“Too bad it is going down...”

La Concha Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Baltimore, Maryland
“Too bad it is going down...”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Despite the mixed reviews, we decided to give the La Concha resort a try. I have to agree with most of what the others said. This could be a very nice place with very little effort but the way it is, I can only rank it average. It is right on the beach. There are some algae in the water but otherwise the beach is quite nice. The pool is pretty nice too although the water has a slightly funny smell. (Talking about smell, there seem to be some sewage leaks somewhere in the back yard. Just noticeable but this kind of problems should be taken care of immediately.) Rooms are not large but perfectly fine. Furniture is a bit tired but certainly functional. Somewhat annoying was that they ran out of beach towels for the pool but after a few minutes discussion, they gave us additional room towels. We had bought the American Breakfast option on Expedia. It was only a few dollars and worth it at that price but I wouldn't want to pay the regular price for what is offered.

On the positive side, we got a very good rate. Staff was friendly and rooms were clean. They had very nice common (lounge) areas which showed that this used to be a very nice place. There were a few flies in the restaurant but I suppose some of that is unavoidable in a semi-outdoors setting.

We could not confirm the complaints about excessive noise. We slept very well without disturbances.

Overall, I don't regret we went there and it was certainly fine for the one night we stayed. I would not want to stay there for a longer time though.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ErnestFromBaltimore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My wife and I spend a five day, four night mini-vacation in La Paz, Mexico. Hotel was very good, restaurant was very good, although prices in town were much better. La Paz has an excellent selection of restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trautert
Palmdale, California
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We have been going to La Paz each year for 7 years. We are very familiar with the area. Previously we stayed at Las Gaviotas Hotel in town just above the Malecon. We were always pleased with the hotel until RCI disafilliated with it as a timeshare. The only option closest to town was La Concha for our timeshare choice. On one positive note the room was spacious. We were told we would have one bedroom and a sofa bed. There was one bedroom, but no sofa bed. I was so glad we did not invite another couple to join us. That would have been a disaster. The kitchen/condo was not well stocked. I had to ask for bowls, knives, a new blender (to replace the broken one), a blow dryer, an ironing board and a microwave oven. The remaining dishes and pans were old, worn or dented. The location of the hotel is beautiful in that it has a private beach with nice landscaping and a very nice pool (that is now working). Our biggest complaint was the noise. The hotel books weddings on Saturdays. Be prepared to forego a good night's rest. The wedding started on the beach in the afternoon. The DJ started playing music softly, but as it got later the music was turned up so loud you could hear it in the room with the doors and windows closed. I made a call to the lobby who said the music would be over by 12 (midnight)... The next morning I complained politely to the person at the desk who told me that there would not be another event until the next Saturday. No apology. No excuse. That's just the way it is. Unfortunately, the following Friday there was a party in the parking lot just across a small street from the hotel. Trucks, cars, drunkeneness and music blaring until 4 in the morning. I had read about this in another post. I guess this is a regular occurence. So be prepared. We did enjoy our stay there in spite of the unresponsive attitude of the staff...in fact they were just short of rude. The only people who were kind and anxious to please were the maids. Even the waiters at the bar were iffy. I felt like they were doing us a favor to wait on us. Also, I did notice that the hotel rooms were being renovated. I got to walk inside one. Yes, the rooms are small, but they have new beds, new flatscreen TV's and renovated bathrooms with beautiful tile. So, you might enjoy the location, and might have to ignore the atypical inhospitality of the Mexican staff there, but I think you would still have a good time. Just don't expect a five star resort because it isn't. I wouldn't even have minded if the manager and his staff had been nicer. We had one breakfast there...the weekend buffet was very good and reasonable. We had meals by the pool which were just OK and overpriced.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank nydia i

Travellers are raving about these La Paz hotels

TIjuana, Mexico
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My husband & I came here for our tenth wedding anniversary. I had booked online through a popular secondary website where it was advertised as a King size bed with breakfast for 33% off "pre temporada" sale. I called ahead & requested a few things. #1- a non-smoking room due to hubby's allergies. #2- to be in the new part of the hotel (read this on others reviews) & #3- since it was our anniversary, I wanted to have some wine in the room ready when we arrived. The sales lady, told me about a pkg for $500 pesos, she could have flowers, candles, wine, and snacks ready in the room. Ok great! Deal!

We arrive. First room is NOT a king size bed at all, and even tho it says non smoking outside, it reeks of smoke. There were not flowers in the room but old bent & browned pink, white, & blue rose petals all over the room & on the not king size bed in the shape of a heart with our initials. (I'll put up a pic). Cute. Ok. But NOT what we expected, and like I mentioned the petals were old, browned & bent. The wine wasn't there, nor the snacks, the candles were there but no lighter. The room reeked of smoke & was tiny so we called Salli, the coordinator of all this. She came quickly & showed us another room that smelled better but was still tiny. I asked her where the rooms from the brochure are or the ones from the website? My reservation was supposed to be a king bed, not a double. She took us then to a third room, that looked like one in the brochure, the simplistic one on there, not the pretty ones advertised. But it smelled better, and the bed was queen, so we took it. In general it seemed she wanted to do well, but it was a big disappointment in what was advertised/promised vs what we got. The pool was nasty the whole time dirty cups floating in it & leaves. The jacuzzi was empty & no signs of it coming to life soon (see pic). The towels & linens were very worn & sparse. No washcloths at all. The best thing I think was the breakfast & coffee on the patio by the pool in the AM's. The waiters were nice & the huevos rancheros were yummy. But even the fruit plate, if you choose it, doesn't look like the picture. Someone in marketing for this hotel has done a good job at making it look MUCH BETTER online than in person. Fortunately a man on the plane suggested we rent a car & we did. Thanks to that we were able to get away from the hotel & explore beaches with freedom. For us, it was a place to sleep, shower, & have breakfast. Nothing more. For what we got, we should've paid a lot less. We loved the beaches, tours, & food in LaPaz, but next time we will either pay less somewhere else for about what we got here or we will pay a lot more for a newer nicer cleaner place.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank blondepenguin
Indianapolis
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This hotel is nicely located, a bit out of town, with a nice pool and beach.

We paid 85 euros per night. The room was small, so was the shower, and it looked a bit old. Dodgy TV, sink out of the bathroom, not worth 85 bucks.

But the real issue came up during the night where sound insolation is terrible. People passing through the corridors, drunk people knocking at doors and shouting (not being filtered by the staff), staff working in the morning, doors slamming. Just very unpleasant. We didn't sleep so well and in the end didn't stay the second night.

It's a decent hotel in low season, with less people and hopefully lower prices. Avoid it in peek season.

Room Tip: We were in 228, very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week before a planned move to Hacienda Paraiso. We had a large apartment sized time share unit on the second floor. Two bathrooms, two balconies. I had to ask for a microwave and they brought one up. The best things about the place were the beach front location, the friendly staff, the restaurant, the lovely three mile walk from town along the malecon. The least positives were the complete lack of any resort type activities, such as spanish lessons, beach volleyball, etc. A staff member told me they don't have the staff for those activities. We also experienced the loud partying across the street in the paking lot. Also, connecting with the internet in our room was spotty and the phones were not good. The hot tub wasn't working the whole time. This could be such a nice place, being on the water and all. I think the owner is using it as a tax write-off while he focuses on his condo project next door. We had a decent time there because we are flexible. I would highly recomment Hacienda Pariaso in La Paz. The owners, who built this home-away-from-home, are on site, involved and go the extra mile to ensure you get the most out of your vacation. Check it ou!

Room Tip: I believe they all have ocean views. Get one away from the pool in case anyone happens to be at La...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary D
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed 8 May 2012

The pool was out of order the entire time we were there. We understand things can go wrong so we made the best of it. Other problems were jack hammering all day in the room next to us, partying in the lot across the parking lot ALL NIGHT on weekend nights. This included lots of cars/trucks and very loud music from each!! We asked at the front desk and they said that the call the police but they do nothing. Couldn't sleep all night!
The restuarant was very good. Had wonderful helpful and friendly staff. The cost of a drink on the beach was high (about $10 US). Tasted great but too high, especially with no pool and jack hammering in the background!
Resort is clean but old. In the process of remodeling. Has potential, but not there yet.
We love La Paz, but LaConcha, not so much.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple