“Surprisingly nice”

Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Los Gatos, California
“Surprisingly nice”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We arrive with the intention of staying for one night. We ended up leaving three nights later. This hotel is very nice and quite comfortable. A couple of notes:

- No elevator. Not a big deal if you do not mind walking up several flight of stairs or you get a room at the bottom floor, but something to be aware
- Some of the rooms on the right side of the hotel, when facing the entrance, can be quite noisy because they are near a garage or metal shop. Not too noisy, but again something to be aware
- We stayed in a suite on the left side of the hotel and it was quite big and comfortable. Really nice
- In June 2013 work was being done on the road to the hotel. That meant that when driving from La Paz you had to actually pass the hotel and do a u-turn after the hill to get to it. Make sure to ask for directions or you will easily miss it.
- A drink at the bar on the pier next to the hotel at sunset is a must.

Room Tip: The suites are very nice and quite spacious
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
California
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My long time friends renewed their vows at La Concha. The event took place outside overlooking the bay of La Paz. It was a wonderful time, the view was breathtaking as the sun defended over the mountains leaving a glow on the water. The the decorations and food were great. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The hotel is old but the rooms are clean and very reasonable. I would highly recommend La Concha Beach Resort for that special time one would like remember forever.

• Stayed April 2013
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Or almost anywhere. If you can find a full service beach hotel for about sixty bucks a night elsewhere in Baja, I'd like to know about it. The building and the beds are older but clean, every room has a refrigerator, the staff is friendly and speaks English and the view from all the upper-floor rooms is spectacular. Our flight out of La Paz was delayed and the front desk let us check out at 5 PM instead of noon, no extra charge. That didn't make me like the place any less.

You can find better rooms on the water in La Paz at maybe two other spots, but they'll cost you twice as much or more. I vacation in Baja Sur every year, making a couple stops besides La Paz, and I usually begin and end the trip right here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard C
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Very nice and comfortable spot right on the beach just south of the picturesque capital of La
Paz. Restaurant food and service was excellent. Breakfast, especially was very good with
eggs, ham, chilaqauiles, fruit, juice, coffee, et al. Room had all the conveniences and was
very clean. We stayed here for two nights and each was very enjoyable, and it was easy to
go snorkeling and birding on the nearby islands.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank hplunkett
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night just to check out La Paz. Hotel is dated but clean and the bed was comfortable. Our stay came with a breakfast which was good also. Nice little beach area, the water is very clear and you can see colourful little fish without having to snorkel. The main downfall for me was I thought we could walk to town, which we did, but in the evening it's too far and dark, plus there is a section with no proper walkway. I would stay here for a short stay again but I would probably look for somewhere else for a stay of more than a day or two. As a side note ... La Paz was beautiful! Turquoise waters, beautiful beaches and an amazing boardwalk. Can't wait to go back and see more.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle W
British Columbia
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed at La Concha for four days and had a great time. Staff were incredibly friendly and the location is great, right on the beach with a dive shop a short stroll away. The rooms could use some updating but they are clean and provide the basics. I would absolutely stay at La Concha again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellingcori
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This hotel is a lovely but it is an older Mexican hotel... on a beach just south of La Paz....It is a good value for what we paid, great location just outside the city and our booking included a lovely served breakfast each morning. Waitstaff was wonderful and very friendly. The restaurant had delicious food and the bar/pool area had a beautiful ocean view. The wedding reception on Saturday night ended by 11 pm and there was not an issue with noise. My husband and I went on a kayak adventure for a couple of hours...use is included in hotel stay. I had a massage and the next day a facial....in the spa. The exercise gym area is tiny. Excursions including snorkeling and scuba take off right there on the property.

I really liked the hotel, but we did have some issues with housekeeping service and it turns out our room door lock was malfunctioning so after a visit to the General Manager they moved us to a nearby room. Rooms are basic...no safe, no chain lock on door...no stopper in sink....glad I didn't lose any jewelry down the drain! But for what we paid including breakfast I still believe it is a good value for it's lovely location.

Would I stay there again? Well, I would stay in the privately owned La Concha condos next door which give you all the benefits of the hotel guests...that building is about 30 feet away from the hotel property..so it's very close. Before the trip, I had inquired about staying in a 1 bedroom unit that I found throught VRBO.com (Vacation Rental By Owner) but decided to stay at the hotel...the condo price was about $40 per night higher, but in retrospect it would have been a much nicer stay to have gone with the condo with basically the same hotel amenities....so next time I would stay in their condos.....and hang out at both the condo pool and the hotel pool. The hotel jacuzzi was not functioning and I was told they were going to remove it....bummer...as I like to book places with jacuzzis.....the condo had one.

The beach was mainly sandy but had some rocks and has some plant growths in the water....it's best to wear water shoes when entering the water....

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple