We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rosarito
Los Pelicanos Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Rosarito
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I returned to Los Pelicanos after a rather long break because of the U. S. media emphasis on the dangers of Mexican travel. I encountered ZERO problems. I was again blown away, as usual, by the incredibly beautiful, romantic, RUSTIC authentic Mexican setting. They have added spa services, and my girlfriend and i purchased full body, 50-minute massages that were wonderfully relaxing, and only $40.00 each! Great pool and large, simply rooms with Mexican floor tiles and open showers (no bath tubs, room phones, etc.).

As usual the restaurant offered delicious, mouth-watering steaks and seafood, and the prices were lower than my previous visits, due no doubt to the bad press and the dollar/peso valuation. If you come to Los Pelicans, insist on an Ocean View room, (call ahead to reserve this on weekends, Sunday - Thursday they are plentiful. Omar is the Manager, speaks great English!). Our very large, spacious and "Spartanly" furnished room was only $60.00 per night (weekday) $72.00 for weekend. This is a BASIC, no frills hotel, although there is a beautiful pool and restaurant and minimal spa. Do not come expecting U.S. amenities, but the relaxation factor is off the chart!

The incredible value is the SETTING, literally RIGHT ON the beach. i always hesitate writing about the hotel because I do not want you all to come there and crowd up the place!! : ) I love that during the week days it is even more slow-paced and romantic. Be sure to drink the blended Margaritas and get the fruit plate in the AM and the fresh-squeezed OJ. So MANY fine, simple pleasures here at GREAT prices!! Be prepared for a SIMPLE relaxing stay on the beach. I just got back tonight (Monday) and i am returning this weekend! I highly recommend this place, if you have concerns, just GO FOR IT!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BeachandMusiclover44

Reviewed 21 April 2009

I've travel a lot to mexico and different parts of the world but i have to admit that staying there is just the place to forget most of the problem if not all the problems of a normal life! my girl friend and I have been staying there for years now and my family loves it too. it is not a fancy place but is beautiful and yes take a radio bring a cooler and if you want some licor after all it is mexico......") a five star hotel doesn't give you the view and the sand as good as this one try it.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2008

Los Pelicanos is a terrific little hotel that's a little rough around the edges. But this is Mexico. You will not have a Five Star hotel experience at Los Pelicanos, but with a few items, you'll make your stay at there an absolutely fantastic one.

Location:
Issue- For a first timer, the hotel itself is pretty difficult to find off the free road. You have to drive down an nondescript alley. There is a mural on the side of the building in the alley and you can see it when driving northbound on the free road. However, other than that, pretty difficult to find.
Solution- If you call the hotel and ask for someone who can speak english (I spoke to Omar), they can guide you in. Know how to dial in Mexico via a cell phone with the correct number just in case. Spending a few extra dollars for roaming beats driving aimlessly through Rosarito. Also, don't use PemEx as a landmark. There's millions of them. The Hotel is by a Smart & Final supermarket, and by the Dominos. But if you're still lost (as I was), It's great to speak to a guy in english.

Sheets:
Issue- Bed Spread & Sheets are a little iffy.
Solution- Use your general rule of thumb with sheets and add a little extra caution. Your top comforter probably never gets washed, and neither does your "blanket" either. It was made of this polyester foam material. Your sheets get washed probably more frequently, so I can handle that. My recommendation is bring an inexpensive blanket that you can use for your stay that fits a king bed. If you're there during the warm season, you won't need to worry too much about staying warm. It's Mexico!

Towels:
Issue- Scratchy, and extremely hard to come by. They give you only 2 towels, and may not replace for the next morning. Plus you can't use the towels from the room to the pool. When asked for towels, the staff was extremely polite, however, it took FOREVER. Again, really polite, but the maids are on their own program and the staff really doesn't deal too much with them. So they tell someone who they hope will tell someone else, who hopes they will tell the maid, who may or may not bring the towels. Polite, but a little frustrating.
Solution- Before you drive down to Mexico, stop by a TJ Maxx or a Marshalls in San Diego and buy a couple non-white towels that you can use just to dry off from the shower. The non-white makes it unmistakable that the towel is yours, not the hotel's, you've always got towels you can dry off with that are soft and new, and you can just go to the pool and tell them to bring you a towel to you. Doesn't matter that it takes a bit, cause you're having fun at the pool.

Carpet:
Issue: I like walking around without my shoes at home, in hotel rooms, in my office, etc. The carpets look like they haven't been vacuumed in quite awhile. I may be a bit of an OCD guy, but I didn't like walking around without my shoes on.
Solution: Bring more than one pair of sandals. Pool/Jucuzzi/Shower/walk around hotel shoes and walk around town shoes. Maybe this tip is just for me, but thought you'd like to know

Price:
Issue: I came to the Mexico and Rosarito with the impression that food will be cheap and you could have a beach gettaway for a fraction of the price. To a certain extent that is true. Yes, the hotel is on the beach, and for $85 a night. Compared to anywhere in California or Texas, that would be a steal. However, that doesn't mean that food isn't still pretty dang high and you can easily spend over $100 for dinner. My girlfriend and I ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast, Vince's seafood and El Nido for dinners. Going there wasn't necessarily mistakes (they all served decent food), but we spent too much.
Solution: Roam and choose your food locations. There's quite a bit of Taco shacks and little eateries on the strip. Walk around and see what each little place has got to offer. I'm sure you could recreate what we ate from more of the smaller shops and eateries than the full sit down menu with American prices.

Boarder Crossing:
Issue: It took me 4 hours to cross the boarder. I had too use the bathroom the whole time, and I was in a living hell.
Solution: Heh...beats me. Just don't drink too much liquid before you get there and be prepared for the wait!

BIG WARNING! BIG WARNING!
The police in Mexico are famously corrupt. I've been traveling to Mexico several times and never had a problem. The key is to not give them anything to notice you by. Not necessarily blend in with locals, but don't break any laws and don't make yourself someone who's asking to be pulled over. Broken taillights, expired tags, so on so forth. Feel free and be the tourist that you are, just don't give them a reason to talk to you.

Unfortunately, I became complacent and I ignored the no USA rental car in Mexico rule. Plus I didn't have Mexican car insurance. At the boarder crossing, a "police officer" noticed my rental car tags, pulled us over, and essentially scammed us to bribe him $200 to avoid "court cases" and "bringing contraband" (the rental car) into the Mexico. If you get caught, don't be afraid, they won't take you away to a dungeon where you'll never be found, they just want to scam you for cash. I got angry, but what can you do? So I paid him 2000 pesos instead cause he said either or, and went back inline to cross the boarder.

Other than the border crossing infuriating incident, my trip to Mexico was absolutely terrific. With the above tips, your trip should be as well.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ahnion777
Reviewed 21 October 2008

MY fAMILY & I went oN vacations to rosarito
MANY tIMES; BUT these place is amasing
FOR all the family to stay.IF you want to stay in the best room
ASK FOR DON CHUY SUITE

MONICA

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2008

This hotel is just the best! we stayed on the third floor suite. We had two beadrooms with a kitchen and livingroom oceanview. The price was fair..$160 a night. Just steps from the beach, and a short walk to the bars and retaurants. The hotel restaurant was great, good food, good price. I am deffinatly staying there next time! Hope this helps some of you. Kids or no kids, you'll love this place.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank karla7h
Reviewed 23 September 2008

I booked this hotel after reading the multitudes of raving reviews. Boy, was I sure disappointed/disgusted.! Just to preface, I consider myself a seasoned traveller-having lived 12 years abroad and on 3 different continents and love travelling-its my passion. I equally can appreciate small family hotels to the Ritz in Paris etc. (lived in tiny family run hotels all over southeast Asia for 6 months and loved it/hotels/families who ran them etc.)

So, I came with excitement and good will to Los Pelicanos for my birthday weekend with my best friend.
I made the reservation for 2 nights over the phone/internet and was told they would need a credit card and would charge one night. Ok, fine. I gave them my credit card. I was splitting the stay with my friend, so she was going to pay the 2nd night when we arrived. They ran my card for both nights. Ok, no big deal, even when they told me twice they wouldnt, no big deal. Luckily, and I do say that with emphasis--I printed out the email where they quoted me the price per night-and had it in my purse. When we arrived, we were excited and we parked and went into the office. The lady there, I believe she and her husband and family run the place. Said I owe her for another night and that they always only charge one night on the credit card. I nicely explained, yes, I know, however you ran my card for two nights. She eyed me up and down suspiciously, or I should say, sizing me up--and then, continued to argue with me--Not, I might add, in a professional, lets discuss/resolve manner--it was no!, no! and she waved her hands up in the air at me, as if she lost patience with the situation. I calmly watched her (guess its the lawyer in me) and when she had finished her sad attempt at trying to make a fuss. I said, no your rate is: $53.00 per night --for the particular room we had booked--she said, No! and said that $110 that was charged on my credit card was the price for one night. I again calmly looked at her, and said, "No, its not." She again, in exasperation, said "Yes!" I then pulled out the email from her husband I believe that said the price per night-its also posted on their website (duh!) and said, here is the email, you charged me double what you said you would. Ok, that silenced her--and she sullenly said okay, okay, and waved her hand, like stop talking! (???) I was intent, not to let this ruin my evening and spirits--but impressed? No, trying to rip off your guests really does not fly with me.

A younger girl sullenly showed us to our room. It was okay. The room smelled like mildew/mold. We had a great day the next day. We came home around 6pm only to find water all over the floor and had soaked our weekend bags.
We looked up, and the ceiling had leaked badly. I did remember hearing what seemed to be a washing machine going on upstairs in the early morning.
Ok, things happen. But when we alerted them that not only was our room flooded, our weekend bags and some of our clothes were wet. They didnt say even "sorry for the inconvenience" nada, nothing!!!!! Or ask if they could wash our clothes that were now dirty with leaked water from God-knows where. They moved us to a smaller, not as nice room that smelled so badly of mildew/mustiness. At this point, I was livid, but it was late and my friend calmed me down and said, "Lets not let this ruin the trip." I tried to agree with her. We asked for a remote for the tv and they made us leave a $5.00 deposit on a 1980's at best-tv remote!!!?? after the inconvenience of it all??? I was like, Huh??? you have got to be kidding me. Yes, I'm going to steal your 80's remote to use on my flatscreen at home, NOT!!!!!
I mean, these people do not get the basics of hospitality. But I suppose if you consider attempting to steal from your patrons before they even have the room key, what can you expect. They were surly, unfriendly when passing (and we tipped $3.00 each morning for housekeeping, thought that would at least garner a smile) And we were friendly.
The restaurant wasnt bad, the food was pretty good and the margharita was delicious. They made me a banana/strawberry maggie that was great. My only complaint is that it was so dark--they only had lit candles on the tables and it was nearly pitch dark, it would have been nice to see. But I suppose they are saving electric.

All in all, I would never recommend this hotel. The second room we were moved to, I suspected the sheets were not changed from the people before ( a long black haired woman and man who checked out earlier that day) and I saw two long black hairs on the pillow--and I have short blonde hair and my friend has short afro-american hair. We noticed the hairs on the pillows before even getting into the bed. (Really really gross/unacceptable).

All in all...we had a great time, but not at all because of the hotel. I was really disappointed, I actually envisioned that I'd maybe found a great getaway and one that is easy to get to from LA. Instead, I can say, it was probably the worst place I've stayed ever. Worse than the snakes in the bathroom in China--at least the hoteliers got the snakes, made jokes and kept checking on us to make sure we were ok--served us tea at night as a bonus. They basically just showed that they cared.

This place was horrible. Do not waste your $ or your time. I would have reported them for attempted exhortion, but I know that corruption is part of the daily life there and it wouldnt be addresssed.
Signed,
Never again, ever

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank Soleil T
Reviewed 31 August 2008

My wife and my grand children have been going there for at least 10 years...befor the rentovations...Back then we experienced the same hospilityt that there is now! The rooms have always been clean, and any issues were taken care of rapidly! Hose, one of the prime bartenders has really been a blessing for all! He will arange anything within reason1...not naughty He is the proud father of a son that is probably 2 yrs. old by now! The kitchan, and the staff have always been above all my expetations! the menue is fantastic,the service is wonderful...in the dining area, or the enclosed outside area with a very close view of the ocean! The sunsets are very beautiful! I am anticipatinmg my nex trip there! I have trid various other hotels...but this is the best for me!!

• Stayed: March 2003, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosarito
Rosarito Beach Hotel
#5 of 14 in Rosarito
Pueblito Inn
Pueblito Inn
#8 of 14 in Rosarito

Been to Los Pelicanos Hotel? Share your experiences!