Las Rocas Resort & Spa
  • Beachfront
Rosarito Inn(Rosarito)
Del Mar Inn(Rosarito)
  • Pool
All reviewsinfinity poolpuerto nuevolobster dinneramerican breakfaststayed in a junior suitegorgeous viewsocean wavesthe cliffrosarito beachpedicurejacuzzimexicobajachimneypalaparockstubs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Let's start with the wait we had before our room was ready. We figured we would enjoy the outdoor palapa bar and have Margaritas. The margaritas were pre-mixed and sprayed from the bar hose. Two crusty local American women came and sat down next to us, chatted us up and ordered drinks. When my husband asked for our bill, the bartender asked if we were paying for the "ladies" as well. They must be regulars and this is how they get their free drinks from tourists.
Our room was ready, and when I first saw the "junior suite" my husband reserved I was taken aback. He said, "this is Mexico". I didn't buy it. I didn't think we needed to accept sub-standard & in need of maintenance. Then he said, "pretend you are camping". That's when the fight started.....
Ha ha, that part is a joke. No AC, the wooden toilet seat had a big chip out of it, the lights in the bathroom had no cover-just bare lightbulbs, the tile floor was cleaned in such a way that all the dirt accumulated along the base of the carpeted platform that the hard as a rock beds were on. There is no beach---you walk down some rickety stairs behind the pool to a small, rocky beach
. The first night there was the worst night's sleep at at "Resort" that I can remember. Not only was there noise from a wedding party, but raucous revelers kept partying long after the bar lights were turned off and the wedding disco music had stopped. My husband nicknamed the place "Las Ruckus". The next morning we drove to Walmart to buy pillows. After the second worst night, even with the new pillows, I couldn't take it anymore. We checked out and found another place to stay for our last night in Baja. Thank goodness.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank veritas1st
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Good-A great view of the ocean-Nice Pool-Great Palapa Bar-Reutaurant is OK. Staff is friendly.
The Bad-This was a 1st class hotel 20 years ago. Through disrepair and neglect it is now 2-3rd class. The charge for rooms isn't in keeping with what you get. We had a Jr. Suite with rock hard pillows and mattress. Sea birds had crapped all over the balcony and maids didn't clean. Bathroom tiles falling apart. The beach is very rocky and hard to walk on.
The Ugly-Loud disco by the pool on the weekends during the summer. Loud parties keep us up past mid-night both nights. No AC.
If you must stay here, try the North Building. Less noise! THEY DON"T OFFER A FAST PASS TO GO BACK TO THE USA.

Room Tip: Rooms in The North Building may be quieter
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris R
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband, son & I recently stayed 3 nights at Las Rocas on the recommendation of a friend. We rented the largest suite - the Penthouse. Very roomy with comfortable beds & a great ocean view. No A/C here, so be aware if that is a concern - they will provide a fan on request.

Upgrades have been made with mixed results. They put nice shutters on front windows, but that makes it impossible to open said windows. Bummer if you want a cross-breeze! You can open the sliding door to balcony, but there is no screen door. We asked at front desk & they said it didn't come with one (like that is a weird concept!). The only openable window was in the bedroom which resulted in some air flow & a bit of road noise. By the way, our son's room downstairs had a screen door. ??

The food at the resort is good & they are friendly if not always fast. We were in no hurry anyway. We had one dinner & 2 breakfasts & several poolside beverages... The infinity pool is very nice & has been maintained. The tile around pool area (and resort in general) has not & is in immediate need of a redo. We saw some gentlemen with clipboards walking around discussing improvements, so we hope that is a reality soon.

Another problem noted in other Trip Advisor reviews is that Las Rocas has some chimneys that end near guest balconies - in other words, if you're here in colder weather & someone below you builds a fire, you could get smoke on your balcony. You can see lots of smoke damage on some walls and windows at the resort.

Basically, it is a nice and reasonable way to spend a weekend in Rosarito. Just don't expect the "lap of luxury..."

Room Tip: Get a junior suite or better. Higher is better as well. It's a funky place...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Selder-Travel
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had a great room for the value as I received an upgrade. Fabulous room accomodations, but the hotel amenities are not as taken care of. Hot tubs are great! Do not expect beach access here. My recommendation is to contact the Mexican Ministry of Tourism as they contract with a booking agency to help you book this for cheaper than any other site. I did not use the spa services here so I cannot speak for those. The best way to get to/from town is the local bus, but this is impossible at night as there are no street lights. A cab costs $15 one way to town. There is a nice restaurant on site. It is removed from the hustle & bustle of downtown Rosarito.

Room Tip: The junior suites are very nice and spacious! There is a TV in the room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank culture_luvr
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Incredible views of the ocean and the sound of the waves in your room was wonderful. There were almost 100 of us here for a friend's daughter's wedding. The food was excellent and it was a beautiful wedding. This is a great, affordable place for a destination wedding.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Ken B