“Maybe bad luck!”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
San Luis Potosi, Mexico
“Maybe bad luck!”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Usually everything is perfect, in this occasion service was extreamly slow and had to tell the waiter, one dish tablitas (beef) was overcooked and had to ask for another.

2 Thank danyvoid77

“another surprise”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We go to Tijuana or Tecate often to dine, because the food is usually far superior to what we find in San Diego. We had read the rave reviews of Mision 19, enjoyed Saveirio's and Romesco, so went with high expectations--which were dashed. I will say drinks and wine were exemplary; I thought the appetizers were delish, altho hub thought very salty. But the shocker was that our entrées actually bordered on inedible! My fish was dry, rubbery, and the adobo verde sauce so scant that it was of little help. Husband said his duck was flavorless with a disagreeable texture. The octopus on pasta was not recognizable as octopus because it was ground up kind of like chorizo, then crisp-fried, so had none of that wonderful texture that is the reason I love octopus. We watched one of our dinner companions take a bite of her chicken entree, make a face, and put her fork down! Owner-chef was away at an event in Valle de Guadalupe, so wonder if that was a factor . . .

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank rinna
San Diego, California
“Terrific dinner in Tijuana (or anywhere)”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I spent a quick weekend in TJ with my wife & friends, specifically to try dinner here but it is an easy trip from the border and an American can easily go down and back in an evening (though we do have Sentri passes). The setting, in an office building, is modern industrial, but still comfortable. The service was spot on and unhurried. I had a pea soup (not typically my favorite) with a Meyer lemon cream that was refreshing and full of flavor. My roasted white fish was served with bits of fried chicken, a terrific combo. Dessert was a cranberry bread pudding. All drew raves from my fellow diners and me. Others had a wedge salad (with terrific cheese dressing, only too much of it) octopus (very tender and perfectly cooked) fillet and short ribs (with a mole sauce, not the typical wine reduction). Even the bread selections were great. The portions are plenty big enough - we all left fully satisfied. There is a nice sized wine list of mostly Baja wines, including many of the best, served well. All in all it was a wonderful dinner, at perhaps half the cost of a similar meal in San Diego. I'll be back!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Peter S
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,411 helpful votes
“Really great food but food is great at chef's San Diego restaurant”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

So my business partner was down from Canada and heard great things about this restaurant. He mentioned he wanted to try it since he was so close to TJ. I told him that it's a LONG ordeal crossing the border back without SENTRI. (He didn't have Sentri).

He wanted to go and no talking him out of it so we made the trek down to TJ to dine here. I talked another friend to come with us and we made dinner reservations and came down. We parked on the US border (San Ysidro) and walked over and then took a taxi to the restaurant. It was only 10 minutes away.

The taxi driver never heard of this place before and he asked me a few times if I was sure as this was a commercial area where I told him. He said he didn't remember any restaurants in that area. I told him I was sure. I'm fluent in Spanish so that helps. He dropped us off at a commercial building. We did see a sign for the restaurant but at first we thought it was closed.

Luckily a security guard asked us if we were looking for the restaurant and we had to go into the commercial building and go up to the 2nd floor. No way anyone would find this unless they were already looking for it.

Beautiful restaurant. We had early reservations as I didn't want to cross too late. It was a saturday night when we went. It was fairly empty when we arrived as we were eating super early at 5:30 PM. We each got the 6 course meal and everything was great. (see photos).

The staff is really great. Assorted fresh breads and although the portions are small, I was stuffed by the time we left. We finished around 8 PM when we were going to grab a drink at the bar above but I noticed the Border Crossing App said the wait to cross was 2 hours 45 minutes! Yikes. I have SENTRI (Global Entry) but my 2 friends didn't so we took a taxi to the border and crossed. It did take almost 3 hours to cross so while the meal was great I'd NEVER come here again unless everyone in the party had SENTRI.

The chef also has a restaurant in Bonita (near Chula Vista) called Romescos and it's EXCELLENT so I'd highly recommend that place. HUGE menu and I've been a few times. If you don't have SENTRI I'd recommend Romesco's instead.

But it was a great meal and I'd come again if someone had Sentri.

• Visited March 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“What a surprise”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Went with the highest expectations and they were met. The food was incredible, the tuna parfait and the local crab. The mescal cart to start was insane. Go for sure!

• Visited March 2014