“Great place far off the beaten track”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Paz
Punta Pescadero Paradise
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We have only been there once, back in 1998, but loved it. We flew in in our own plane coming accross the Sea of Cortez from Guaymas. They have their own paved airstrip right on the coast and you can call in via unicom radio. They will send someone over to the airstrip to pick you up. Most of the rooms face the ocean and are nice with comfortable beds. They have a small beachfront (approx 100 yds.) but you can snorkel, or rent a panga to go out fishing. It is only a shory 20 min. flight on to San Jose del Cabo which is a large international airport and you can rent a car and drive on to Cabo San Lucas. They serve all three meals at their resturant and the food was good. not great, but certainly not bad. I would suggest going there in mid March to early June and then from mid October to mid December. It is definately off the beaten track, we heard about it from another private pilot and so we tried it on a lark and were very pleased. Nothing in the way of nightclubs or Discos, just kick back and sun and read and maybe snorkel and sun and read and......well you get the idea. It is very relaxing and romantic. We really enjoyed our stay there. (4nights) and then on to Cabo (3 nights) and then back to the mainland an home. You can drive there if you are adventerous and you would be better off with a 4-wheel drive vehicle. There are many small towns on the Baja you can stop at and enjoy the local flavor. It's been 10 years since we were there so I can't speak as to the safety along the route if you choose to drive.

Room Tip: Do not stay there unless you want to "recharge your batteries" there is very little to do...
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mickey S

Reviewed 11 September 2011

I can not understand how people can say this is the best value. We checked in for 2 night(that's right I said 2 nights) the rate for locals was $185 per night. That is fine. Then they offer an all inclusive option for $65 per day another local rate?? No that is for anyone. So we did no activities, NOTHING!!! just relax. Had a couple of beers, did the all inclusive option for the full day. The first night just had dinner. Got there just before closing (actually they stayed open for 20 minutes longer, because it was impossible to find) Oh by the way, they charge for a Salad, and Ribeye dinner $40 Nothing else.No drinks. So the inclusive made sense, for @25 more it would include Breakfast, and Lunch Right!! So we had Breakfast on the day of checkout. Oh I got about a 10 dollar credit for my Steak dinner the night before. Did I say that I asked for a medium steak, and it came out RAW!!! With no effort to do anything we went back to our room to sleep.
So on checkout my Bill was $9500 Pesos. That's RIGHT $9500 Pesos, Over $850 for 2 nights, 1 day of all inclusive, NO ACTIVITIES!!! If that is a good value than maybe I should go buy property out there as well. I will never recommend this place!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank splaat59
Reviewed 4 October 2010

9-30-10
My girlfriend and I took the rental car from buena vista and headed north. narrow dirt roads, but not to bad for our rental jetta. our plan was to snorkel upon the point. we were amazed with the clarity and the number of fish we saw. almost as good as cabo pulmo..not too many "large" fish near shore, but we saw schools of many different kinds of fish. I fished from the rocks and caught some in a short time. after hours in the water, we looked at the hotel. there were two other people there when we came. august and september are off season for the heat, but if you like the water, its worth it. we are going to stay here a few nights next year. at a glance the hotel and rooms looked very nice.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hzr12
Reviewed 31 May 2010

It is very out of the way! But a beautiful spot overlooking Sea of Cortez.Probably because of 1) the economy 2) some increased crime in Northern Baja-Having nothing to do with this area. 3) some lingering Swine flu fears---we almost had the place to ourselves. The staff couldn.t do enough for us. The place is lovely. our room with a terrace overlooking the beach was great. Food was unremarkable---tho' they did a nice job with their steaks.We scubaed but it was too early (cold and windy) in the season (with a diveshop 30 min away but picked us up.) Anyway, you come here for the rest more than the rfecreation. (we did enjoy renting a quad and driving up the local "road".) So if you want to really get away--to relax--have romance--read---at a gorgreous spot,this is for you.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Just got back from Punta Pescadero last night.

We were the only ones there, save several staff for much of our three nights. We upgraded to the hot tub room after our first night because the weather was windy nad not much fun for swimming. The hot tub became our meeting place as it overhangs the beach and is protected by the wind a bit.

Food was very good - fresh, but expensive for what you get. Tortillas were yummy, hot and fresh, and the pico de gallo was excellent and a staple with every meal. Breakfasts were exceptional - Mexican favorites like juevos rancheros were masterful.

I was surprised to see a tiny, two tablespoons dollop of beans and a very small "dipping sauce" size mould of rice with each entree. For the $8 - $14 per entree, I would have expected a lot more. Yep - prices are definately state-side. Bring your own bottled water and booze - they gouge the heck out of you there.

Also, check the bill. Our group rented several rooms for three nights. After agreeing on a "2 nights and get the third for free" deal, we got the third night at full price on the bill. It was an hour and a half to negotiate this ($600) off the bill.

Service for pretty much everything was very......very......slow. Remember though, this is Baja, and you're supposed to be relaxing, right? We also brought our own entertainment in the form of books and board games. They have ATVs to rent and the property's beaches are great for finding shells. other than that, there is a horse show pit, the bar with a large tv (6 channels), the pool and a library of many books left behind by previous travelers. Some of our group went to town in the ATVs and we were able to arrange for some horses to ride along the beach as well.

No beach vendors, no roadside taco stands....really noone at all! We felt as though we were staying at our own villa for much of the trip. It is not the bustling, wild party as one finds in Cabo, 60 miles to the south, but for some of us that's just the way we like it.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2009

My mother (Sabina Tangeman) owned Casa Sabina. She and her girlfriend's were the Punta Princesses. The "girls" would go for 1-2 weeks while the husbands went trout fishing in the states.

I loved this place the first time I went there. I understand there is a paved road going into PP now but the old, cliff road with all the washboard bumps made the trip more exciting. I loved that there was no tv, could only get spanish radio channels, and the view (with whales in the spring).

Suggestions: If you are going to any of the "pueblos" in the area, ask on your flight if anyone else is going to one of the resorts along the way to PP (East Cape). The price of a "combi", taxi used to be one price for a full van. The prices are usually fixed within the booking agents. Don't tell the booking agent that you want to go to town first to pick up supplies. Negotiate that with the driver and a tip. Have the driver head toward Los Cabos and there are food and alcohol stores (mercados).

If you go during the winter months, pack summer clothes in your flight bag as it will be hot and humid at the airport and in the taxi. You don't want to have to be digging through your suitcase at the airport. Change into those clothes before departing to your destination as most combi's don't have a/c. If you don't need to go into town, be sure and purchase refreshments at the airport as the trip takes approx. 2 hrs. and their is always a chance that your taxi might break down (never happened to me).

After the first excitement of seeing Baja, you might as well read or nap until you get to the coast. Or learn about the area from the driver. BEWARE! Mexicans drive entirely differently than we do in the states. If it is a cool day, cows and sheep may be on the road.

Attire at the hotel is casual. The staff all speak english and live in El Cardenal. There is a tv in the bar for sports and weather mostly.

Yes, the prices of meals is rediculously high. Wow, one post said breakfast is about $20 now!!! We complained about it and we didn't have to eat there. So, we chose which one or 2 special meals we would go for a meal. If there is a group of you and option is to go into Los Barrilles for dining. But my best suggestion would be to stock up in Los Cabos and have some ready-to-eat items.

Yes, the fishing is so-so. I caught during one season a 60# swordfish, 150# striped marlin and a $250# blue marlin. I kept the blue and released the other two. The fish was given to the staff and hotel. It was used at the hotel as smoked and civiche. Another season we caught yellowtail, rooster and dolphin, I like dophin the best.

Snorkling can be iffy. Only one time of all the times I was there did I have clear water. Plankton was heavy most of the other times or Hurricane warning weather. Scuba is suggested more than snorkle. But I took a friend who could not swim snorkling, holding her hand while snorkling and she had a great time.

The houses there are unbelieveable. If Wendy is still managing the hotel, ask her about renting one of the houses. Our house has 2 master bedrooms, and an attached guest house, jacuzzi, 4 decks, a palapa (tiki hut) which you get to by the private stairway to the beach. Full kitchen and washing machine. That's how it was before it was sold due to Mom's death. Then you can prepare your own meals. Our house could sleep 6 adults in beds, and lounge chairs for kids. We adults even slept in the lounge chairs on the decks, at times. With a large group, partying in Punta is more fun than up at the bar, every night. And, if you rent a house, there is a could chance that the neighbors may have a party and include you.

Yes, walk forever on the white, sandy beaches but don't be deceived that you are alone. This first time we took a very long walk that night; the bartender "told" use how far we went. I think the area citizens are watching for nude bathers for their own enyoyment.

There is no shopping in PP so plan your vacation to do some in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo

Safe in PP? Definitely. Almost all workers are from El Cardenal and most are related to each other. Their livelihood depends on the hotel. So any crime reflects upon the village and it's people.

Yes, if the roads are washed out, you will have to fly in. The landing strip is safe and private. You can even see one or two homes with an airplane garage along the runway.

If any of you who are reading this review go to PP, tell everyone "hello" from Sabinita, my PP name. Better know as, Averi

Have a great time!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Totch1
Reviewed 16 July 2008

Exec Summary: Not a good value & would not recommend.

Rooms: Clean and well maintained. Very good AC. Desalinated water.

Dining: Excellent view. Food was very good for Baja, but average to below average by US standards. Servers were friendly.

Hotel Management: Very poor. This was my 2nd stay at PP. There was a problem with my bill the 1st year and the mgmt promised a $400 credit on my next stay. The 2nd year, 6/08, I produced a hard copy of the e-mail exchange with the manager. He denied approving such an arrangement. He then tried to negotiate a lower credit. Eventually, I received the credit. So far so good? Well, not really, the manager *misjudged* the peso to dollar conversion and even though the hotel prices are in dollars, the final bill is paid in pesos and then reconverted to dollars. I lost $150 in the exchange. I asked via 3 e-mails over 2 weeks for an explanation, but I did not receive a reply. The blanket gratuity also didn't match what the website advertised. Its not a lot of money, but I can't help but feel nickel & dimed.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family