“Exellent aniversary getaway”

Las Rocas Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Rosarito
Reviewed 19 February 2007

We just returned from a two day getaway with my wife. It was set up to be a surprise to my wife and the staff there was exellent in making it happen (Honorable mention Ricardo Preciado at the hotel reservations). Everything is really close, Puerto Nuevo and Downtown Rosarito. The scenery was breath taking and really impressed my wife on our 13th aniversary. I really will be back.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank j.perez

Reviewed 7 January 2007

my boyfriend and i decided to take a two day detour down to rosarito while we were staying in san diego over christmas. after reading the reviews on tripadvisor, i wasn't sure what to expect. he'd had a good experience there once before. we had a suite on the pool floor, our patio overlooked the bar and the ocean. the room, including bathroom, was clean and huge, the beds were comfortable, the room had a coffee maker, sink, and small refridgerator. the hot tub, particularly late night with full flasks, was awesome. there is an amazing little cove underneath the back bar, best place to watch the sunset. the only thing to avoid is the restaurant. really, awful. the worst food i've ever had to pay for. we're talking worse than taco bell here. certainly worth the $30 round trip cab ride to eat at puerto nuevo down the road.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lauraplanet
Reviewed 28 November 2006

Alrightie, so I read ALL the reviews on this sight and kinda knew what to expect. And I'd be the first to say that some of the reviews were down right hilarious!!! Ok, so I booked direct with the hotels website, which said they'd charge my card 1 nites accommodations. This did not happen. When we got to the hotel, they put a $350 hold on my card. Not sure why...but ok. Went to our room(#109), room definately not bad, BUT definately not great. The bathroom was HORRIBLE, especially the tub, we preferred to shower in the outdoor showers near the pool. The faucet and surroundings were rusted and brown,green,black and icky. Bathrooms only supplied enuff towels for 1 person! And maid got upset that we asked her for another. A definate plus was the fact that our room had a FABULOUS view of the ocean and the patio doors opened out to the pool/jacuzzi area. Our pool was very clean and the jacuzzi was like new. The main pool area was nice but the jacuzzis in that area was really nasty...Brown foam floated on top of the upper one! Ick!! For the $250 for 2 nites and spa treatments i have to say it was worth every penny. The people were friendly, the treaments in the spa were great but the women's shower area could use some SERIOUS help. It wasn' t much better than out room shower. Food was pretty good in the resturants, but could have been lower priced. Overall, it's Mexico! I've been to Jamaica and it's the same way! I'd definately go again...Hopefully they'll fix the showers and the locks on the doors. But for $250 for 2 nites you get what you pay for and you can't get this ANYWHERE in the US!
So my word of advice is...don't expect Luxury...cuz this ain't it! Do expect to have a good time, a great view and a great mini-vacation from all your worries! Be smart...It's a foreign country! Have fun!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank lovbunni
Reviewed 7 October 2006

We have stayed at Las Rocas twice now. The first time was exactly one year ago. Our experience was very good both times, but we set our expectations correctly before going. This is Baja and the standards are not the same. Quite honestly, we would never stay in a hotel like this in the US, but for Baja it is really good. The rooms are not completely clean but they are tollerable. The screens in the balcony doors are so dusty. All they need to do is sweep them off every now and then but they don't. We stayed in a standard room the first time and it was OK. We stayed in a King suite on the fourth floor this time and it was better although the bed smelled a little musty. It was comfortable and the mattress looked new enough, but we did feel itchy and I did wake up with four insect bites on my body. I could not find any evidence of bed bugs and I looked. But the bites were there... I do recommend bringing your own pillows. We had spa treatments both times and really enjoyed them. We go to spas all the time and the service at the Las Rocas spa was as good as anywhere. The spa staff were polite and professional and the massage therapists were excellent. We only ate breakfast in the restaurant and it was good. It also came with our package. One of the waiters was sort of unfriendly and would get this look of resentment when we would ask for a refill of coffee or remind him that we ordered two coffees not one. He would act like we were the ones that made the mistake even though his English wasn't very good. I appreciate that the staff speaks English well enough, but his facial expressions just seemed like he didn't like serving us. We just figured he wasn't having a good morning. The hotel is a little run down and they don't seem to be interested in making repairs. Our room came with a tiled tub/shower combo, but the grout and tile were so dirty looking that we didn't dare use it as a bathtub. We only showered. It would have been nice to take a bath and it was probably clean, it just didn't look clean because it's not maintained. The location is great and the value is good. We felt safe and all in all had a very enjoyable time. I would recommend this hotel as long as you set your expectations properly. i would compare it to an older Holiday Inn as far as upkeep goes. We will stay here again, but will hope that I don't get bitten by bugs next time.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Cali-Nepali
Reviewed 14 September 2006

My husband and I stayed here over Labor day weekend. We wanted a suite but they were all booked up so we stayed in a standard room in their north tower. The room was on the 4th floor, overlooking the "kids" pool. It was nice though because it was private, and being on the 4th floor saved us from the noise around the pool.
The view is great, the rooms are average, with some really ratty lamp shades. The bed was VERY comfortable, but the shower was atrocious -it kept making a crazy-death-whistle-screech noise everytime we turned the hot water on.
I recommend eating breakfast there, but their drinks are overpriced for Mexico, and from what I could see, the dinners too. The whole place feels very "Americanized" to me.
Enjoyed driving to Puerto Nuevo for lobster dinners (recommend Ortega's Patio).
The spa is decent, but after my pedicure she sprayed this "fast dry" spray on my feet- AFTER she had slipped my flip-flops back on, and the chemicals in the spray ate away at my flip-flops. When we complained, the guy apologized- but that's it. Ok the flip flops were not expensive, but they were from Hawaii, and my favorite pair. The fact that they did not offer me even a discount or anything for ruining my shoes really pissed me off - very poor customer service if you ask me.
Not sure if I would stay there again or not. Probably would, but just avoid the spa.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank auntie1
Reviewed 22 August 2006

Years ago we have been to LR many times as a couple. This is the first time as a family (2 little ones and nanny). We got a "suite" on the bottom floor the first night and the biggest suite on the top floor the last 2 nights. The worst part of the stay was the mosquitos. Yes, mosquitos on the ocean. They were cohabitating in BOTH of our rooms. My children were bit up. Bring your own pillows, repellent, papertowels, snacks, water, and Clorox wipes to wipe everything down. There is no elevator.
This hotel is okay for couples and party people. Although, I do have to say the furniture seems like it has been there atleast 5 years with daily abuse. Where does all their revenue go? The largest suite was a joke. You have to take in to account that it is Mexico and the standards are not the same. We are fully aware and frequent Baja often. There should be some international guidelines. We paid $300/night. and it was two seperate rooms!!!! They were positioned on top of eachother with doors next to eachother with seperate keys. Great for the hotel- they can always book them seperate. There was a large double door that can enclose both the doors if it had a knob and lock . When you open the door of the larger room you go up steps and there is a grand room and a seperate bed and bath. The other door is just a regular room. This setup is okay for couples but not for a family. It does not flow. You want your kids near you. You end up spending your time in the bigger upper room. So families beware.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank joeknow
Reviewed 10 August 2006

First of all the view and location of the resort is absolutely beautiful, but I need to caution all prospective customers on a few things. . . there is no tennis court (as their website states), one of their jaccuzzi's -- was under repair (but there was still 2 to chose from), we booked a standard room and thought we booked with 2 beds, but got 1 king size and no room to move to (hello there were three of us); no restaurant, but this was not a big deal for us because we planned on going into town or to Puerto Nuevo for lobster; room service was available, but we did not use. I was really disapppointed was the towels for the pool are "checked out" and if you did not return there was a $25 minimum charge for each. Then there were 3 of us in the room, but they only provided 2 bath size towels in the rooms, beds were not great at all and bring your own pillows. All this being said, our trip was very nice since the weather was perfect and the pool was not crowded, grounds were cleaned daily and Rosarito restaurants were great (recommend El Nido and La Flor). Didn't much like shopping in the market because all the vendors didn't make "browsing" comfortable. I wanted to try the spa there, but decided against it since the hotel couldn't afford to give us enough towels. There were two pools which was great for my daughter (one of families). All in all, it was a very pleasant stay and worthy of weekend getaway endorsement!

7  Thank EmmaRO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosarito
6 mi away
#10 of 14 in Rosarito
Del Mar Inn
Del Mar Inn
#7 of 14 in Rosarito

Been to Las Rocas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!