“Smoky, Smoky, Smoky”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Rosarito
san diego
“Smoky, Smoky, Smoky”
Reviewed 1 December 2007

Whatever you do not start a fire in the fireplace. The hotel kindly provides you with the first log free of charge. After enjoying the fire for about an hour , my friend and I go to sleep and about an hour later my friend wakes up to find our room filled with smoke. Not just a little smoke ,but thick smoke pouring into our room from the fireplace. Apparently the fire place smoke exits the ocean side and conversely is blown back into the rooms by those great ocean breezes. I feel we narrowly escaped death by asphixiation and all amnagement was willing to do was give us a 20% refund. There are no smoke alarms, nor any fire place tools. We had to put the fire out by filling up a trash can with water and pouring it over the flames. Can you say neglegent!Lawsuit!!!! We were then stuck to spend the rest of the night sleeping in what felt like a giant ashtray. Everything I brought carries the stench of the smoke including me. Im off for a shower.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank smokingaces

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 21 November 2007

We arrived at Las Rocas just before Christmas, and were greeted warmly by the staff and given an upgrade, just to give good customer service! We thought our room was rustic and charming, and the view of the ocean was fairytale. Loved the fireplace, though we didn't get a chance to use it. The property was clean and the restaurant was better than any we had just eaten at in San Diego. I really don't understand all the bad reviews, we can't wait to get back there. TIP: DON'T go with the expectation that this is a four-star American type hotel. You'll be disappointed if you do. The furniture IS dated, and the atmosphere is more cabin-like than hotel-like. However, because of the people, the food, and the tidepool exploring we got to do when the tide was out, it was our favorite stopover of the whole trip.

• Liked — The fireplace and the tidepools below
  • Disliked — Balcony needed some work
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank paleoguru
San Diego
Reviewed 16 November 2007

We got married at Las Rocas a few years ago. If you are staying for the weekend I highly recommend you stay in the suites which is the newer part of the hotel. The older part is nothing to write home about.

I love the view and the grounds at Las Rocas. It was such a great place to get married (we had 150 guests). To this day people still tell us it was their favorite wedding.

Now...it is Mexico so remember it is not the U.S. and things will never go perfect in Mexico. But with enough planning you can pull off an amazing event.

Food was great
Cake awesome
Service was great
Bar was awesome

Not to mention it was a fraction of the cost of having a wedding on the ocean in San Diego with an open bar and steak and shrimp sit down dinner.

I would highly recommend getting married here. If you are going just for a vacation I would also recommend Las Rosas further south. One of my favorites.

• Liked — The view
  • Stayed May 2004
1 Thank CaliBoBo
san diego
Reviewed 29 October 2007

We had stayed at Las Rocas many years ago and really liked it. On our trip there this last weekend we were shocked! The place is so filthy, and run down. The rooms are horrible, the towels were old and smelly, the bedding was old and smelly, the whole place felt old and smelly! We requested a roll away bed for our children and I made sure to check for bugs, and thought we might be safe since I didn't see any but sure enough the next day they were covered in bed bug bites! Disgusting! I had to come home and wash everything in hot water! Also when I received my breakfast the lettuce they used for garnish was black and moldy on one end, when I pulled it off my plate I noticed it was full of dirt! They had not even bothered to wash it. The pool is not heated so our children could not swim because the water was freezing. Everything about this place was a dissapointment (well except maybe for the bar and the view which helped us forget how bad this place was). Save your money and don't go to Las Rocas!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank Marcia G

Travellers are raving about these Rosarito hotels

So Cal
Reviewed 28 October 2007

I have never "EVER" stayed in a dirtier hotel in my entire life. And we had the 2 bedroom Penthouse suite. Two of our party got what can only be bed bug bites. The toilets didn't flush. There was dirt everywhere. At one point during our stay someone had left a half eaten plate of Nacho's on the steps to the entry of the Hotel. We joked about when someone would pick it up. It was there all day. We literally ran out of there to come home and take showers.

Stayed October 2007
23 Thank rvlo
los angeles
Reviewed 20 September 2007

Incredible view, but that's the only incredible thing about it. I had been there a few years back. It's really run down since then. The furniture, facilities, and grounds need to be updated and kept up. Its staff lacked professionalism and friendliness you would expect from such charm and breathtaking surroundings. To top it off, we were charged on two different days for a single service at the spa. Watch your credit card! Unless there is an overhaul on staff and service, we aren't going back!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11 Thank livnindheights
Escondido, California
Reviewed 15 September 2007

My wife and I stayed at Las Rocas for two nights, to attend a wedding at the resort. The wedding was great and the ocean view was magnificent, but that's were the good news ends.

We booked a Jr. Suite; a spacious room (#302) with a king-size bed, large sitting area, wood-burning fireplace and a nice balcony, with a great ocean view. The room was equipped with a small refrigerator & sink, micro-wave and coffee-maker. The carpet was worn, with several large burn holes in it. The doors and trim were in desperate need of paint, door knobs were loose and sliding door locks were rusted. The water pressure in the shower was not much more than a trickle, requiring me to remove the shower head to get a decent flow. The stopper in the toilet had to be manually adjusted after each use, to allow the tank to fill with water. It was obvious that routine maintenance of the rooms (at least the one we stayed in) has been neglected for a long time.

There are two on-site restaurants; Cafe Del Mar (breakfast and lunch) and El Meson (dinner). There is an outside palapa bar overlooking the ocean, with tables available for food service, when not reserved for private parties. We ate at the palapa bar one evening; dining on lobster "Puerto Nuevo" style. I had some stomach problems & near-vomiting that evening, and can only attribute my sickness to the food. We also ate breakfast at Cafe Del Mar one morning; the food being just "O.K." at best.

The resort sits atop a cliff, over-looking the ocean. The beach below is not good for swimming due to large rock formations close to and on shore. There are, however, two swimming pools and jacuzzi's at the resort.

Las Rocas does not allow outside alcoholic beverages anywhere at the resort, including the rooms, and the policy is strictly enforced. A member of our wedding party was observed by resort staff, taking a case of beer to his room. He was requested to return the "contraband' to his vehicle. If you plan on drinking in your room, hide the evidence and be fore-warned that there are no ice machines!

We are seasoned travelers, including dozens of trips to many of Mexico's most popular vacation spots. We usually stay in 3 or 4 star resorts and are not picky eaters. I have posted over a dozen hotel reviews on Trip Advisor and have no "axe to grind" with this resort. Prior to our stay, I read many of the more recent reviews of Las Rocas. Based on those reviews (the one's with lower ratings, IMO, being a more accurate assessment of the resort), I would have chosen another place to stay, had it not been for the fact I was attending a wedding there.

If you're going to Rosarito Beach, I would suggest finding another place to stay, to avoid the possible liklihood of being disappointed at Las Rocas.

• Liked — Great Ocean View
  • Disliked — Sub-standard Room Maintenance
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
12 Thank sceneisle
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosarito
Rosarito Beach Hotel
#7 of 16 in Rosarito
Pueblito Inn
Pueblito Inn
#10 of 16 in Rosarito

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!