“A New Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baja Calypso

Baja Calypso
Ranked #5 of 153 Restaurants in Rosarito
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Cheap Eats, Romantic, Groups, View
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Los Angeles, California
“A New Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Located 2.5 miles south of the Fox Studios on the free road, across the highway from the giant statue of Christ, you'll find the newest Rosarito eatery to come along. Opened in March of 2014 Baja Calypso is a sure bet to the top of the restaurant ratings. Perched atop the bluff overlooking the ocean where the views are unmatched. You have a choice of eating Al Fresco or in their dining room.
Our first visit was for Sunday breakfast. We started with Bloody Mary's and Mimosas, made with fresh juices. I ordered the Pacifica Eggs Benedict served with crab meat and avocado on English muffins and a rich Hollandaise sauce ($7.00). My wife had the Lola omelette that was stuffed with bay shrimp and crab meat, topped with a to die for lobster sauce($8.00). Both dishes came with golden brown roasted potatoes and
fresh fruit. The quality of the food is something you would pay 2 or 3 times as much for in the States. You won't find "chips & salsa" here, only freshly prepared and imaginative food.
We can't wait to go back for dinner!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Califorian

Solana Beach, California
“Not to be misses if your close to Rosarito♡”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Anytime you can get delicious French food on the beach in Baja Mexico I'm in. The food the wine the service, all outstanding. Can't wait to get back there.

• Visited May 2014
los angeles
“A welcome addition to the restaurant scene in Rosarito”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Atmosphere, good food and superb service. I had the steak in shallot sauce on one occasion. Perfect, The goat cheese salad was excellent. Would have appreciated a larger selection of wines - all in good time!

• Visited April 2014
Rosarito, Mexico
“Best Gem in Rosarito!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

A friend of mine told me that this restaurant just opened and that we should go and check it out.
So as we walked in we were greeted by the owner himself. He gave us a friendly and warm welcome and gave us a choice where to sit down. I picked a spot in the back outside patio facing a million dollar view consisting of a beautiful ocean and a surfers cove!
The waiter greeted us and was very tentative and handed us their well informed menu. He took our appetizer and drink order right away.
When the food came out I was pleasantly surprised with the presentation, it felt like i was dining in Paris the way the plate was set up.
I had the halibut fillet entree which I fully recommend, it was so tasty and fresh and generously well portioned.
I've had fish in mexico before and sometimes when they say its halibut usually its not the case. I use to be in the meat and seafood industry for years and I can tell the difference. Calypso really uses genuine and fresh ingredients in their food. I was even compelled to tip the chef, it was so good :)
Oh! and the escargots are amazing very very tenderly delicious, it was paired with a garlic herb and butter to perfection!
We asked for the best tequila in the house and they proved it right away, they brought out this anejo that was off the chart in my book, i think it was called La Cuerda and its an anejo, its very silky and smooth with a finished oaky taste.
So, over all I think Baja calypso is a "Clean restaurant, tasty as can be, generously portioned, well priced food, with great service." Oh, and they all speak english too

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank dappy101
Baja California Norte, Mexico
“Love the atmosphere and menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Such a great little new spot! Some of the food we tried was excellent, some just ok but Calypso is a gem. Bar was not yet well stocked but we go by. Very enjoyable atmosphere and the staff is friendly and attentive.

• Visited March 2014