“A high standard in Tijuana”

Grand Hotel Tijuana
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Tijuana
Ensenada, Mexico
“A high standard in Tijuana”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

The Grand Hotel in Tijuana is an iconic landmark of the city, and a standar place for business and pleasure trips. It is easy to get from and to the border, and not far away from the airport. I have stayed here mostly for business and, on occassion, when a plane was overbooked and I volunteered to stay overnight. Most rooms have a good view of the golf course behind the hotel. The rooms have lots of natural light, which is a pleasant experience in the morning.
Although the hotel is over 30 yrs old, maintenance is good, but it lacks what are now standards in most hotels, security boxes in every room. The hotel attendants are amiable and prompt in their service, the elevators are quiet, and the conference rooms excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank lateleapagada
GrandHotelTijuana, Director of Sales at Grand Hotel Tijuana, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
We appreciate yours comments, We hope to see you again in a near future.
Tank you for staying with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a few times and over the years you can see the deterioration is overcoming the rooms. The rooms are clean but starting to show the wear. There is a cabinet for a refrigerator, microwave and safety box, but none are provided. Possible in other rooms it is, but each time I have stay there is none and not a big deal. The TV sets are old and in great need of updating. The shower did not have hot water this time which has never happened before.

The morning buffet is usually crowded so I would recommend ordering in unless you like a big meal in the morning.

Registration/checking-in always is slow and this time they did not have my registration; luckily I provide them with my confirmation email otherwise I would have been overcharged for the room.
The view is great. Just have to ask for the city or golf course view. There is parking; make sure to validate the parking pass.

Overall, it is a fair value if you book a room using AAA, AARP or Grand Rewards rate, otherwise not worth the value. The Grand Hotel is not a Five Star hotel with superior service or decor. If you are expecting luxury and consistent quality you will be disappointed. But, if you are looking for mostly clean, mostly secure and generally comfortable place to stay at a reasonable price, then the Grand Hotel is a good choice.

Room Tip: ask for the city or golf course view when booking
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Redbear21
We appreciate yours comments! We are making some changes in order to improve the facilities and exceeding the expectations of our guests, We hope to see you again in a near future.
Tank you for staying with us!
La Mesa, California
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Nice view, excelent location, but for the price there is always room for improvement. Our room was clean but a light fixture was falling from the ceiling, another one was not working, food was good but too expensive

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Veronica P
Thank you for your comments! We are making some changes in order to improve the facilities and exceeding the expectations of our guests.
We hope to see you again in a near future. And thank you for staying with us!
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Great hotel with amazing views. Seems to be well centred and easily accessible. Close to most ammenities. The pool and hot tub are very clean as well as the cabanas. The staff is great and very friendly. Restaurants at the hotel were really good.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sandy T
GrandHotelTijuana, Director of Sales at Grand Hotel Tijuana, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
We really appreciate your opinion about our property and we will do the best for getting every day a better service.
Thanks for your comment!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 October 2012

For one reason or other, the Grand Hotel reminded me most of some similar hotels in the Middle East. What is different, however, is that the exterior of the Grand is very unimposing (almost like a parking lot), which is odd as the hotel is in one of a couple of very high towers. During my stay, there were many military service-persons around at all times. Front desk service was absolutely excellent (and it isn't often in hotels, I find!), as was room-service and breakfast service. Wake up calls were prompt, housekeeping efficient and friendly. While the decor is slightly tired, views are good, rooms spacious, beds comfortable and bathrooms beautiful, laid out with marble - in my case, anyway. Breakfast is abundant and tasty. There were two things that struck me as odd: firstly, the restaurant, although it has good food, is not on a par with the rest of the hotel. And, strangely, I couldn't always get warm water (or had to wait very long). However, if would I come back to Tijuana -and I hope to, because I like the energy of this city- I would certainly not mind staying at the Grand Hotel. In summary: recommended.

Room Tip: On the city-side of the building (where I did not stay), views seem to be better.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Moritz73
We really appreciate your opinion about our property and we will do the best for getting every day a better service for you!
Thank you for your comment!
Metepec, Mexico
Reviewed 25 September 2012

As the title of my review says, I was expecting more, I attended Grand Hotel Tijuana as part of the team in charge of the logistic/organization of a CONAQUIC congress for 1 week, I shared the room with 1 colleague and I had access to breakfast and meals in the restaurant's buffet, the food was good for most of the time even though I saw a roach roaming in the bread basket in the breakfast buffet.

The rooms were the disappointing part, because they were too small for my taste, the hotel needs a remodeling, it begins to look old, I was expecting something different for what I paid.

The rooms were always clean, the bathroom was also very clean, the gym had everything I needed for a small workout, the pool was also good, because it was almost empty and it was also very clean without being flooded with chlorine.

I would certainly search for a better option before staying at this hotel for more than a weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Alex_Norris
Thank you for your comments!
We are making some changes in order to improve the facilities and exceed the expectations of our guests. We hope to see you again in a near future.
Thank you for staying with us!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Get a room facing the city for a nice night time view of TJ. The pool and hot tub were very clean and refreshing. Excellent service from housekeeping and the front desk. Good restaurants across the street. Did not eat at hotel but restaurants in hotel looked good.

Room Tip: Go high and face the city for good view of tijuana
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank msskyler
We really appreciate your opinion about our hotel.
Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again in a near future.