“Something different”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2014

As other reviews state this is not for everyone but if you like food and supporting people trying to do something a bit different then i urge you to check it out.
It was perfect for us as we eat pretty much anything and were in the mood for being experimental and it was really a fantastic experience. These guys do have a few issues to iron out but to eat this type of food at this price would be impossible in the US/Europe so for us it was a real treat.
definitely worth checking out but don't expect to choose from a normal menu. do expect to try something you wont try elsewhere in mexico....

1  Thank George T

Reviewed 16 June 2014

If you want a unique dining experience, do yourself a favor and pay them a visit. It is run by a couple of young, energetic chefs from a local university who wanted to explore food as art using local ingredients and local traditions of cooking. Most of their meat and produce are sourced within a 30 to 40 mile radius. Do not look for a printed menu. They have two alternatives: a six course sampler and a 12 course sample. I ate their twice in five days and opted for the 6 course sample both times and was not disappointed. Their approach to imbuing food and beverage with a smoky touch is to behold with glasses filled with real smoke to set the stage for a local tea or a particular dish. Do not expect to leave stuffed. Each course is on the smaller side but measured. However, I did not leave wanting anything more. Be advised that their prices are on the higher but comparable to the better La PAz restaurants. My only two criticisms are their location behind Applebees and a somewhat mundane beverage menu. However, both can be easily looked past.
Bottom line, a top notch experience. I will return

1  Thank Jim S
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I saw the reviews of El Tupe and was intrigued. I made reservations via email as the phone did not pick up. But the owner got back to me so that was no problem.
The second challenge was finding the place. It is not on Constitucion as the google map says. We found it after driving around quite a bit (it is on Mutualismo right behind Obregon) The chef was not there, but a head waiter was who was quite nice and provided good service. (Victor) Victor had to leave due to a family emergency, so the cook (Guillermo) and another waiter (Alejandro I believe) waited on us for the rest of the evening. The food was good-- very creative and different -- and the dessert was very good. At the end of the evening, however, the waiter brought us a bill with a 300 peso "IVA" charge. Since I know IVA is not added at restaurants I asked what the charge was for. He left the table and came back with an excuse that was clearly a falsehood, and removed the charge. The attempted rip off ruined the experience, for sure, after sharing nice conversations with both he and the cook. I've never written a review with such a negative experience, but don't want this to happen to others. I believe this would not have happened had the chef or Victor, the head waiter, been there.

2  Thank Janice D
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were in La Paz for a few days the end of May 2014. I had seen some reviews about El Tupe on TripAdvisor and went by to see what would be available, what we found was a very small, (I think restaurant), that had two tables out front in the full sun, and two tables inside. We went in and a person told us that they were changeing the menu so he couldn't give us one...So we left.

Because of these facts; readers of TripAdvisor should not go by any prior reviews.

2  Thank ADNORTHCAROLINA
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My wife and I recently ended our stay in La Paz with an anniversary dinner at El Tupe. It was an experience we will never forget. We chose the twelve course tasting menu and were not disappointed. Each course was presented by the chef who passionately described the item and the local sourcing. It was both a dining and cultural education. A similar meal in the states would have cost three or four times what we paid and would have lacked the personal attention. Our only regret was not having discovered the restaurant earlier in our trip so we could make a return visit.