“the dichotomy of club cantamar” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Hotel Cantamar

Club Hotel Cantamar
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in La Paz
Geneva, Switzerland
“the dichotomy of club cantamar”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

This was my second trip to club cantamar. The first in about 2004, and the second in 2011.

The dichotomy of this place ihe difference between the hotel and the dive operation. On the whole the dive operation is very good. The boats are roomy and comfortable, and the setup with dive lockers, wash stations etc is very good. The dive masters are very competent in english.

However, the hotel operationis awful, and it has descended from a reasonable place, somewhere that will never have my return business. Although our visit was in low season, we had to spend our first night in a regular room. Despite having booked and paid for a junior suite but the room wasn't ready. The ac in our suite was down for 2 days, and we were shuffled in and out of two other rooms.in two weeks we had a total of 5 different rooms.

We booked a full board (breakfast and supper) holiday. They didn't tell us that there wasa separate menu for full board dining, and wanted to bill us extra for having eaten our first meals a la carte. We make note that we were the only diners in the restaurant.

The owners, who live onsite, refused to listen to our conerns, or even to discuss them with us. We left several messages at the reception, and they simply told staff to ignore
While the diving was good, there are other providers in la Paz.

I would suggest that it is not worth the risk of staying at the hotel. Unless, of course, you want to hve poor service...

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank frank f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Great Falls, Montana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

I have been diving for 41 years, I am both PADI and NAUI certified and dive all over the world, on a monthly basis. Over the past 12 years I have been on many dives (over 20) with Club Cantamar and have always found their diving practices extremely safe, very professional, and they have always been reliable. I would rate then equally with the best dive operations found anywhere in the United States. I have enjoyed every one of my dive days with them, they always try their best to accommodate, weather it is following a pod of dolphins for 20 minutes, well out of there way to the dive sites, or loaning a piece of diving equipment to a guest that forgot theirs. I have always found their equipment and boats to be in good repair and have never found a short fill in any of the tanks. The dive brief before each of their dives has always been detailed and complete. The diving near La Paz is world class and you can spend several days diving and see something new, different and exciting each day. The boat ride to the dive sites is a wonderful experience, with much to see, and snorkeling for those who don’t scuba dive, a wonderful days outing for the whole family. You will not find a safer or more professional dive operation anywhere. They always go the extra mile for their quests.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Creed E
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

Please dont stay at this hotel is really really Bad smells like Diesel and they have a big problem with flies. There is no Staff staying after 10pm so if you have an emergency or any issue you will be on your own ( personal experience) its quite a shame cause all the diving staff were awesome the boat aswell.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alessio P

Travellers are raving about these La Paz hotels

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

I had so much fun, the dive guide and staff was very kind and I enjoyed every minute of this trip. And boat was very big and comfortable.
I can say without reservation that Cantamar is the clear choice for a safe, fun dive experience in the LaPaz.
I will come back and I am for sure doing scuba diving again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank RunRun2009
Bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

My husband and I have just spent 8 days at Club Cantamar. Having read somewhat mixed reviews on Tripadvisor, we were curious to see what the resort would be like. I have to say, we had a thoroughly enjoyable time!

The room (we had a junior suite) was large and airy, with two large balconies. It was basic, clean and comfortable - the a/c worked well and the bed was very comfy indeed! The resort's restaurant was perfectly fine, serving a good pre-diving breakfast and also reasonable evening meals. The swim-up bar always managed to provide a cold post-dive beer and tequila. The dive operation is excellent - really good dive boats, a very smooth and well-run operation and fantastic divemasters. The boats left pretty much on time in the morning and came back in at the expected time or earlier in the afternoon/evening. The diving itself was excellent and the day on the dive boat extremely enjoyable - the captain always provided a good lunch and the divemasters were all extremely knowledgeable, friendly and passionate about their work. Overall, all the staff at the resort were great - the place has a really friendly, family feel to it.

If you expect a 5-star luxury resort where you can nip off to the Spa, the shops or into town during the day, then Club Cantamar is not for you - it is a resort by divers for divers. However if you want a comfortable stay in a beautiful area with great diving and a very friendly, personal atmosphere, then I can highly recommend this resort. We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravellerFromBath
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

I spent five weeks here with a group of students for a tropical marine biology class. We left the marina on two boat trips, one for the day and an overnight one, and both were great. The food was delicious, and although I only snorkeled, I heard the diving was decent, although visibility was poor at times. The rooms were adequate, and although the showers could have been hotter, our floors were cleaned every day and the beds were nice. The staff went to great lengths to please almost 20 college students, and we ate at the restaurant about twice a day, which was almost always great. I can honestly say I miss the great people there like Alex, Moises, and Pepe. The beach was beautiful, and everytime I snorkeled there, I noticed more and more diversity. I can't wait to spend more time at Cantamar in the future!

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better views. In the 100 rooms, rooms ending in 1 or 5 have balconies.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dothan, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Poor AC in 110 degree weather.Bad restaurant and bar.No water in room on several occasions.
Small pool.Next to ferry marina.No fitness center.
Diving conditions poor.Strong current and poor visibility.
Fishing may be ok?

Room Tip: No good rooms.Lousy hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family