“Good hotel for a stayover”

Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio
Ranked #24 of 45 Hotels in Tijuana
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one ight. Has a Spa adyacent, and a jacuzzi with thermal waters. However could not use it as it was way too hot. Later someone told me that I should call the reception 15 minutes before using it to control the temp.... Mmmmm.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear ETame,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

This was my first visit to the hotel. I found it conveniently located and exceptionally clean. The food was tasty with local dishes on the menu.
My people use Tijuana for inexpensive medical treatments. This place would be ideal-close to services and quiet.

Room Tip: the higher you go the quieter...less street noise. pool closes early.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Absolutely will not stay there again. Internet price was not honored at first then when they accepted that I had a printout of the reservation with price they accepted the reservation. BUT I was billed for BOTH reservations and it has not come off the credit card statement yet. Front desk did not know how to add Priority Club number to reservation. I will stay at the Baja Inn for sure from now on.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Rich F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Rich F,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Lera P

Reviewed 30 May 2013

I traveled to Tijuana recently with a colleague on a business trip for a two-night stay. I made a single reservation for 2 rooms-2 nights with the intention of each of us paying separately for our rooms. First mistake. What should have been a simple process turned out to be a nightmare. Upon dividing the reservation, the staff attempted to jack up the room rate significantly. It took three discussions with the manager to get the rate back close to the reservation amount. Luckily I had printed out the confirmation email and had something in writing. (Also, I made the reservation at the US website in dollars, rather than in pesos. Another mistake.)

Our flight arrived early and we arrived at the hotel well before the posted check-in time. Turns out that there was no flexibility. We ended up in the restaurant for hours waiting for rooms, even though we were "Priority Club" members. While we did get our rooms at the posted time, it wasn't a minute early.

The rooms were spacious, well-appointed, and clean. The bed was very firm, as in most Mexican hotels, but satisfactory. The flat screen TV had a variety of channels and good, clear reception.

The bathroom had a heavy glass shower door which appeared to be more for an "upscale" look than for function. It was hard to open and close and water leaked out onto the bathroom floor each time I showered. The toilet was not mounted properly to the floor and rocked when you sat down. It didn't leak, but it was annoying.

At bedtime, the AC in my room suddenly stopped cooling. Rather than get up, get dressed, and wait for a late night repair (had there been someone available), I opened the window. I was able to sleep comfortably, albeit there was a noisy street below and exhaust fumes from the kitchen most of the night.

On the second day I returned to my room after being out all day and my key-card didn't work. I had to go back to the front desk and get it re-activated.

On our final morning I awoke to find that the free internet access code had expired at midnight, so I was unable to get online to check email or read the news before I headed out to the airport.

The final frustration was that in trying to split the reservation into two separate ones, the front desk staff had put both rooms into my colleagues' name. I was unable to get a room receipt with my name on it, nor was my Priority Club account credited with the "points" for my stay.

None of the negatives that I experienced were a deal breaker for me. There were definitely some challenges and disappointments during my stay and the hotel staff had the opportunity to offer outstanding customer service to fix the problems. While courteous, no one ever said a simple "I'm sorry" or went out of their way to solve anything.

Considering all the little nagging problems together made this a less than stellar experience. When I return to Tijuana I'll probably look elsewhere for lodging.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Tijuana Zona Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear Robert B,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C

Reviewed 19 May 2013

Wife and I were here for a week....
Room was nice, comfortable
Service was more than adequate.
Staff was friendly helpful, but did not always speak english
Food was good, but not typical "US fare" especially breakfast, so be prepared
Free Wifi - good speed
$5.00 cab ride to mall/movies.
Number of "US" eateries near by
Dealing with currency conversion always seems a hassle.
They have a pool and hot tub (did not try it)
Overall enjoyed the stay and hospitality

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Had to go to Tijuana for a funeral. Called direct after 10 p.m. and staff said reservation desk was closed, but that I could book online by going to website. I had no problems booking a room online. Arrived on Friday at 2:40, staff said I could not check in until 3:00 p.m. Went and waited in resturant. Had a lemonade at restaurant while waiting. Checked in at 3:00. Room was on 2nd floor. Window has view to a busy boulevard in back of hotel. A little noisy, but bearable. Ordered in room service, ordered coffee the next morning. Delivered fresh, hot and fast. Had breakfast downstair at the restaurant, buffet. It was good, it was well priced and the staff was very accommodating. I have no complaints. Parking was good. Taxi service was great. Bellhop was very nice, had great restaurant recommendations. I would stay here again. It's a little bit far from Plaza Rio Tijuana, it's not that close to the border, but if you want peace and quiet away from downtown or Plaza Rio Tijuana shopping center, this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2012

First let me start with the location, it's a few blocks away South from Plaza Rio and a couple blocks from Plaza Galerias Hipodromo and Caliente Stadium.

Many restaurant's nearby and lots of things to do. In house restaurant seems to be good but I couldn't try it.

Hotel has free parking and wifi, some rates include the breakfast buffet. Also there is taxi service inside the hotel so no waiting to get a cab. The building was recently renovated so it is very clean and fresh. Rooms are big but a little bit noisy.

If you happen to be in Tijuana give it a try, you won't be dissapointed as you will get good service and classic holiday inn ammenities.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo