“Calafia, perfect for a romantic weekend”
Review of Califia Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rosarito
Califia Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Rosarito
hollywood, california
Reviewed 17 January 2006

i planned a last minute get-a-way for my bf and i. after trying to get reservations at some other hotels that came highly recomended i 'settled' on calafia and worried the whole way down. i was worried that we would be forced to stay in some scary room. when we pulled up to calafia at dusk calafia was a vison of beauty. a sprawling mission style compound on a cliff over looking the ocean. the reservation office was efficient and very kind. the bell boy took us to our room which wasnt ready yet. they told us to wait for 40 minutes and so we had a late lunch in their restaraunt and waited. delicious food and very nice staff. they told us they were giving us a different room and walked us up to a detached row of rooms with terra cotta steps and stucco walls. our room was clean and very nice. had a tv although we opted to listen to a radio and ipod we brought. i honestlly could not believe how much i loved our little mission style room complete with a high yellow glass window and beamed ceiling. we had a great time and cannot recomend calafia enough.

• Stayed: January 2006

San Diego, CA
Reviewed 26 September 2005

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding. We stayed in a Garden Room. It was $107.00 a night. There was no garden, only a view of another building. There was only 1 towel in the bathroom. The shower was very dirty. There was no phone in the room. We only stayed in the hotel for one night. When I woke up the next day, I had a very bad rash all over my face that got worse over the following 2 days. This rash lasted over a week. It was awful. After talking to several people I found out that Califia is known for dust mites. I have stayed at alot of hotels in Mexico over the last 20 years, and I have never had any problems with any other hotel. Califia was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I have had drinks at Califia over the years, but I had never stayed there. I will never ever stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 22 September 2005

I go to Northern Baja quite a bit from the US. I've never made a reservation, but stay over a night about 75% of the time.

I have camped often, stayed in both center city Rosarito and Tijuana. When looking for a bit more up-scale place, Calafia is my first choice.

Calafia has more private rooms than other hotel/motels. They are one story and zag through the lot as opposed to boxed together. Ocean views are a bit more money, but worth it typically. I've stayed in them and the more remote rooms. They are very clean.

If you are taken to a room that you absolutely do not like the location of, ask to move. Be polite. If it's not full, they are resonable enough to offer something else.

The bar, restaurant, etc. are nice enough. On slow nights or when there are a few weddings some parts may be off limits.

I find the staff here more accomidating than most places in the same price range in that region, excluding a few particulars. Also, they are very easy to find and easy to get a hold of.

Overall its a good deal and a nice place if you are looking for something just a step above the general options of Rosarito and TJ.

• Stayed: July 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 May 2005

We just got back from a night at the Calafia (it was supposed to be two nights). The hotel and grounds are lovely, our room was clean but spartan, and the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. The only gripe we had, and the reason we left a night early, was that the pool, jacuzzi and disco/bar weren't yet open - the hotel's website makes it appear that everything is operating at all times, yet it was not the case when we got there. The restaurant and breakfast buffet were great and the views and crashing surf were beautiful. We were happy to receive a voucher for a free night in the future when we checked out (we explained that it was a birthday celebration and we were hoping to have the pool and bar open...) - I'd definately go back during the summer. Great spot!

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank carbuk
shelton Wa
Reviewed 1 September 2004

I loved the hotel beautiful views, and gardens. Basic room but the view and food was excellent. Can't wait to get back this fall

Santa Monica, Ca
Reviewed 20 July 2004

Hello all. Beware of unscrupulous hotel employees at this hotel. I was promised that my necklace, which they HAD found, would be mailed to me. I was then informed that said necklace had been stolen and that I would be compensated. I dealt with an individual whom I thought was sincere. Needless to say, I have yet to receive any compensation even after this individual promised...even took down my address and phone. I even had my dear friend from Tecate actually visit the hotel to inquire. He was told that this jewelry was stolen. By then even I hadn't been told this news. The hotel is beautiful. Several employees are not. Yeah, I know it's Mexico. But come on, the necklace was described to me as if he was holding it right in front of him. I'm not angry, simply disappointed. For such a Catholic country, even. Hey, mistakes happen. Just make sure you double and triple check when you check out of this hotel. If anyone knows the owner/president of the Califia, please let me know. Thanks and try camping. Even THAT sounds safer.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 16 July 2004

I stayed in the Calafia Hotel on account of a wedding. The wedding was beautifullly done on a balcony overlooking the waves crashing against the rocks. Unfortunately, the rooms were a total dissapointment. They have obviously not kept up with the maintanance, very uncomfortable stay- ants problem, no privacy between restroom and bedroom, asked for sheets and given old ripped rags. Although my room was overlooking the ocean I could not help think why they hadn't thought about maintaining the rooms.

Great for weddings, not for staying overnight!

• Stayed: July 2004
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosarito
Rosarito Beach Hotel
#8 of 14 in Rosarito
Rosarito Inn
Rosarito Inn
#3 of 14 in Rosarito

Been to Califia Hotel? Share your experiences!