Las Rocas Resort & Spa
  • Beachfront
US$284
Del Mar Inn(Rosarito)
US$79
All reviewsinfinity poolpuerto nuevolobster dinneramerican breakfaststayed in a junior suitegorgeous viewsocean wavesthe cliffrosarito beachpedicurejacuzzimexicobajachimneypalaparockstubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 August 2008

went for a wedding - this seems to be the niche of the property and they do it very well with all the grace and style that Mexico will afford. Everything was orchestrated so well.... WOW!

now to my personal experience. This is the first time I have stayed here and WILL be staying again.

upgraded room after wedding party departed.

first room was... well just a room. bathroom had some issues such as a loose faucet that hadn't been repaired, took a while to get some extra towels, no iron available.. (but resort was at capacity). Upside is that the mattresses were fantastic pillow top super plush and firm. Even though we were in a "basic" room the view of the ocean was still amazing. Rested well with the great bed and sounds of the surf. After relaxing and having my mind arrive in vacation mode the bathroom and towel issues became 2ndary, even a non-issue, and of course I no longer cared about having an iron!.

2nd room and experience with management:

we were upgraded for a very small charge of 20. a night to a full jr. suite. king bed, micro/fridge wonderful balcony ( same view) - room was about 2x's as large! and had a separate sitting area. we told the front desk about the issues with the room and they physically moved us into the suite.

Very romantic dining room - right on the cliff - best place for a sunset meal or a romantic proposal....

Fist this is not a mega resort , it’s a small intimate resort that offers service and magical memories. This is a place to come and wash away stress.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 July 2008

I have been here three times and I always get the experience I want: a relaxing place, with a great spa, hot tubs, views and a good margarita!! Fantastic Views and nice amentities. I love that is it not too fancy and just has a chill environment. It is not snooty and people are there just to relax.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 July 2008

We stayed at Las Rocas in Rosarito for a wedding and I understand why some choose to have a wedding at this resort because the view is outstanding. If one were to have their wedding in LaJolla with the same view, it would probably be 5 times the cost. With that said, the hotel really needs major help because there are some things that make it appealing but the critical reviews are also very warranted; however, you're in Rosarito as well - this is not Cabo or Playa Del Carmen.

The location of the hotel is wonderful but the hotel itself is rather rundown and needs major improvement. We got to the room (room 402) and it is a nice size and has some interesting architectural details and the view of the Pacific can't be beat; it was a pleasure to fall asleep to the ocean waves crashing against the rocks below. However, the room didn't feel "clean" and the bathroom needed major work. The tub was rather neat but it just looked dirty. I undertand it is made with Mexican tile which I have in my home, but I wore my flip flops in the shower just in case.

The grounds are nice, the pool is rather decent but the spa tubs are rather gross. The main spa tub near the pool is surrounded by still dirty water which is probably infested with bacteria. We had lunch at the outside restaurant which was okay, but the windows were dirty, the table didn't seem very clean; it just skeeved us out a bit. We toured the spa which was cute, but again... filthy windows overlooking the Pacific. If the cleaning and maintenance crew went the extra mile, this hotel could be much nicer.

The management does get major kudos for putting on a great wedding. Carlos, the coordinator, is fantastic and very helpful. The food was much better than what they normally serve and we had a great time.

Overall, I would not return to this resort. It wasn't horrible but certainly not great. I don't think I'd go through the trouble crossing the border to visit a 2-star hotel despite the view. At $150 a night, I still think it's rather expensive for what you get. I've stayed in much nicer hotels in San Francisco with a view of the Bay Bridge for less. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere and do it right.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dewtrell
Reviewed 2 June 2008

I had heard about Las Rocas from a friend of mine that said he loved the place so my boyfriend and I booked a package for the weekend for our anniversary. After I booked it, I read some reviews on this site and was needless to say a little nervous. I even considered canceling because people said it wasn't safe in Mexico right now and some of the reviews made me nervous. But I am so happy that we decided to go! The view was absolutely breathtaking. We fell asleep to the sound of the waves from our view overlooking the ocean and woke up to have breakfast on our big patio. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that wants to go and relax and have a little romance. The staff was so helpful and the property was clean and affordable. Even better, we didn't have any safety issues driving there and felt very safe once at the location. You should definitely go!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karam02
Reviewed 8 May 2008

BEWARE THEIR CANCELLATION POLICY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE!!

I reserved a room through Expedia the morning before I arrived in Rosarito so that I could lock in their advertised room rate. Expedia promised me that I would be able to check out the hotel for myself before committing and paying for the room. Upon arrival, the hotel was very nice but a bit far from the bars and clubs in Rosarito, so we elected not to stay in Rosarito instead. Las Rocas insisted that I could not cancel the reservation, citing their two day advance notice policy (even though I had only reserved it that morning!), so we had to escalate and call Expedia.

After over an hour on the phone, Expedia confirmed that they had canceled the room as promised and that I would not be charged. Weeks later, I received my credit card statement and saw that Las Rocas had billed me the full cost of the room ($140)! I have since called back Expedia to dispute the charge, and Expedia has called Las Rocas. Expedia said an employee named Maria confirmed my cancellation that day, while Las Rocas denies having anyone by the name of Maria working there. As I write this, I am on my fourth phone call to Expedia, still not having managed to reverse the charge. This has cost me a total of over 4 hours on the phone trying to resolve.

I take satisfaction solely in the facts that: 1) I will eventually be reimbursed; 2) Hotel Las Rocas has been annoyed on a weekly basis by Expedia and may not try this trick again; and 3) perhaps some of you will be wiser and avoid this circumstance yourselves.

Stayed: April 2008