“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Rosarito
California
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 16 March 2008

My fiance and I just returned from a last minute getaway to Rosarito and Ensenda. We stayed at Las Rocas for one night. I have no major complaints-the staff was friendly, the parking is secure and the rooms were fine. The only thing that bothered me was what some other reviewers have reported on:smoke smell in the room. Other than that, we had a great ocean view and a nice time!

• Liked — The view, the pool/spa
  • Disliked — the smoky smell in the rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGirly21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Coronado
Reviewed 22 February 2008

We stayed at Las Rocas Resort & Spa last month ( January 2008) and it was just AMAZING!!!!!

I just don't understand all these bad reviews about the property; people was very helpful, the property is in a great place, all is quiet, we could relax, talk and lounge around, the room was ready at the time, everything went just perfect.

We had a some spa treatments, and I can say those have been the best I ever had.

The room was ok and CLEAN! with a STUNNING view... we asked for a romantic decoration and all was full of roses.

I honestly can say you can stay in this place if you want to spend some days in a romantic and relaxing place.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — I had to leave soon
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank luvtravelgirl
San Diego
Reviewed 30 December 2007

Had a family reunion for two nights at Las Rocas and I must say I am extremely dissapointed by our experience with this "resort". We did have lovely views from our rooms, but the instant we entered our rooms our first comment was "what is that horrible smell?". The rooms reeked of toxic, nauseating smoke fumes. It was awful! The hotel staff claimed it was another room guest burning a fire in their fireplace. But the odor never left. Just got worse. We ended up switching rooms! As for the heaters...they do not work. That is the simple fact. Calls to the management promised extra blankets, but they never arrived. The hot water in our shower did not work. So no showers for my husband, myself or my two little boys. The swimming pool was not heated...freezing cold. Quality of the rooms would be fine if we had paid $35 a night. Not the case. For what we paid I would expect a much better maintained resort. The spa treatments were very good, and that was the best part of our experience there. Except for my poor neice who had her neck tweaked too roughly and was having naseaua and headaches afterwards. Please think twice before staying here. There are much better places for the same cost that would give you a better outcome.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank SunnySD1

Travellers are raving about these Rosarito hotels

san diego
Reviewed 1 December 2007

Whatever you do not start a fire in the fireplace. The hotel kindly provides you with the first log free of charge. After enjoying the fire for about an hour , my friend and I go to sleep and about an hour later my friend wakes up to find our room filled with smoke. Not just a little smoke ,but thick smoke pouring into our room from the fireplace. Apparently the fire place smoke exits the ocean side and conversely is blown back into the rooms by those great ocean breezes. I feel we narrowly escaped death by asphixiation and all amnagement was willing to do was give us a 20% refund. There are no smoke alarms, nor any fire place tools. We had to put the fire out by filling up a trash can with water and pouring it over the flames. Can you say neglegent!Lawsuit!!!! We were then stuck to spend the rest of the night sleeping in what felt like a giant ashtray. Everything I brought carries the stench of the smoke including me. Im off for a shower.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank smokingaces
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 21 November 2007

We arrived at Las Rocas just before Christmas, and were greeted warmly by the staff and given an upgrade, just to give good customer service! We thought our room was rustic and charming, and the view of the ocean was fairytale. Loved the fireplace, though we didn't get a chance to use it. The property was clean and the restaurant was better than any we had just eaten at in San Diego. I really don't understand all the bad reviews, we can't wait to get back there. TIP: DON'T go with the expectation that this is a four-star American type hotel. You'll be disappointed if you do. The furniture IS dated, and the atmosphere is more cabin-like than hotel-like. However, because of the people, the food, and the tidepool exploring we got to do when the tide was out, it was our favorite stopover of the whole trip.

• Liked — The fireplace and the tidepools below
  • Disliked — Balcony needed some work
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank paleoguru
San Diego
Reviewed 16 November 2007

We got married at Las Rocas a few years ago. If you are staying for the weekend I highly recommend you stay in the suites which is the newer part of the hotel. The older part is nothing to write home about.

I love the view and the grounds at Las Rocas. It was such a great place to get married (we had 150 guests). To this day people still tell us it was their favorite wedding.

Now...it is Mexico so remember it is not the U.S. and things will never go perfect in Mexico. But with enough planning you can pull off an amazing event.

Food was great
Cake awesome
Service was great
Bar was awesome

Not to mention it was a fraction of the cost of having a wedding on the ocean in San Diego with an open bar and steak and shrimp sit down dinner.

I would highly recommend getting married here. If you are going just for a vacation I would also recommend Las Rosas further south. One of my favorites.

• Liked — The view
  • Stayed May 2004
1 Thank CaliBoBo
san diego
Reviewed 29 October 2007

We had stayed at Las Rocas many years ago and really liked it. On our trip there this last weekend we were shocked! The place is so filthy, and run down. The rooms are horrible, the towels were old and smelly, the bedding was old and smelly, the whole place felt old and smelly! We requested a roll away bed for our children and I made sure to check for bugs, and thought we might be safe since I didn't see any but sure enough the next day they were covered in bed bug bites! Disgusting! I had to come home and wash everything in hot water! Also when I received my breakfast the lettuce they used for garnish was black and moldy on one end, when I pulled it off my plate I noticed it was full of dirt! They had not even bothered to wash it. The pool is not heated so our children could not swim because the water was freezing. Everything about this place was a dissapointment (well except maybe for the bar and the view which helped us forget how bad this place was). Save your money and don't go to Las Rocas!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank Marcia G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosarito
Rosarito Beach Hotel
#7 of 16 in Rosarito
Pueblito Inn
Pueblito Inn
#10 of 16 in Rosarito

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!