“Best ribs I ever have eaten.”

Big Joe's Restaurant
Ranked #96 of 296 Restaurants in La Paz
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Big Joe's offers slow smoked pork ribs extra meaty and baby back ribs along with side dishes: potato salad, coleslaw, onions rings, fries. We have crusty fried chicken, burgers, chicken wings, breaded fish, and some local food, burritos, sopes, chilaquiles. We have fresh natural juices, smoothies.
La Paz, Mexico
“Best ribs I ever have eaten.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Incredible meal. Large portions and reasonable prices. $10.00 per person for a great meal with complimentary appetizers.
I have never had a bad meal at this restaurant. Very clean.
Highly recommended.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Juan2656

Arlington,Wa
“If you don't eat here you are missing the boat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

Let me start by saying that we live in LaPaz when we are not at home in WA and I just love it when I find a great place to eat that I can honestly be excited about sharing with others......and Big Joe's is my new #1 place as of last night! Let me set the stage for your expectations......it is located on Modero right behind Chedraui....so the easy way to get there is to drive up Colima past Modero and take the next left. Go down to Jalisco and go left again....go down to Modero and go left again and Big Joes is on the right! Just a big circle and no problem!

Once you get there it is terrific. The first choice is to eat outside or in. We ate in and when you open the door you are hit with the most magnificent smells of BBQ sauce and you know that you are in a wonderful place. The next thing that happens is that you are greeted by a charming lady with a wonderful smile who is, in a likelihood, Big Joes wife, Lupe. We picked our table, ordered our drinks and moments later, with the drinks, came an order of the most delicious onion rings ever. I protested slightly that we had not ordered them and Lupe smiled and said Big Joes always offers something to start with as a THANK YOU for being there! Wow, are we on another planet or what? The onion rings were so good we ordered and paid for another order to take home to a friend who could not be with us...but was hungry for something not meaty.

We all ordered something a little different but I ordered the extra meaty pork ribs and they were beyond delicious! The best I have had in 8 years in LaPaz and they might have been the best pork ribs I have had in decades....melt in your mouth delicious! I had the potato salad with it and it rivaled my own so I respectfully ate it all! My wife and mother-in-law each had baby back ribs that they finished to the last bone! How can it get any better? Let me count the ways........

On Thursday night this week we will be back for chicken & dumplings to take home, on Saturday night we will be there with friends (6 of us) and I am going to order something I haven't had yet and will report later on that, and lastly, next Friday night (every other Friday) is New Orleans seafood gumbo night.

Big Joe is a real gentleman who has been married to Lupe for long enough to know that putting a great woman out front to work with guests is a good move. We had a chance to get to know Joe at the end of the evening and I would have to say that his only trouble will be is working the hours he has to because it is so hard to find good cooks that he can mentor and teach. He is such a good teacher that cooks come in for three weeks, work with him and then have a tendency to think they know everything....I guess that is just the restaurant business. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that we have found our new favorite restaurant and it does not need to be on the Malecon when the smiles and food make up for no view! I wish there were 10 stars to give Big Joes but for now I will have to be satisfied with 5!

2 Thank britecrawl
Mazatlan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“BarBQue to Write About”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

The four of us decided it was time to try out Big Joe's BBQ for dinner tonight. As cruisers we rely on word of mouth, bulletins and the written word in the local papers for ideas of where to dine when we arrive in a marina from being on the sea for lengths of time. What a nice treat Joe & Lupe gave us this evening!! Lupe was right there to greet us and asked very kindly for a couple minutes as she was helping another couple of parties. She was back in a flash, seemingly, to take our drink orders. She also informed us that our meal would include a salad or soup as well as an order of onion rings. We gave her our orders. Within only a couple minutes she arrived back with our drink selections and served them with such graciousness. In another few minutes our salads & soups were delivered to us, again with quiet graciousness, so as to not interrupt conversation....and!!..the ladies were served first. We all decided on pulled pork and baby back pork ribs. They were delivered to our delight with a couple of side dishes. The meat was as tender as meat lovers dream of and the BBQ sauce ~ Joe's special sauce ~ is finger lickin' good. All four of us walked away completely stuffed with delicious food and even more spectacular.....we had made new friends of Joe & his wife, Lupe. Fabulous food and beautiful new friends.

1 Thank svMagicPlaces
La Paz, Mexico
“It's about time!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We in La Paz have waited a long time for a rib, link and slow smoked BBQ restaurant. Well, it's here! After hearing about Big Joe's and the wonderful food, service and hospitality of Joe, we felt it was about time we tried it. The six of us went with great anticipation and weren't disappointed.
The portions are HUGE, and the side dishes, DELICIOUS!… Good Southern cooking! The prices are extremely fair and the service is VERY NICE!!
Other people complaining about the looks?? why not to congratulate Joe for trying so hard to clean the place including the Street across to make his place look much better! He has done so much! Keep it up Joe, we will certainly go back to eat you delicious Juicy, well done ribs, and we are already recommending you with everyone we can !!

Burbank, California
“Not for me”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

The place looks unfinished, decor is dismal. A couple of "paintings" with religious quotations. Cheap plastic covered tables and chairs. Cheap menus. I ordered one item only to be told it was not available, my second choice was nothing to write home about. We were 3 people, all the of us concluded not to visit this restaurant again

1 Thank F00dieT0urist