“Food for Foodies!”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Palm Springs, California
“Food for Foodies!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I'm a total "foodie" and look for things that are different, offbeat and not the "standard fare." I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and we decided to seek it out. It more than totally met our expectations. It's pricey by Mexican standards but totally worth it. For less than 50$US we had 6 courses of absolutely interesting food. Guajillo chile sorbet with fruit, coconut ceviche with cilantro and mango, lime, cilantro, jalapeno sauce, smoked tuna and marlin with guajillo chile reduction (basically a mexican bbq sauce), crab claws empanizado over a fried queso blanco with avocado creme and jaimaca mayonnaise, roasted lobster with cherry tomatoes covered with a queso and bean sauce, pinto bean pudding with cherry tomato jam over crumbled banuelos and key lime ice cream over amaranth seaweed crumbs. This restaurant is not for people who expect the usual. The service was perfect. We loved every second. We had the six course tasting menu and if we had been in La Paz longer we would have gone a second time. They do different things every day. Some days they do twelve courses...we wished that we had twelve courses. My best recommendation...YUMBO! Thanks Victor and the Chef for an absolutely wonderful evening and meal!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Andrew E

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Something different”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

As other reviews state this is not for everyone but if you like food and supporting people trying to do something a bit different then i urge you to check it out.
It was perfect for us as we eat pretty much anything and were in the mood for being experimental and it was really a fantastic experience. These guys do have a few issues to iron out but to eat this type of food at this price would be impossible in the US/Europe so for us it was a real treat.
definitely worth checking out but don't expect to choose from a normal menu. do expect to try something you wont try elsewhere in mexico....

Visited July 2014
1 Thank George T
Lyons, Colorado
“Unique Dining Experience, Definitely Worth a Visit”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

If you want a unique dining experience, do yourself a favor and pay them a visit. It is run by a couple of young, energetic chefs from a local university who wanted to explore food as art using local ingredients and local traditions of cooking. Most of their meat and produce are sourced within a 30 to 40 mile radius. Do not look for a printed menu. They have two alternatives: a six course sampler and a 12 course sample. I ate their twice in five days and opted for the 6 course sample both times and was not disappointed. Their approach to imbuing food and beverage with a smoky touch is to behold with glasses filled with real smoke to set the stage for a local tea or a particular dish. Do not expect to leave stuffed. Each course is on the smaller side but measured. However, I did not leave wanting anything more. Be advised that their prices are on the higher but comparable to the better La PAz restaurants. My only two criticisms are their location behind Applebees and a somewhat mundane beverage menu. However, both can be easily looked past.
Bottom line, a top notch experience. I will return

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jim S
San Diego, California, United States
“Quaint restaurant but if chef not there, just so-so”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I saw the reviews of El Tupe and was intrigued. I made reservations via email as the phone did not pick up. But the owner got back to me so that was no problem.
The second challenge was finding the place. It is not on Constitucion as the google map says. We found it after driving around quite a bit (it is on Mutualismo right behind Obregon) The chef was not there, but a head waiter was who was quite nice and provided good service. (Victor) Victor had to leave due to a family emergency, so the cook (Guillermo) and another waiter (Alejandro I believe) waited on us for the rest of the evening. The food was good-- very creative and different -- and the dessert was very good. At the end of the evening, however, the waiter brought us a bill with a 300 peso "IVA" charge. Since I know IVA is not added at restaurants I asked what the charge was for. He left the table and came back with an excuse that was clearly a falsehood, and removed the charge. The attempted rip off ruined the experience, for sure, after sharing nice conversations with both he and the cook. I've never written a review with such a negative experience, but don't want this to happen to others. I believe this would not have happened had the chef or Victor, the head waiter, been there.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Janice D
North Carolina
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We were in La Paz for a few days the end of May 2014. I had seen some reviews about El Tupe on TripAdvisor and went by to see what would be available, what we found was a very small, (I think restaurant), that had two tables out front in the full sun, and two tables inside. We went in and a person told us that they were changeing the menu so he couldn't give us one...So we left.

Because of these facts; readers of TripAdvisor should not go by any prior reviews.

• Visited May 2014