adventurous and conscious traveler. Cruise the Sea of Cortez aboard our Catamaran "EL Mechudo", explore Espíritu Santo Island while staying at our eco-camp, or discover the magic of the Grey Whales in San Ignacio Lagoon.
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Given the conditions we experienced we were not able to take advantage of all the diving near La Paz, but I would definitely recommend Baja Expeditions. The boats were the typical, somewhat awkward pangas so common in Mexico, but the Captains and Divemaster were well above the typical skill we have encountered. We dove what the conditions allowed, most memorable were excellent dives with the sea lions at Islote and the plethora of fish life at La Reina sea mount.
Safety was a priority and the variety of skill levels in our 6 person group was catered to efficiently. Boat rides in the area are long, but beautiful with dolphins encountered most days. Surface intervals were well managed and a quite nice lunch was provided every day. Far better than standard dive boat fare with multiple options and excellent fresh fruit ever day.
If I head back to La Paz I will aim for fall as that sounds like the best diving season overall, and I will choose Baja Expeditions.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

We spend 4 1/2 days at the lagoon going out on two-a-day whale encounters. To say that this is a life-changing experience is to put it mildly. You do pet whales and get their spouts right in your face. You'll never see the world the same way again. I'm tempted to go on and on, but I'll just say the people simply couldn't have been better, the whales are incredible, and the lodging, food, etc., is rustic (showers and bathrooms in separate outbuildings, iffy internet, power off in the cabanas during the day, etc.--but just fine. The last thing you want out there is the usual. And you'll feel like a member of the family, and you'll miss the people when you leave. The camp is a bit far from the whale-watching grounds, so be prepared for a 20-minute high-speed boat ride, which is fun when the water if flat and fairly hairy when the wind is up. Do not go for just one day, as many do--you need to enter this world in a more complete way than is possible in 24 hrs, and you can't guarantee good weather or congenial whales on a given day. It isn't cheap, but you'll never regret paying the money.

4  Thank jack r
Reviewed 6 March 2013

What an experience, we stayed in a basic cabana, it was clean so were the loos, and were right on the waters edge. At night we could hear the whales blowing away 20 feet from us. We were taken out twice a day with very knowledgable guides and saw so many whales, mating, breaching, 'heads up', mothers bringing their calves to the boat to be touched, at one stage we didn't know which direction to look! We truly loved it. The food was very good and the drinks were delicious. Happy hour every night with buckets of cocktails, everyone sharing their day, absolutely wonderful. My only sadness what not to share it with my children, but perhaps thats a good excuse to come back.

4  Thank serena m
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I spent 3 days at the Baja Expeditions camp at San Ignacio Lagoon and I have to say that 5 stars is simply not sufficient. I had the opportunity to touch a mother Gray Whale and a calf on several excursions out onto the lagoon. I also explored the plants and birds and beautiful multi-hued waters of the desert salt ponds. The accommodations are simple but comfortable though not for the 5-star hotel crowd. The little cabanas have views of the lagoon and great meals are served in the main building which is framed and thatched with palms. The staff is knowledgeable and welcoming. Don't miss this!

3  Thank Dcrosen
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Dec 2012 booked this trip through our Hotel - Royal Solaris in San Jose Del Cabo. OMG was amazing. I am not a swimmer but our guide Alberto was so patient with me and would pull me over to the Whale Sharks. Wonderful creatures . Highly recommend this tour

3  Thank Scottie4756