“Charming & "Artsy" Inn”

Posada LunaSol Hotel
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Charming & "Artsy" Inn”

This was our first visit to La Paz, which we visited in hopes of doing a whale shark excursion. Since our first 4 nights were at a resort in Cabo San Lucas, we wanted something inexpensive and preferably un-chain-like. After considering 2 other places, I decided on Posada Luna Sol a couple of weeks in advance based on traveler reviews, the price, and the fact that it was where we had to report for our whale shark excursion (although the excursion meeting place wasn't a major factor since we were renting a car). According to a staff member who was looking at upcoming bookings, they were full the week after our stay, so we really were lucky to get a room, I think.

Since I had received excellent directions via email, it helped us find the inn without problems, despite some reviews indicating the sign was hard to notice. Since we were on the lookout for it, it really wasn't hard to spot at all. Although you drive into an alley upon the approach, it opens up into a parking area at the rear of the posada - though it is actually the main entrance.

As soon as we went up the stairs I felt certain we had made the right choice for our stay! The inn is decorated in sort of a modest but artsy and chic way, with lots of color. (Some decor magazines would call it shabby-chic, though nothing is shabby. It's very clean and a little bit quaint in a good way. If you like charm and things a bit out of the ordinary, I think you will really like it! Our room (and the whole inn) was very clean and the beds quite comfy - slightly firm but not too hard and not too soft. (Hmmm. Sounds like I am reading "The Three Bears"!) I LOVED the colorful spreads and I think the pillows were real down. A/C is controlled by a thermostat in each room but the windows were open when we arrived as it was not that hot. However, we did find we needed the a/c on and it cooled well. Our room had 2 beds, w/a sink inside the room, with toilet and shower in the bathroom. Our room was w/out a balcony (there are rooms that have one but those are a bit pricier). Still, there was a corridor with one wall open to the outside- almost like a long balcony - between our room and the communal kitchen area if you want to sit outside w/out going upstairs.. Plus there is a very pleasant terrace (w/a hammock!) on the top floor. A large portion of it is shaded - covered by/a roof, but there is also an exercize bike and something else - a treadmill, maybe? - along w/some more seating. You can get a nice glimpse of the sea and rooftops from up there, and I hung out in the hammock the afternoon we arrived (Halloween!) for a while after we got there as it was balmy with a nice breeze. It's a nice place to chat quietly with friends, read, or just hang out.

Though our room was on the same floor as the communal kitchen, the kitchen was well away from it and we didn't hear any noise from those using it. There are signs around the inn informing guests that quiet time starts at 10 p.m. That just means not to play your t.v. too loudly, get too rowdy, or do other things that might disturb other guests. We didn't have any problems w/noise from other guests and everyone seemed to respect the rule. I will mention, however, that on the property next door, someone was apparently rehabbing and we did hear some hammering on and off on a limited basis. The staff at Posada Lunasol did not hesitate to finally go tell the person to stop when it continued at times during the evening. It's not as bad as, say, construction going on with power tools (like sometimes happens at large resorts when they are updating rooms or something) and I am sure this was temporary. I am usually easily irritated by such things, but it wasn't bad IMO.

Although we didn't really need the kitchen as we ate our meals out, on the morning of our checkout, another guest had left a large half loaf of Pan de Muerto (bread of the dead) and some chopped cantelope and pineapple for whoever wanted it as they had checked out. (I did eat some and it was good! Guess I should mention here that we were there during the Dia de Muerto holiday, which is just after Halloween.)

I had an issue w/a hotel booking that needed to be straightened out. It was causing me some stress and I needed to use a phone. There are no phones in the rooms at Posada LunaSol, but Belem, the proprietress (very kind and very sweet) helped me out and placed the call for me from the front desk. In addition, I left something behind when we checked out. When I checked my email from our next hotel in Cabo San Lucas late in the afternoon, there was already one from Belem letting me know she had the item. She has put forth effort to try and get the item back to me, which I appreciate. (Most other hotels would have waited for me to contact them at best.) The entire staff was very pleasant as well.

That about sums things up. I would not hesitate to recommend Posada Luna Sol and would stay there again in a heartbeat! (My rating of this accommodation takes into consideration the value, decor and cleanliness and comfort of the property. In other words, I do believe it's an excellent property; not a 5 star in the way you'd consider one of the world's top hotels.)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mlbcruiser
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear Guest,
What a perfect and very detailed assessment of our hotel! Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of our little hotel in La Paz. I think this statement sums up our hotel perfectly;
"If you must have the usual chain hotel-type room or require 5 star ammenities, this is not the place for you. If you want a friendly yet unobtrusive attitude from the staff that is willing to go the extra mile when necessary, and like non- cookie cutter rooms that reflect the locale, this is a great little inn and the price is right!"
Thanks again, we really appreciate your patronage and the time you took to write this review. Come visit us again....

There are newer reviews for Posada LunaSol Hotel

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here for four nights while our sailboat was in the boatyard, 1 block away. I had contacted the hotel in advance and toured the property and individual rooms before making my reservations. My stay on the 3rd floor, room 10, was perfect for me. The property is quiet and in a great location. There is a large communal kitchen which may appeal to some guests. For me, I was able to store some personal food items in both freezer and fridge which was very handy. All the staff are helpful and considerate. I was in and out many times during the day; The cleaning staff are always present, either cleaning rooms, or the common areas.
This is a good value, gem of a place for those looking for a simple but clean hotel in La Paz, away from the Malecon, but within walking distance to all of the downtown - Malecon areas.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: There are two levels of rooms, as well as three casitas (slgihtly larger) on the ground level near t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Guest,
Thanks so much for this comprehensive detailed description of our hotel. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us while your boat was out of the water. We look forward to being your hosts again someday....

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights this past week at the Posada LunaSol Hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful and the location perfect for our needs to be close to the Malecon and all of La Paz. We walked the Malecon each day and enjoyed our stay immensely. I would recommend it to anyone who likes charm, comfort and good location as well as value. Friends had recommended Posada to us and we are grateful they did.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ginny B

Dear Guest,
What a lovely review of our hotel and your stay with us while in La Paz. We are glad your friends recommended us and we hope to see you again when staying in La Paz. Thanks for taking the time to comment here on TA for everyone to read.
Ciao,

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed here before and after a kayak trip with Mar Y Aventuras. Each room is decorated in a slightly different manner. The rooms are clean, and very comfortable. The air conditioning is adequate. There is a community kitchen for cooking and an area for eating meals or snacks. There is a wonderful top floor patio with good views, lots of flowers and plantings. The patio is a great place to relax with a book, or visit with friends or other guests. Restaurants and grocery stores are a short walk away. A gas station is just block away. Taxi from the bus station is ~$5 US. Parking is right on the site. People at the front desk are very helpful, and speak English as well as Spanish. The front deck is good at making arrangements for rental cars or taxis to the airport/bus station.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to write this review on Trip Advisor for folks to have a nice idea of what we offer. Your assessment is spot on so we greatly appreciate it!

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed here for one night, solely because they claimed to be dog friendly. We have 2 well behaved pups who we needed to leave in the A/C room while we ran around to tourist offices. First night was fine...a/c was very cold and tv was nice...

When we went to pay for a second night, they said we couldn't stay because our dogs were on the bed and that was not allowed.
????
Then they charged us $50 (USA) because they needed to clean the sheets. (I guess they don't clean sheets between guests usually...?)

Can't recommend this place as dog friendly. :(

• Stayed: September 2013
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Guest,
This is the classic case of there being two sides to EVERY story! I think TA needs to hear our side of the story...(dogs on hotel beds? Who allows that?)
It's a shame as pet owners you obviously did not read the pet agreement form you signed upon check in with your two very large dogs (we would not describe as pups).
We initiated this pet agreement policy after several other inconsiderate dog owners abused their privileges at our hotel. We considered not allowing pets at all BUT because we are dog lovers ourselves and travel frequently with our own dogs we thought, let's just do what many other pet friendly hotels have done;
#1. Designate the 3 rooms in our cabana section as pet friendly.
#2. Charge for dogs (a nominal fee of only $5/dog/night)
#3. Have the owners sign a pet policy agreement.
The agreement you signed had the following rules that you agreed to upon check in;
-No dogs on the beds.
-Bedding in the rooms cannot be used for dogs.
-Dogs cannot be left unattended in the room.
-Dog owners are responsible for picking up after their pets.
-Any damage observed will be charged to the owner. Cost for dirty bedding found is $50/item ($50/bedspread or sheet or pillow etc.). Other damage amounts will be assessed on site.
-Posada LunaSol staff reserves the right to evict any owners and their pets should they decide the pets are destructive, dangerous or disturbing other guests.
You and your dogs violated all of the items above as hotel guests of ours. Your dogs, left alone in the room for several hours, made a complete mess including ripping a window screen, jumping up on the beds and therefore soiling the hand woven bed spreads as well as the sheets and pillows. Housekeeping could not enter the room because your large dogs appeared nervous, alone in the room and were barking incessantly while running and jumping onto and over the beds and at the window.
Our housekeeping staff described the mess and destruction the dogs created in the room as "indescribable" and outside the room in the courtyard were two large piles of dog feces that had not been picked up from the morning.
Even so we only charged you an extra $50 to cover the window screen repair and time and effort it would take to hand wash the delicate hand woven bed spread and DISPOSE of the sheets, not launder them! The man in your party paid without argument seemingly understood it was necessary after seeing the scene. Then it was your decision NOT to stay with us for another night, not ours.
What a shame inconsiderate, and obviously out of touch, pet owners like yourselves potentially ruin future considerate pet owners from possibly traveling with their pets because hotels don't want to risk the effort it takes to deal with such incidents.
We have many loyal, repeat pet owner clients who use our hotel on a regular basis for their stay while in La Paz because we ARE pet friendly (a rare find in La Paz) and we appreciate the fact they like to travel with their dogs as we do ourselves.
Best of luck in your future travels and in the meantime hopefully your dogs have trained you better for your next hotel stay.....

Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is a quite old but quite clean property located three or four blocks past the end of the La Paz sea side Malecon. It is located at the end of a short unlit dirt alley which made it a little spooky while walking to the store after dark. This narrow alley entrance with bushes along one side is pitch-black at night. Why hasn't this situation been remedied via a couple of cheap light fixtures?

There is a OXXO store within one block of the Posada which sells pretty good coffee, and all the drinks, and snacks and four-day-old hot dogs you could want.

We paid US$90 per night for a single room containing two queen beds, couch, coffee table, a full-size refer, sink, gas stove and two ceiling fans. There was a bathroom connected to this room that contained a tiled stall shower and toilet. Typical to the area, flushing paper down the toilet is a no-no because of the apparently fragile plumbing system. The sink is located in the main room and above it, the one and only mirror - all 12-inches of it.

The room had a five-gallon warm water dispenser with water. There is a water cooler with cold and hot water on the nearby upper-level veranda/patio. Our room included two small Motel-6-size wrapped bar-soaps and one Pantene shampoo sample packet. There was ample hot water and plenty of water pressure in the shower. There is a 10-inch square openable window in the bathroom in lieu of a fan. The color scheme and deco tiles everywhere gave it an authentic mexican feel. The room had an AC unit that worked good. Although, since the AC wasn't on when we arrived, it took nearly an entire day to cool down the room because of the blistering hot concrete and plaster walls, floor, and ceiling.

Our room was on the third floor and at the risk of stating the obvious, there is no elevator. Instead, there are lots of uneven stairs. Each time we climbed or descended these stairs - especially while carrying luggage, the discussion turned to how un-uniform the step heights were. Each of us banged our toe on "that step" at least once. The By-Gosh, By-Golly Construction Company was definitely the low bidder on this job. I suppose you could say that this added to the authenticity...

On the second floor, there is a shared kitchen that we didn't use.

All in all, after having read the reviews and selecting this property for the two night we stayed in La Paz, we expected more. With all the reviews giving it five stars and talking it up so highly, we thought it would be much more than what we found, and we were a little embarrassed after convincing the other couple we were with to stay here. We all ended up joking about it though, saying "well, it's authentic!".

To clarify, this place isn't bad, but it isn't great either.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear our hotel did not live up to your expectations. Sometimes it's tough being the #1 rated hotel on TA because then folks create an unreasonably high expectation of our facility. But TA speaks for itself with all the positive reviews posted in comparison to similar properties in La Paz.
We try and market our hotel for exactly what it is; a clean, tastefully decorated, inexpensive, ideally located hotel in La Paz with above average service. Yes, we have some uneven stairs (yes it's authentic Mexican engineering!) but the suite with a full kitchen in which you stayed is only 8 years old.
We do have lights on the alley toward the Oxxo store, perhaps they were not working when you were there and for that we apologize. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Most guests enter our hotel using our main entrance from Topete St. that is nice and lit.
We appreciate you taking the time to comment here on TA, this is how we improve.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We showed up at the Posada Luna after a long day of driving. There was no one at the desk to welcome us or check us in so we had to stand around and wait for a bit. The rooms were clean and relatively comfortable, although there was a very large group that was very, very noisy.

And, as far as the "hotel experience" goes, my expectations were out of whack. I was expecting a quaint Mexican "B&B" of sorts. The Posada Luna felt like more of a guest house/upscale hostel. Definitely not worth what we paid for the room IMO.

Next time we will definitely stay elsewhere - somewhere closer to the Malecon. The walk to the Malecon from the PL was about a mile.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear you were less than satisfied with our hotel. In comparison to other similar hotels in the area $50/night with the 12% taxes included (so the room actually costs $44/night) is very economical for the quality of our hotel. Similar B&B's in La Paz cost $75 and up and some are not nearly as nice as our hotel.
It's unfortunate no one was there to receive you upon arrival and for that we apologize. Expectations are important and for that reason we do NOT market out hotel as a B&B so I'm not sure where you got that idea? I do however think quaint is a good description of the decor of our reasonably priced hotel, ideally located only 3 blocks from the west end of the Malecon (NOT a mile) with nice clean rooms and great service.
Our hotel is most certainly NOT for everyone but we've done our best to create a website that reflects exactly what we offer with lots of photos to avoid misconceptions.