“The Good-The Bad-The Ugly!”

Las Rocas Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Rosarito
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Good-A great view of the ocean-Nice Pool-Great Palapa Bar-Reutaurant is OK. Staff is friendly.
The Bad-This was a 1st class hotel 20 years ago. Through disrepair and neglect it is now 2-3rd class. The charge for rooms isn't in keeping with what you get. We had a Jr. Suite with rock hard pillows and mattress. Sea birds had crapped all over the balcony and maids didn't clean. Bathroom tiles falling apart. The beach is very rocky and hard to walk on.
The Ugly-Loud disco by the pool on the weekends during the summer. Loud parties keep us up past mid-night both nights. No AC.
If you must stay here, try the North Building. Less noise! THEY DON"T OFFER A FAST PASS TO GO BACK TO THE USA.

Room Tip: Rooms in The North Building may be quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris R

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband, son & I recently stayed 3 nights at Las Rocas on the recommendation of a friend. We rented the largest suite - the Penthouse. Very roomy with comfortable beds & a great ocean view. No A/C here, so be aware if that is a concern - they will provide a fan on request.

Upgrades have been made with mixed results. They put nice shutters on front windows, but that makes it impossible to open said windows. Bummer if you want a cross-breeze! You can open the sliding door to balcony, but there is no screen door. We asked at front desk & they said it didn't come with one (like that is a weird concept!). The only openable window was in the bedroom which resulted in some air flow & a bit of road noise. By the way, our son's room downstairs had a screen door. ??

The food at the resort is good & they are friendly if not always fast. We were in no hurry anyway. We had one dinner & 2 breakfasts & several poolside beverages... The infinity pool is very nice & has been maintained. The tile around pool area (and resort in general) has not & is in immediate need of a redo. We saw some gentlemen with clipboards walking around discussing improvements, so we hope that is a reality soon.

Another problem noted in other Trip Advisor reviews is that Las Rocas has some chimneys that end near guest balconies - in other words, if you're here in colder weather & someone below you builds a fire, you could get smoke on your balcony. You can see lots of smoke damage on some walls and windows at the resort.

Basically, it is a nice and reasonable way to spend a weekend in Rosarito. Just don't expect the "lap of luxury..."

Room Tip: Get a junior suite or better. Higher is better as well. It's a funky place...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Selder-Travel
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had a great room for the value as I received an upgrade. Fabulous room accomodations, but the hotel amenities are not as taken care of. Hot tubs are great! Do not expect beach access here. My recommendation is to contact the Mexican Ministry of Tourism as they contract with a booking agency to help you book this for cheaper than any other site. I did not use the spa services here so I cannot speak for those. The best way to get to/from town is the local bus, but this is impossible at night as there are no street lights. A cab costs $15 one way to town. There is a nice restaurant on site. It is removed from the hustle & bustle of downtown Rosarito.

Room Tip: The junior suites are very nice and spacious! There is a TV in the room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank culture_luvr
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Incredible views of the ocean and the sound of the waves in your room was wonderful. There were almost 100 of us here for a friend's daughter's wedding. The food was excellent and it was a beautiful wedding. This is a great, affordable place for a destination wedding.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Ken B
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My sisters and I decided to take a spur of the moment weekend trip not far from our Southern California homes, just a short trip across the border, 45 mins from downtown San Diego. This place is amazing! I'll start with the views. The most peaceful, relaxing views you will ever see. The infinity pool is a game changer. Our room was great. It had a fun little balcony which we sipped our INSANELY good blended pina colada's on, while listening to the waves crashing below. The food was delicious. My sister had their signature fish dish which she LOVED and I had the Mediterranean salad and tortilla soup. We also had the filet and mushroom dish, to die for. We all shared the flan for dessert and there was not one morsel of food left. We were told the hotel is being updated so we are super excited for our return trip. You really can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Stephanie A
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We went to Las Rocas with my family for a few days. We reservd the penthouse to make sure the rooms would be big enough for our family. To our surprise the rooms were big enough for two families! The rooms were very comfortable and clean. Upon checking out, I forgot one of my bags and didn't realize until I got home. I called right away to find out about my bags without high expectations. Alfredo reassured me that my bag was safe and arrangements would be made to ship. I received my bag in tact a few days later which had some valuable items in it! My only regret is not staying longer. Kudos to your staff and houskeehousekeeping for your integrity! Thanks

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank CeciliaCardenas
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The amentities at the hotel are good, however the building works leaves more to be desired.

A member in my party was brushing their teeth in the bathroom they put their hand on the sink unit and the entire unit came off the wall and landed on top of them. This was due to rust and the nails that were holding the unit to the wall, in my mind this was only a matter of time before this happened.

We called down to the reception desk and explained what had happened. Around 20 minutes later the staff member arrived and could not speak English and went away to get another staff member. They next staff member arrived and came into the room and again we explained what had happened, they said that this could not have been what happened and that we must have been jumping on the sink unit. We asked to speak with the duty manager, we were told that there was no manager available and that we would be able to discuss this with the manager at 9am the next morning. We also asked if we could be moved room, but they had no other rooms available (the hotel was sold out, that we accepted).

In the morning we called down to the recepition to speak with Duty Manager and there was nobody avaliable to meet with us, we made the decision to cut our trip short.

They also charged us for the damage and charged our credit card, different amount they quoted at the time to what they charged.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Scotty B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosarito
Rosarito Beach Hotel
#10 of 14 in Rosarito
Pueblito Inn
Pueblito Inn
#8 of 14 in Rosarito

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!