“Rated 3rd Best in La Paz....?”

Las Gaviotas Resort
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Alameda, California
“Rated 3rd Best in La Paz....?”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I was excited to come to this hotel, as the reviews were so favorable. I was with my spouse and his friend and I had talked this place up based on everything I had read. After talking to the owner Linda, I opted for Room 3D for $175 for 3 people. We were only staying one night on our way to Cabo. The website had nice pictures and really talked this place up as a resort.

The Pros: Location, Views, Spacious, decent pool & deck, Binder in the room for guests of things to do, see, where to eat, etc.. and free wifi.. and free breakfast (but see my notes).

THE CONS: Where do I start? Well, this was NO resort....
Check-in... Well, Ramon greeted us, but Ramon doesn't speak any English. Yes, we are in Mexico and he was as friendly as can be.. I've travelled to other parts of Mexico, as well as other countries around the world. I expect a language barrier and I do my best to not deman that everyone else speak it to get by for me... but Ramon couldn't even operate the credit card machine to charge the balance of our remaining balance and apparently, couldn't call anyone else (at least who would answer a phone, even though the owners are supposed to be on-site???).. finally got that straigtened out after some time, maybe 20+ minutes.. The balance looked right, but I'll check my charges when I get home... My other first clue about this place SHOULD have been how hot the lobby was, even though there was an A/C unit installed. Even Ramon commented on how hot it was.... and he lives there... After I had talked to the owners, I was really hoping to find someone that I could speak with at the front desk to greet us and this just wasn't it.

The Room.. I am OK with a bit out-dated, and had the other issues not been there, I could have lived with it, but it just piled on.. the A/C did NOT work.. AT ALL. Not to mention, one would think to turn it on if guests were arriving to begin with.. instead, almost every window was open for a cross breeze.. We dropped our things, I put our water in the fridge, observed the various tiny, tiny bugs crawling on the counters, looked briefly through the book that was put together for the guests and headed out to find an enclosed restaurant with a/c for some relief which we did find. As we were leaving, the lobby was empty and as we exited, Ramon was across the street.

We returned after dinner to find the room JUST AS HOT as it was to begin with even with the A/C running and the fans. We opened up all the windows and found a very small relief in the breeze off the ocean. (As the binder points out, call the front desk for assistance with anything in the room... uh, are you really going to try and repair your a/c system in a short amount of time?) Our only relief was to get some cold beers, sit on the deck for a while and then try to go to sleep... or as I call it, waking up all night in a sweat and accruing maybe 4 hours total of "rest"... and per the other recent post.. yes, someone's dog is fond of barking... and as you have to leave the windows open, there is no way to escape it.

Morning.... We got up, tired, cranky and sweaty... packed up before our shuttle arrived and went down for breakfast. One of the posting had talked about how wonderful the huevos rancheros was for breakfast... uh.. wonderful? I'm sorry.. I've had been in San Diego where I live... The ladies were very pleasant (still no english, as I used survival spanish), but the amount of oil used to cook the eggs made me rethink the rest of my day's diet. After breakfast, Thank God our shuttle driver was in the lobby. We got our luggage and left.

I was in La Paz over 15 years ago and stayed at the Hotel Los Arcos, a wonderful place with nice rooms, bilingual staff and good food... what happened?? And just HOW is this place rated #3 on Trip Advisor??? I'm beginning to second guess these ratings... OR wondering if they were put up there fictiously...?

If there had been a better staff person at the front desk and a/c in the room, I could have accepted the rest as being what it was.. but suffice to say, after the first impression (bad) and the second impression (worse), it just went downhill from there. My spouse who has travelled to over 100 countries just didn't know what to say about this either...

My advice to future customers: Unless you like unbearable heat in the summertime, do not stay here.

My Advice to the owners: You've made a good attempted at getting guests to come to your hotel, but you REALLY need to do something to keep them there and/or coming back. Had I been booked for more than 1 night, I would have promptly cancelled any remaining nights and spent my first night looking for a new hotel. Luckily, all my stays before an after have been pleasant. I'm sure that you mean well, but you really, really need to do some revamping. I feel like your hotel is a bait-and-switch and you now have possession of my money for the 15 hours I was there. How disappointing for me... and after this review, I'm sure for you too.

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Joe V
LasGaviotas16, Owner at Las Gaviotas Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Hello Unhappy Traveler,

This is Linda Gail Theurel. My husband, Gonzalo, and I own Las Gaviotas Resort. During your one night stay at our hotel we were on a two week vacation visiting our son, David, who studies physics on a scholarship at MIT in Boston. That was a wonderful trip we had. We felt very grateful to our staff for covering for us, but we see we were sorely missed by a couple of our guests. From the reviews, past and present, one gets the impression that the personal attention from us is paramount and we know it must be what distinguishes our place from most others.

How unfortunate for all of us that you didn't immediately express each and every one of your complaints to any one of my wonderful, honest and dedicated staff members. You could have used English words and hand signals and they would have understood and moved mountains to make you comfortable. There are no hotel employees anywhere in the world who are more willing to accommodate. I can honestly tell you that they, and I, have all lost sleep since I read your Trip Advisor review to them. We are all so sorry that you spent such a terrible, sweltering, noisy night. If you had only expressed yourself to Ramon, our amazing maintenance man, who doubles for us on occasion as a check-in clerk, he could have flipped a circuit breaker located behind a picture frame near the thermostat in your suite and you would have at least been cool in a matter of 5-7 minutes. The sound of the air conditioner would have covered the street noise much as a white noise application on your smartphone. Each of our staff members knows to do that when an air-conditioner is blowing hot air, and they all work very well. Ramon maintains them and he does a great job.

Its true; our open-air lobby is very hot in the summer. but even if electricity wasn't so darned expensive I doubt that we would turn on that 7-ton air conditioner you saw to try to cool it down. That was installed by a Canadian company that leased our building for ten years until they went broke, sadly for us. They moved on and we moved in four years ago to run our little place, hands-on. We try to keep our operating expenses down so we can stay in business. Its the only way. I read in the news yesterday that the price of electricity is going to take a big hike in 2015. I don't think that's going to do anything good for anybody's business.

In your comment you mention that you saw tiny insects on the full-sized kitchen counter-top and we all know what you are referring too. Despite Ramon's regular fumigation of our entire building, we are unable to keep those tiny ants from coming out of our cinder-block construction, especially during the warm weather. To our careful observation, they only come out when food or dirty dishes have been left on the counter or in the sink though. We are very sorry about that. Hopefully the full-sized fridge at least kept your beer nice and cold while you drank it on the large ocean view terrace of your fourth floor corner suite. Hopefully, you all enjoyed a pleasant sunset, at least? That suite has such an amazing view. Everybody raves about it.

We were glad to hear that you found an enclosed restaurant and enjoyed your dinner. Most of the restaurants here, like our lobby, are open to the elements which is great in the winter, but not so much during the summer heat, as you've found out. We hope the food was good. We read your reviews of the Tailhunter Bar (open-air) and of the Bismarkcito restaurant (open-air) which is a seafood restaurant located on the waterfront. What views, huh? They have a huge variety of fresh seafood to choose from. We are fortunate to have so many excellent restaurants nearby, our building being located so near the old downtown area. La Paz is becoming known for them. I try to keep up with what's new on my restaurant list which you found on the coffee table of your living room in Suite 3D.

You may have noticed that the same information is given in Spanish in the front of the binder and then in English toward the back of the binder. In especially large text, I urge my guests, in two languages, to let us know if there is anything we can do to make them more comfortable. There is a sign on the front desk to ring the doorbell for attention. Did you see it? If you had rung the doorbell at anytime, night or day, one of our staff members would have come running and would have been happy to have done whatever it took to make you happy. We could have moved you to another suite so easily. If you really weren't satisfied and had asked for a refund before spending the night, you would have gotten it, The customer is always right here.

Lastly, you tell the world in your TA comment that your breakfast was terrible. If you were paying for it at a restaurant you might have sent it back to the kitchen. Well, here you could have done the same thing. Martha, Sinai and Erica, whichever of them was cooking, are all "pleasers" by nature, and I know that they would have happily tried their best to do it "your way".

I hope I've addressed everything. We are sorry. I, we all, apologize for your bad experience. We all miss the Hotel Los Arcos, by the way. Unfortunately they had problems with the labor union. It was a grand place. We loved their upstairs bar with its view and their big downstairs restaurant. Remember their Chateau Briand for two?

Well, best wishes to you for future travels and better luck to you next time you are in La Paz.

Yours truly,

Linda Gail, Gonzalo, and Staff,
Ramon, Roberto, Sinai, Martha and Erica.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Recently, my hubby and I stayed here and although the hospitality is excellent, we did not sleep for two days! The higher units have beautiful views of the bay and malecon, and they help to get a view above the homes across the street with razor wire fencing, however the higher the unit, the hotter the unit. We tried one night to sleep with the sliders open to hear the ocean only to be awakened every minute by car alarms, barking dogs, and early morning roosters. Second night we opted to close the unit up creating an inferno so we turned on the air conditioner. It was so loud that it felt liked we were sleeping on the airport tarmac...another night of no sleep. There is simply nothing you can do to create an atmosphere conducive to sleep in this hotel and at $165 US dollars per night we expected to at least have a decent night sleep. Look elsewhere for quiet and better bang for your buck. There is nothing magical or special about this hotel that warrants the price they charge. Sure it's clean and you get breakfast in the morning but we would not recommend staying here to friends or family.

Room Tip: Higher rooms equate to hotter rooms, however lower rooms equate to terrible views of alleys and razo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Olympia W
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We took our 1st trip to La Paz to get a more genuine Baja experience. Cabo was fun but touristy. Staying at Las Gaviotas was relaxing #1 and just what we wanted. Our room was large and comfortable. The kitchen is stocked with everything needed,we added the food from a market just down the street. Balcony looks at the sea and front door overlooks the pool. We walked to dinner every evening. We had a car and drove to different beaches every day. The owners are on property and offer all info we needed. Chalo knows his baja history and I wish I talked with him more. We will be back.

Room Tip: ask gail for tips on the rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank carl e
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Clean comfortable hotel for my brother and I. Great views of the bay and malecon This is a special hotel. Our very welcoming hosts ( Chalo & Linda Gail) were quite helpful in arranging tours, suggesting restaurants and beaches, and even provide beach towels and chairs. The included breakfast was a highlight with eggs to order ( don't miss the huevos rancheros ) and interesting conversation with our hosts and fellow guests. The location is very handy for walkers with many restaurants along the malecon , and a very safe vibe. Protected parking was a plus.
We were glad we arranged our tour to swim with the seals through our hosts who set us up with an outstanding guided adventure.
I plan to return to this hotel soon.

Room Tip: We found our lower floor room to be comfortable, well appointed and enjoyed a nice view of the malec...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Herb H
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at Las Gaviotas. The owners, Linda and Gonzalo, made our stay memorable with their hospitality. They made us feel like we were staying with family. Linda is an expat that’s been living in La Paz since the 80’s and Gonzalo is a La Paz native. Their knowledge of the area and suggested activities were excellent. We highly recommend the trip to Isla Espiritu Santo- you swim with sea lions, visit a secluded beach where a light lunch is served and snorkel on a coral reef. The ocean here is magnificent- crystal clear and wonderful sandy beaches. Espiritu Santo is an all day trip. If you don’t like small boats this trip may not be for you. If you are the adventurous type snorkeling with the whale sharks would be a good half day trip to take. These creatures are magnificent and quite docile. Linda and Gonzalo can make all the arrangements for any excursion you’d like to go on.
Our unit at Las Gaviotas was a spacious two bedroom apartment with a broad balcony overlooking the malecón (boardwalk) with a wonderful view of the bay. (All units face the bay.) If you like modern resorts where the fellow guests are also tourist and you have minimum interaction with the locals than Las Gaviotas is not for you. However, if you enjoy being in town, walking to great restaurants where the locals eat, going for walks on the malecón and interacting with the locals, then Las Gaviotas is the perfect location. Besides two bedrooms/two bathrooms, each unit has a full size refrigerator, electric range, microwave, coffee brewer, pots/pans, and all utensils needed to cook all your meals if you don’t want to eat out at the wonderful restaurants nearby. The units are a little dated but well maintained. Breakfast is included and you get an opportunity to meet some of the other guests as well as spend some time chatting with Linda and Gonzalo.
We highly recommend Las Gaviotas and plan on coming back.

Room Tip: All units face the bay but higher units have a better view of the bay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Phoenix
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We really enjoy our stay here. Breakfast is provided every morning down by the pool where you can sit in the kitchen at the community table or around the pool at the large tables for more privacy. The hotel is located just one block from the bay and the malecon. Lots of walkers at all times of the day on the malecon and along the short walk into downtown La Paz. Plenty of great restaurants within easy walking distance and tours will pick you up right out front. Off Street parking is provided in the hotel garage. We already have our reservation for next year so we will be back...

Room Tip: We had ocean view on the south side of the hotel. Our room had a full kitchen.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
LaPaz,baja sur, mexico
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My family stayed here over Christmas a couple of years ago and it was spacious and had great views....
For a group of five, it was not the least crowded with 2 bedrooms and an extra cot..
Well equipped and central and it had a great view...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family