“It's Mexico alright”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Rosarito
la jolla
“It's Mexico alright”
Reviewed 8 March 2004

I haven't stayed at Las Rocas, but I will say this...for two weeks I emailed back and forth with multiple persons at Las Rocas trying to arrange rooms for a group of 10 people. Everytime it took days for a response, and when they did respond, they asked questions about dates that were contained in my original email. After back and forth, changing dates, and trying to get a reservation...I was finally told that they were booked for every single weekend up to June 19th...which I had specified in my FIRST email was the last weekend I could book the rooms for (I started emailing in Feb.). They could have told me this on the first response, but took no time to be thorough and never did answer any of my questions. I also tried calling multiple times, never an answer. PS Friends of mine have stayed there and said it was "okay".
If you live in San Diego I don't know why you would travel 45 minutes away for bad service, and unclean waters and beaches. Go stay in La Jolla where you can drink the water and they answer the phones.

2 Thank kkinlj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed 24 February 2004

I am writting because, like others on the site, I was sorry to read all the negative reviews! I have been going to Las Rocas for about 8 years now and LOVE the place. Be realistic people, this is MEXICO, and yes, baja isn't what it used to be in terms of getting an outstanding deal for your your dollar. The first time I went to baja 15 years ago you could get two fish tacos and a beer for a buck on any road side stand.
I have noticed the prices steadily escalating over the years as they rapidly approach US prices. That being said, Los Rocas is STILL a great bargin, if you can enjoy the charm of baja with all of its faults. The resort is a small, quite, serene place that I fall in love with each time. Stay in the main building, "delux" rooms with a patio, not the newer, cheaper rooms, and check out lobster village about 15 minutes south if you can!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 February 2004

What a con you visit their web site and when you see the place its horrible. This place is not for children they should have a sign no kids allowed. No roped off cliffs, no lighting, expensive food , tiles slippery on pool, rooms are depressing plumbing doesnt work,the locks on doors are falling a part. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CON JOB.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Rosarito hotels

Reviewed 1 February 2004

My trip to Rosarito was ruined by my stay at Las Rocas. Don't get me wrong the room was good and all, but the staff there are horrible. Me and my girlfriend spent the night out in Rosarito partying and got pretty drunk, like any other 19 year old couple in Mexico. We decided to go back to our room at 11:30pm and my girlfriend passed out so I needed help carrying her in as I was on the verge of passing out also.
I had a more then willing bell hop help me with her but as he was carrying her to the room he was FONDELLING her!! I didnt know until the next morning because she told me and I couldnt find the guy to beat the crap out of so we left. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends with hot girlfriends. So all the pretty lil ladies out there be warned.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 December 2003

Well another great stay at Las Rocas. We had room 402 in the suite bldg. Great room the view from the bed made it feel like you were the only people there. The rooms at Las Rocas are a bit old school but are good enough for being in Baja. Had dinner in the Resturant at Las Rocas food was good and not over priced. Make sure you check your bill when checking out as I was over charged by $60.00 Dollars went back in and they credit my account. Over all a very nice stay. Do not expect the Ritz Carlton and you will be very happy. Ask for a room on the 4th floor of the suites Bldg. as they are the best deal I paid 133.00 a night and that was with tax included.

2 Thank Mark C
Reviewed 21 November 2003

I am a long time fan of this hotel. Unfortunately, there have been a couple bad reviews lately and I simpathize with these people's experiences. The fact though is that this hotel is a great desination and should not be overlooked due to a few plumbing problems that occurred once upon a time. I do not mean to negate the problems experienced by a few people - but it is the case that this hotel and others in this area of Mexico have had to implement their own wastewater treatment systems, which can infrequently experience problems. This is not the US folks - there is no public sewer system!
All other hotels in this are face the same problems. Many other sources of wastewater in hte are are discharged directly to the ocean untreated, so I support the hotel in their effort to treat their wastewater prior to discharging it. This location is one of the best surfing spots in the area and Las Rocas has made a commitment to keeping the local water clean. I have already mentioned the surf. The views are outstanding. The spa services are like no other in the area and my girlfriend loves it. Even I have enjoyed a nice massage on occasion. The staff are very nice and the pool area is fun. There is a great palapa bar on the grounds where you can enjoy live entertainment while sipping a nice margherita or cervesa. Night time fun can be enjoyed in the restaurant and the indoor bar, or a trip to Rosarito or Ensenada is a nice on night.Again, I simpathise for bad experiences, but I have had my own on past trips and that is often the case depending on where you are visiting. In this area of Mexico, Las Rocas is by far the best of the other hotels. I recommend booking a room well in advance as this hotel is very popular with regulars like me.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 October 2003

I took the time to read some of the reports on Las Rocas and was surprised on how negative some of them were. It felt strange because I was just about to post a super positive review on them! I acatully had an incredible experience there! :-) I went with my husband two weeks ago to get away from work for a couple of days and Las Rocas has always been a great place to do that. I was happy to see that they were making improvements to the rooms, the exterior, the menus, etc... and the staff even remembered us from our past trips we've taken!! It was lovely. I am sorry to hear about the negative experiences that other people have had, but truly, I would recommend this hotel over and over to anyone who is loking for a great getaway!.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosarito
Rosarito Inn
#7 of 16 in Rosarito
Pueblito Inn
Pueblito Inn
#12 of 16 in Rosarito

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!