“True Baja at its best!”

Ranked #75 of 116 Hotels in Los Cabos
San Diego, California
“True Baja at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Last week was my first trip to the ranch and it was FANTASTIC!! This is the real deal, old school, chill Baja where you eat, sleep, relax, FISH, drink and make friends. If you live in flip flops, love the real Mexico and can hang this is the place for you! The hospitality is amazing and it is a perfect place for anyone who wants to completely escape to an awesome and remote place in Baja and just be. The compound is great with a gorgeous pool, amazing beaches and killer views. It's all inclusive by nature because nothing is at all close by and the food and bar are great. Get the chips and guacamole after a day of activity and catch some fish that the kitchen will turn into delicious ceviche. Rooms are large, clean, comfy and have great views, but are not fancy. They have fishing charters right there for you, kayaks, horseback riding, snorkeling, miles of beach to walk, spa treatments, etc. or take a day to chill in a hammock by the pool. Many thanks to Gary, Fernando, Joel, Nico, Eddie, Maria and the rest of the wonderful Ranch team who bent over backwards making us all feel completely at home. You guys are awesome and I will be back again and again. Thanks for giving me a new happy place!!!

NOTE - if you are a "I have to blow out my hair", seek out the local Ruth Chris on every vacation and always bring 2 suitcases of crap for a 4 day trip then this is NOT the place for you. See above about old school Mexico...

Room Tip: Room 2 had great views and so do the ocean front bungalows - rooms 20-26.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blythe L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I just returned from a three night stay at Rancho Leonero and have nothing but good to say about it. And I'm picky. When I'm traveling with my family, we're probably at a Four Seasons/Ritz deal. I know that's not where everybody stays or wants to, but there's my context. And that's not what The Ranch is about. The excellence of Rancho Leonero is unassumingly, unpretentiously, and comfortingly pure East Cape. So if you want to get your club buzz on, go to San Lucas. With that, on to Leonero:

I came with a buddy the first week of November. We've been to other fishing properties on the Cape. We had not been to Leonero before. We had expectations that were high. The informal resort is properly isolated and located directly on a semi-rocky spit on the beach. Check in was a breeze. The staff were warm and professional without overdoing it (saw a reviewer complaining about staff. Huh?). The only indication of security we saw was a Manx cat. It wasn't terribly alarming.

Staff (Eddie) coordinated our fishing trips without a hitch, and offered great suggestions to tailor their offerings with our needs/interests. This was no cookie-cutter operation: they tailor/match make their boats and guides to what you're after and your skill level. We chose Jorge as our guide. We continued to choose him for each successive trip and would happily do so again. Excellent and a breeze to spend time on a boat with. Being November, the weather was somewhat uncooperative and the fishing wasn't wide open, but he consistently put us on fish--sails, roosters, dorado and blast of a morning with little bass rods and sierra.

We stayed in a casita, which was more than roomy and comfortable. AC was awesome. Pillows were shockingly good. At our request the kitchen turned some of our sierra into ceviche at cocktail hour. Also incredibly good. The food there is competent and what I want after 6-7 hours on a boat: I don't want to choose. I want to eat. And it'd better be good. And it was. The bar was solid and, despite our best efforts to be unhappy with the bar tab, we had nothing to complain about. We were stunned at the reasonable prices.

Not only have no complaints. Am already planning my next trip.

Room Tip: Would strongly suggest using Leonero's transport service to and from the airport.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peter_KX1760PA
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

As you leave customs at the new Cabo Airport, your transportation awaits just outside,
(contact Genie at Ranchero home office for information). I HAVE ALWAYS FELT SAFE BOTH AT THE AIRPORT AND AT THE RANCH). After an hour or so drive you arrive at a SCENE FROM THE EAST CAPE'S PAST. After a smooth check in with Juliana, (you also may have a chance to meet "GARY", who run's the place like a fine Swiss watch). after unpacking in your very cool, fully AirConditioned room, (check out the fab. shower), take a short stroll to the beach, the bar, the view, and dinning room. This is my 5th trip and I am a lady angler who has fished all over the world*** but the fishing here is the best i have ver experienced. Blue Marlin, Striped Marlin, Sailfish, plus tuna, Mahi Mahi (dorado) and wahoo. Also bottom fishing is excellent..
Along with fishing club friends from Florida, (we release all billfish) i have been lucky enough to fish with the same Capt.for the 5 years.
The ranch also provides "Pac-N-Play" Hi-Chairs,and wheelchair accommodation, just contact Genie at the home office. The food is great,(three meals per day) including lunch on the boat.
The staff and service is over the top.
However Hotel tax,Sales tax, Serv. charge, Bar ,Cold drinks, A Mexican fishing license and transportation to and from the Airport is extra. Contact home office for information.
Take it frome, this is a quiet, out of the noisy big city, resort to be savored, and enjoyed.
Great value for the money.. A 10 star resort, for sure from me...DIXIE BURNS

Room Tip: I have enjoyed everyone, ocean view, garden view, standard.. all great..
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank mickey546
Portland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

My first trip to Rancho Leonero and I will definitely be back. If you are looking for a Baja experience that isn't Cabo, this is a great place to spend some time. I was supposed to be there 5 nights but was able to come 2 days early. The reservation and front desk staff was extremely accommodating and helpful getting me a room and making the transition into my group reservations easy. The accommodations, staff, service and fishing experience made this a great vacation. Thank you everyone, you have great place!

Room Tip: I did not use room service or the fitness center, so I don't have any reviews.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank GrizSmith
Seguin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

This was our 3rd trip to Rancho Leonero. Every time we arrive, it is like being reacquainted with an old friend. The fishing was great, the staff was friendly and helpful as always, the food was wonderful. 85 degree crystal clear water in the sea of Cortez topped off the whole trip. We will be back next year, and we are bringing several friends with us.

• Stayed September 2013
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

This was our first trip to Baja, but we have fished and explored in various saltwater places around Mexico and Latin America, as well as farther afield. My husband is an avid fly fisherman and loves salt water fishing. I love to snorkel and explore the beaches more than fish. Rancho Leonero is the perfect complement for both desires.
The Resort is very private and remote -- which we think is a big plus for Baja as other areas can be overdeveloped and sterile. We found it just fine with the good signage both on the highway and then on the dirt/sand road leading down to the property.
Our room was comfortable and large with cozy queen beds and a private porch where we could leave swimsuits, shells, and fishing gear. Great view of the ocean and fishing boats (room 17) which was actually a "garden view" room.
The staff is friendly and we can see that Gary, the manager, does a great job of running the show, keeping the live reef right out front protected (so snorkeling is fantastic), and being friendly and helpful. Plus his wife is delightful too.
Fishing was very fun and highly successful -- even for a lackey part-time fly fisher like me!
Snorkeling was exceptional, both right out front and at Cabo Pulmo, about 45 minutes from the Resort by car. Warm water and beautiful reef!
Food in the Resort is good, plentiful, and we liked the dinner bell! The views from the indoor and outdoor dining area are lovely. Right on the beach.
We hope to return! Next time we might bring a cooler to bring some fish home to Colorado!
Perfect blend of sun, sand, and sea activities in a tropical Old Mexico setting for our anniversary!
Lou and Mark from Boulder

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Newbury Park, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

I have fished in numerous places in Baja, not just the East Cape but Loreto, La Paz and La Ventana. The fishing operation is run very well at Leonero. The ramp is close to the rooms, the boats are always on time and for the most part the captains know the area well. I wanted to do a little bottom fishing and see if I could get an amberjack or some pargo. Got one nice pargo and then we did some trolling for dorado and tuna. Got hooked up to a few small dorado, one decent sized one and numerous skipjacks. Since I wasn't taking any fish back with me I just gave them to the captain or sent them back into the sea. The second day fishing was better, really wasn't crazy about the first captain, but liked the second. He was older and seemed more inclined to do what I wanted him to. Hit the area where all the giant squid have been and pulled up three, if you have never done this doing one is ok, after that it's just plain work. Being the nice guy that he is the captain "let" me do all the work. Hooked up lots of skipjacks at his "secret spot" and then started trolling. Got on a pile of dorado, all 10-20 pounds, caught a couple and wanted to try fly fishing. I have never fly fished before but brought a fly rod. First cast hooked up to about a 12-15 pound fish. Great fun. Ended up boating 3 more dorado with the fly, if you have never tried it give it a try. We trolled around the rest of the day for a billfish and then tried for some roosterfish. Never got a hit by either. My complaint about the fishing was that everything was small, all the dorado, tuna were just school size. First time I have been in Mexico and nobody that I talked to fishing caught a decent size fish. The other issue i have is that all of the captains want to keep every fish that they catch, hard to talk them into throwing back anything, except billfish. I think that is part of the reason that the fishing in this area is seeing lots of small fish. Not sure about the rest of you but i think a $40.00 tip and some of the fish that "I" caught is a decent tip for a panga captain. It seems more and more like that isn't enough and is looked down on.

The hotel is decent. The rooms were clean, two queen size beds in the room, nice bathroom and for the most part very liveable. Didn't see bugs, or rats or mice like some of the other reviews from years ago. The A/C was more than what I needed. I did a lot of reading if I wasn't fishing so the lack of a TV in the room wasn't an issue for me, but could be for some people. If you sit in the bar area there is a TV just be prepared to sweat. The food was ok. Some days it was good and some days not so much. It's cafeteria style so you eat what you get. The pool was very nice and the beach is great. Just walking on it for swimming is wonderful the snorkeling is very nice right in front of the hotel. One of the things that I haven't seen before was the service charge for everything, along with tax for most everything. I have never had to pay a service in all of my visit's to Mexico. I think that Leonero is more expensive than what one thinks if you go but just the web site prices, at least it was for me. I am not much of a drinker but I think the beers were about 4 apiece. I am sure some people had some huge bar bills when they left. I was down here right at the beginning of the storm season and left a day early because we weren't sure we would be able to get out if it rained really hard because of the road into Rancho Leonaro. To be honest it has some pluses some of the other places don't have and some minuses. I probably wouldn't spend more than 5 or 6 days here or would need to rent a car so that I could get out if i wanted to when i wasn't fishing.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the casitas right by the beach.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
#1 of 2 in El Cardonal
Hotel Los Pescadores
Hotel Los Pescadores
#1 of 4 in Los Barriles

Been to Rancho Leonero Resort? Share your experiences!