“Terrific dinner in Tijuana (or anywhere)”
Review of Mision 19

Mision 19
Ranked #7 of 631 Restaurants in Tijuana
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I spent a quick weekend in TJ with my wife & friends, specifically to try dinner here but it is an easy trip from the border and an American can easily go down and back in an evening (though we do have Sentri passes). The setting, in an office building, is modern industrial, but still comfortable. The service was spot on and unhurried. I had a pea soup (not typically my favorite) with a Meyer lemon cream that was refreshing and full of flavor. My roasted white fish was served with bits of fried chicken, a terrific combo. Dessert was a cranberry bread pudding. All drew raves from my fellow diners and me. Others had a wedge salad (with terrific cheese dressing, only too much of it) octopus (very tender and perfectly cooked) fillet and short ribs (with a mole sauce, not the typical wine reduction). Even the bread selections were great. The portions are plenty big enough - we all left fully satisfied. There is a nice sized wine list of mostly Baja wines, including many of the best, served well. All in all it was a wonderful dinner, at perhaps half the cost of a similar meal in San Diego. I'll be back!

2  Thank Peter S

Reviewed 31 March 2014

So my business partner was down from Canada and heard great things about this restaurant. He mentioned he wanted to try it since he was so close to TJ. I told him that it's a LONG ordeal crossing the border back without SENTRI. (He didn't have Sentri).

He wanted to go and no talking him out of it so we made the trek down to TJ to dine here. I talked another friend to come with us and we made dinner reservations and came down. We parked on the US border (San Ysidro) and walked over and then took a taxi to the restaurant. It was only 10 minutes away.

The taxi driver never heard of this place before and he asked me a few times if I was sure as this was a commercial area where I told him. He said he didn't remember any restaurants in that area. I told him I was sure. I'm fluent in Spanish so that helps. He dropped us off at a commercial building. We did see a sign for the restaurant but at first we thought it was closed.

Luckily a security guard asked us if we were looking for the restaurant and we had to go into the commercial building and go up to the 2nd floor. No way anyone would find this unless they were already looking for it.

Beautiful restaurant. We had early reservations as I didn't want to cross too late. It was a saturday night when we went. It was fairly empty when we arrived as we were eating super early at 5:30 PM. We each got the 6 course meal and everything was great. (see photos).

The staff is really great. Assorted fresh breads and although the portions are small, I was stuffed by the time we left. We finished around 8 PM when we were going to grab a drink at the bar above but I noticed the Border Crossing App said the wait to cross was 2 hours 45 minutes! Yikes. I have SENTRI (Global Entry) but my 2 friends didn't so we took a taxi to the border and crossed. It did take almost 3 hours to cross so while the meal was great I'd NEVER come here again unless everyone in the party had SENTRI.

The chef also has a restaurant in Bonita (near Chula Vista) called Romescos and it's EXCELLENT so I'd highly recommend that place. HUGE menu and I've been a few times. If you don't have SENTRI I'd recommend Romesco's instead.

But it was a great meal and I'd come again if someone had Sentri.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Went with the highest expectations and they were met. The food was incredible, the tuna parfait and the local crab. The mescal cart to start was insane. Go for sure!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I was really surprised to discover that Tijuana has a first class restaurant scene that rivals many in the United States. I have visited this restaurant twice. Each time I had to remind myself that I was in Tijuana, not San Francisco or Beverly Hills! Mision 19 has to be one of the best. The ambience is very modern and the food is very sophisticated, although a little bit salty on my recent visit. Best of all, the pricing is very reasonable. Dinner for two with drinks (but no dessert) plus tip, was under $90. Provecho!

2  Thank Alex D
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Modern ambiance. Sophisticated food. Great baja wine menu. Definitely a must go. Atop a high floor of a modern enviromentaly friendly building.

1  Thank Notsag