“Home away from home”

Ranked #12 of 25 La Paz B&B and Inns
Columbus, Ohio
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I rarely write reviews for any place I have stayed but I enjoyed my time here so much that I felt it necessary to share. This was my first trip to Mexico - I went with my daughter in a larger group of travelers - and we stayed for the week at Casa Buena. The rooms were quiet, clean and comfortable and the entire complex is very well maintained and private. For all of the amenities of the property perhaps the most amazing part of our stay was the friendliness and helpfulness of the owners. They offer a very family friendly atmosphere and I honestly felt like I was at home here. Milton and Sue-Sue welcomed us as though we were family and we had fun interacting with them, including their pets, while we were there. Breakfast was excellent each morning and we really enjoyed eating outside next to the pool. I have seen other examples in these reviews of their helpfulness but I wanted to share our own experience too. On our first evening there we went to the beach and my daughter accidentally splashed water on her phone. Milton went WAY overboard and spent several nights up late with us helping to repair her phone which he eventually was able to do. I have never vacationed anywhere where the owners or staff display such a caring attitude towards others and I would HIGHLY recommend this as THE place to stay in La Paz.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Eric S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 15 June 2014

What a wonderful location for our team of nearly 45 people to stay for the week of our mission trip in La Paz! "Thank you" doesn't begin to express our gratitude to Milton and his generous family. Mountview Christian Church LOVES Casabuena!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tonya C
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Casa Buena is where we stayed the first time we came to La Paz 5 years ago, and we haven't even tried anyplace else since, because it's perfect for us: budget travelers, in La Paz for anywhere from overnight to a couple of weeks, with things to do and needing a base from which to do them.
Our latest visit was the first time we came with a pet (a young dog, full of energy). Once she proved herself neither biter nor fighter, she was permitted to run free in the compound most of the time. It was the best two weeks of her young, previously confined, life.
We also arrived with a car that needed attention. SuSu arranged a mechanic she knows and trusts to visit, and he worked on the car for several days right in the parking area, where he could consult with us before undertaking any of the 20 things that needed fixing. He did a good job at a reasonable price.
I like Casa Buena's B&B concept -- you get breakfast (with a kitchenette room, you can have any kind of breakfast you want), you get a bed, but you also get privacy and community in whatever portion you choose. The big common kitchen/activity/TV palapa is always available, but if you don't feel like socializing you can just take your food, or your book or game or whatever back to your room. Or you can hang out and talk to people.
Just echoing the basics here: if you can walk 4-5 blocks, there are plenty of good places to eat nearby (Thai, burritos, chicken, Rancho Viejo) as well as the large Chedraui supermarket. Laundry and convenience store across the street. Contrary to another posting, we find the staff eager to clean your room each day and extremely friendly (even though their cleaning included a lot of dog hair this trip!). We've stayed in 4 or 5 different rooms over the years, and each is basic, comfortable, and unique. The plumbers and carpenters clearly had fun.
Internet has always been good for us, but we tend to be here during off-season when it's not full. Many places in Mexico (including several big resorts we've stayed at like the Mayan and Villas del Palmar) are frustratingly inadequate when there are many users.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KAA_11
San Ysidro, California
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I'm greedy and selfish and I don't want to disclose anything about this budget gem in La Paz because I want to be able to make a reservation without a whole lot of campers inconveniencing my stay with theirs. LOL. But Casabuena has what every budget-minded traveler wants: atmosphere, location, and Milton and Sue-Sue.

These two young folks, who live at the motel are gold mines not only of tourist information like where to eat, beaches to check, or what to do, but will also find solutions to just about any issue a traveler may have. So, whether you have mechanical problems with your vehicle, an internet issue, or just want know if there are any hide-a-ways left in BCS, they will have their personal mechanic or an experienced beach recommendation to help you make the best use of your time. Try getting that from 5-star!

As for the ambiance and quality, you're getting a centrally located quiet, well-lit, down-to-earth bed and breakfast equivalent for less than the price of two stars. Yes, each room is equipped with air conditioning, daily cleaned/made beds, clean, functioning bathrooms, toiletries, fresh water, and Wifi. But Casabuena funkiness creates its own cozy atmosphere. The clubhouse is centered in the middle of the motel's courtyard layout and is equipped with a large kitchen (where morning coffee is served) along with a serving area located at the center adjacent to a well-maintained swimming pool. Although, at the time we were there, there was a large contingent of the off-road dune buggy crowd accompanying the usual four-wheel drive community, off street parking within the courtyard was ample although sometimes a bit tight. There are several good mariscos restaurants and juice bars within walking distance--even for a handicapped like me.

Anyway, please don't reserve the last available bedroom before I make my reservations the next time I visit La Paz. Tanque U!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Will_in_SoCal
Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed 3 May 2014

If you miss this experience, you will be missing one of the best adventures in your world travels.
In a world full mistrust, lousy vacations,boring people- it is my pleasure to finally find quality in the owners as well as the people who visit this unique retreat from life.

You miss this one , you will have passed up the place you have been looking for your whole life.

Go to La Paz- See the town-experience the people-enjoy some of the finest people you will ever have the opportunity to beak bread with--Salt of the Earth { The Sanders }
I am proud to call this place my extended home and sanctuary from the madness.

Room Tip: room with the giant bath tub
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank David W
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My family of five stayed here one night before moving on to our kayak trip (Terrific! see Mar Y Aventuras). We loved the mix of travelers passing through, ex-pats staying put, and the owners and their family, who made us feel like guests in their home compound, which we really were. We liked the dog, the flowers, the birds, the neighborhood, which is a few blocks off the beaten tourist path (as always, recommend ear plugs if you sleep lightly). Overall, I highly recommend Casabuena, as long as you're not looking for a resort touristy experience; if so, look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cocojuv
Guanajuato, Mexico
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is a very nice place. While rooms are very basic, there are a lot of things to do and see in the area to be locked in a hotel! The common areas are very good and clean (it has a very big kitchen). It even has a pool, which is quite big for the price range. Breakfast is nothing to write home about but it is adequate. Location is not the best, but once inside you feel safe, and there are several grocery stores and atms at walking distance. The malecon is not so near (around 1 km), but if you bring a car you can move easily (they provide a very spacious parking lot).
As is usual with this type of properties, wifi is very unreliable on your room. It's better if you go to a common area (and you have quite a bit of options for common areas).
It is also pet friendly, which is not common in Mexico.
The only problem I could see is that sometimes it is hard to contact the staff. A couple waited for half a day to get their room!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo