“dissapointed... and a little angry....”

Posada LunaSol Hotel
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in La Paz
Reviewed 7 January 2009

I live in Loreto and travel to La Paz for flights and doctor's appointments. a friend recomended this particular hotel about a year ago and i have been staying there ever since (about 4 times, for either one or two nights). i made my reservation via phone at the begining of december, for one night at the begining of january. the hotel confirmed my reservation via email and i thought i was set. on the day of my reservation, i called to make sure all was well and was informed that the hotel management (in Montana) had decided to cancell my reservation. there was no advance call or message from them. i was shocked, to say the least. the lady on the phone mentioned that the Montana offices had decided to cancell my reservation and give the room to americans that were also going to book a tour with them (i was already insulted at this point). the lack of seriousness with wich my reservation had been cancelled shocked me as a recurring guest. I could not believe a few extra dollars mattered more to them than their reputation. the lady on the phone went on to tell me that she did not like how i was reacting (well.. i was not liking not having where to sleep) and asked for me to trust her, saying that she was going to find me a place to stay (how could I trust her? She had already let me down...) . Anyway, i got on my flight, landed in La Paz and went to the hotel she recommended. she had promised that i was going to get a great room where i was to be perfectly comfortable, claimed that she had arranged for me to not have to pay any extra money. The owners were not there when i arrived, no one knew what i was talking about and the place was full of dogs (i travel with an infant), which peed on my car tires as soon as i parked. very classy... at this point i was livid, left the dump and was heading towards 7 crown hotel. my cell phone rang again and it was the lady from posada las flores. she promised that she had found another hotel for me, asked me to trust her again, and said that i would not have to pay a dime, not to worry. she hoped to reivindicate herself and hotel posada luna sol with this. at some point she thought it was appropriate to ask me what my position is at my company (implying that my situation and their response would depend on the position i hold at work, which added insult to injury). I arrived, was greeted, shown to my room, and that was that. the place was very nice, and i thought that it had actually made up for their lack of seriousness, racism and professionalism. all was well until i got a text message at 8 am asking for me to leave the money i was supposed to pay originally at the posada at the front desk so she could "pay the other half". i could not believe that SHE was paying and not the hotel management, which made the decision to cancell my reservation in the first place. i could also not believe that they were daring ask me for the money either. all in all, i would never stay at that hotel again!!! I would certainly recommend that other people call a week, a couple of days before,and the same day to make sure they would not end up sleeping in their cars!!! Specially if they are Mexican!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank bajamomma
outfitter, Owner at Posada LunaSol Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest,
We are sorry about your disappointing experience years ago at our hotel. Our entire staff are locals from La Paz so I'm not sure how we were perceived as racist. As well we would NEVER cancel anyone's reservation for any group from the US office. Once we receive a deposit for a reservation we honor it no matter how large a group we may have. I'm not sure what happened here but it was so long ago and the employee you dealt with no longer works for us. At that time I did not know how to respond to reviews therefore this late response.
So sorry.....
Mary Harter

Reviewed 25 October 2008

My family of four had a fabulous time at Posada LunaSol. Great location, 2 blocks from the malacon. LunaSol has the look of an authentic Mexican Inn with gorgeous tile indoor and out. The staff was very helpful and friendly.

We were on the thrid floor next to an outdoor veranda with hammocks. My kids (8 & 10) loved to laze in the hammocks and we ate dinner there frequently. In the mornings, we sat sipping our coffee on the veranda while taking in the beauty of the view of the nearby marina and the Sea of Cortez. The veranda was also a great spot to meet and chat with others staying at the inn. Howver, since we were there in the off season, we frequently had the area to ourselves.

Our familiy had a room with a kitchen in it (a must for a family of four). Refrigerator, sink, and stove (no oven). In the rooms with kitchens, they supply you with bottled drinking water and a coffee maker. There was also plenty of hot water for showers. If needed, LunaSol has a hostel style/shared kitchen area for guests as well.

La Paz is actually a typical vacation spot for mainland Mexicans, but not so much for Canadians and Americans. Canadians and Americans tend to go to Cabo when they visit Baja. This is one the reasons we love it in La Paz and can't wait to get back. In general, it is very non-touristy. The beaches are pristine and forbidding. The people in the city are friendly and we felt very extremely safe walking the malacon with our children and at our hotel.

All the staff at the Posada LunaSol speak English, however if you don't speak Spanish you'll have the bring your Spanish dictionary everywhere else in the city.

After surviving the unforgettable, thrilling, enriching adventure of driving from San Diego to La Paz in two days, we felt very fortunate to spend our days in La Paz at Posada LunaSol. Our favorites in La Paz were Playa Balandra, the day boat trip to Isla Espiritu, and walking the malacon. The staff at Posada LunaSol can help you with directions anywhere you want to go and with booking boat trips. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 September 2008

First I would like to point out that the correct name of the hotel is Posada Luna Sol ( Inn of the Moon & Sun) and it is also the offices of an excellent kayak touring company called Mar Y Adventuras (The Sea & Adventures) You can see this in one of the photos. Its not Mar Y Sol at all.
My daughter and I stayed there in November 2007 and had a wonderful time. The rooms were clean and charming in the "rustico" style. We had a kitchenette which was fully equipped. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend it to anyone who prefers off the beaten track travel, and wants to be walking distance to all the little restaurants, shops and the waterfront malecon of La Paz. I took one of my best shots of the famous La Paz sunset from their roof deck.
The hotel faces an interior courtyard and must be reached by the alley so check your map!
Here is their website:http://www.posadalunasol.com/

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank SD_LH
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Nearest the centre of La Paz, we have a very good stay in Posada Lunasol for two days. Room clean, staff friendly and probably the best center for a trip to Espiritu Santo Island (we had a boat trip of about seven hours with snorkeling, sea lions, white sand beaches, dolphins, than will stay forever in our best memories).

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at Mar Y Sol in downtown La Paz for 6 days earlier this year. It's near one of the busiest street corners in La Paz so if you're looking for peace and quiet this is NOT your kind of place. I advise you to put your earplugs in or fan on at night and tune the roosters and the traffic out, though, and stay at this gorgeous, clean, affordable hotel.

It's near the malecon, for one thing, and there are several nice restaurants within walking distance. Besides the clean and nicely decorated rooms, there is a beautiful, shady courtyard and a small kitchen area.--and coffee in the morning. We met so many friendly people from different countries and states while staying here, which made our vacation more memorable.

The owners of the hotel also have an adventure tour company on the premises so when you check in, like we did, you can reserve a spot with a group leaving for a one-day tour of Espirtu Santo and similar trips.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2008

For a price of $60 /night this was a true bargain. Usually we stay in hotels 2-3 times the price, or more, and this one was as good. The room was fair size, the mattress excellent, the decoration in excellent mexican traditional style, the staff very friendly and helpful.

We will go again. And if you want to book boat trips to the island Espiritu Santo, the office is there. This is an experience in life like few others!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank avid_traveler_8
Reviewed 2 January 2008

This adorable and small hotel is more like a guesthouse, with a shared kitchen if you want it and a rooftop terrace complete with hammock and sun deck. It is peaceful, well-decorated with extensive tilework, and friendly. The front desk people speak English and can help arrange kayak tours through their own company. They have a parking lot and plenty of hot water.
The only downside is that it is a bit of a walk to get into town, and walking home in the dark is tricky as the sidewalk is difficult. The upside is that you are surrounded by local restaurants and local people!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family