“Good, basic hotel.”
Review of El Capitan

El Capitan
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Felipe
El Capitan
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in San Felipe
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The room was very basic, but clean. The swimming pool and area around it was clean, but tiles in the pool were slippery. It was difficult for my husband to get out of the pool - no traction. The maids helped him get out. That being said, I would go there again. Office people were very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not near the pool, if it is a weekend. People are there to party, after all.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank d7bythesea

Reviewed 8 January 2013

The room was clean and comfortable, you have to remember, you are not paying 75 dollars a night. It has a small pool and room service was as expected. I stayed there last year when the restraunt was open. It is a 2 minute walk to downtown, very convenient for tacos and beer, what else is there in san felipe when the race isn't in town. I would go there again if I didn't take my rv to san felipe

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
10  Thank 37Ktm950
Reviewed 22 October 2012

This hotel is the most horrible hotel in the whole world.
My in laws and my family went there to have some relaxing time, but besides fighting with cockroaches at night in our bedrooms, we finally go to sleep and at 2am the owner's son brought about 25-30 friends and had the parking lot full of trucks with LOUD Mexican music and made so much noise while drinking alcohol by the pool, we told the manager but the son didn't listen until it was 6am we had to call the police for them to stop. We will never go back there ever again.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank Asaoda
Reviewed 22 October 2012

dirty room owner son had party on pool area & until 5;30 AM loud music finally i called police . most drity hotel in the world. dont spend not even 1cent for that hotel . rooms was full of roaches .blanket was ripped . there is no service at all . pool water was yellow

Room Tip: just dont go to el capitan
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank kambiz n
Reviewed 23 June 2011

An affordable, well maintained older motel with a good location on Mar de Cortez ( Sea of Cortez St ). The room we stayed in this time was a King, last year a Queen. Both rooms where clean and basic with TV and AC. Nothing fancy. Maids always give me extra towels when I ask. Remember maids are paid poorly and a tip goes a long way for them. We tip them a few dollars and everyone is happy. A tip will sometimes get you swans made from towels in your room. A little out of place here! Located a block off of the beach and Malecon with all the stores, bars and restaurants along the sea wall. You can party on the Malecon and walk home!
A great Coffee place BAJA JAVA, one block north on Mar de Cortez St. A decent restaurant with WIFI on site upstairs over the hotel office that local ex-pats patronize. We have eaten breakfast and dinner there several times with friends. Never disappointed. They serve only Omaha beef steaks on dinner menu. Very tasty. Another great place called FAT BOYS PIZZA ( reviewed separately ) 3 blocks north. Both are clean restaurants with good food and service. El Capitan hotel has a decent pool area. Tables, Umbrella's and Lounge chairs. Staff cleans the pool & pool deck every morning. Good WIFI connection on pool deck. Get the access code at the restaurant upstairs if you patronize them. Go to the office end of pool deck if you need a really good connection. We start our days with coffee from Baja Java one block north, By 9:00 AM I go buy a San Diego newspaper ( $2.00 ) from the guy on crutch's selling newspapers and magazines off the back of his pickup at the PEMEX gas station. Then to the pool area with my laptop to check emails and send photo's to family while enjoying the early morning peace and quiet poolside as my wife calls our kids on the Magic Jack and has her coffee. For Mexico and Baja we consider this an above average property.
NOTE: To buy a newspaper. Go south / right when leaving El Capitan parking lot on Mar de Cortez street in front of motel to stop sign, turn right up hill past the Riviera Hotel on the left and the policia station on the right, then through first one stop sign. (I think), then to stop sign at intersection on main north south highway with a PEMEX gas station on far side of intersection. He usually sets up to the north of the PEMEX gas station on the side of the road. He is usually there by 8:00 AM but sometimes 9:00 if delivery from U.S. is late.

Room Tip: Request a King size bed room. Weekdays are best.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Bajatrader
Reviewed 10 June 2010

I've been to dozens of economical hotels in Mexico, and didn't mind this one's lumpy matresses, or even the wild Ranchero Fiesta in our parking lot between 2:00 and 4:00 in the morning, but i did take exception to the food floating in the pool and on the pool lounge chairs, and the maid going into my room and helping herself to my camera just before I came back from breakfast my last day there. She maid sure to leave the case, so I didn't notice the theft until I got to Ensenada. And, yes, she die it. she was leaving the room as I returned from the meal, and I'd used the camera an hour before, and put it in it's case then in my duffle.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Barkissimo
Reviewed 9 September 2008

Its a safe place, excellent service from the restaurant, and check in.

On the other hand they do inforce a bracellet on some of the guests and not all.. why? i never got a straight answer....

They are pet friendly... and will allow dogs in to the pool... i am sorry but with small children this is a big no-no...

Would i recomend? no, mostly due to their discriminating practices and the pet issues... i understand they are strugling for guests but, please don't alienate the loyal ones specially the nationals just to acomodate afew ill mannered pet owners...

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank beachladyTijuana

Been to El Capitan? Share your experiences!