“Horrible Food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Yuma, Arizona
“Horrible Food”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Six of us (four friends, my husband and I) just returned from a wonderful trip to San Felipe, Mexico. Our restaurant experiences were quite varied, starting with the horrible meals we were served at the Restaurante de la Hacienda de la Langosta Roja (aka The Red Lobster Restaurant). My husband and I had eaten there several years before and thoroughly enjoyed the fare - so we recommended to our friends that we eat there and were totally embarrassed (and ridiculed) after our meal!
The wait people were impressively dressed, the outdoor patio dining area was quite nice, clean and there was a young mansinging, who was quite enjoyable and easy to listen to.

Each of the six of us ordered a different meal, and all were equally bad.
The presentation was quite impressive - apparently the cook(s) had taken lessons in presentation but forgot the preparation part of the classes.

The bread, served with a choice of butter or balsamic vinegar and olive oil was quite nice. The bread sticks were not - they were dry and testeless.

The soup and salad course received mixed reviews from our group. My Cream of Garlic soup was excellent. The salads, though impressive looking, were not good. The lettuce was gritty, so that overpowered the thought that anything else on the salad was any good.
....The Chicken Marsala, as my friend said, should have been called Chicken Balsamic as the sauce tasted of balsamic vinegar and was not good
....The Florentine Flounder Fllet tasted flat and was cold
....The Fettuccine Alfredo was tasteless and cold
....The Linguini with White Clam Sauce, though plenty warm, was so salty, I think someone had thrown the contents of an entire (quite large) salt shaker into the mixture
.... The Stuffed Calamari and the Stuffed Shrimp elicited equally disparaging comments.

I did complain to the waitress about the salty sauce on the Linguini, and she shrugged her shoulder, said "too salty?" and walked away.

The price of the meals was comparable to eating at a Red Lobster Restaurant in the States. so we expected to have at least a decent meal. We were all terribly disappointed.

There was a very nice hole in the wall restaurant nearby that was recommended to us by a young man sitting on a curb. We went there for our next meal and were absolutely delighted (see my review on the Green House Restaurant) and ate breakfast there twice and dinner there twice. We also ate at the Pavilions Restaurant at the El Dorado Ranch for breakfast and lunch and were very pleased with the meals there.

• Visited April 2012

Santa Ana, California
“The best in San Felipe!”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The atmosphere, food,service. Everything was great!

• Visited April 2011