“Unknown in tijuana”

Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Tijuana
Seattle, Washington
“Unknown in tijuana”
Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my mom for 2 night on January 26 and 27. The room quality reminded me of a comfort inn or quality inn in the states but the fixtures in the room were more modern. We felt completely safe here with no issues. We even walked about 2 blocks to an Oxxo store and felt safe then as well. We also walked to a shopping mall and that was nice too. The only store I was familiar with was sears but all in all good shopping. The staff here are very friendly and speak English well. We never had an issue with that. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Melissa T
HotelRealR, E-Commerce at Hotel Real del Rio Tijuana, responded to this review, 8 February 2013

Through this Yours sincerely, all who work at HOTEL REAL DEL RIO, We thank you for allowing us to be your host and having exceeded your expectations of service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Blaine, Washington
Reviewed 1 January 2013

My sister and I just got back from spending New Year's Eve in Tijuana. We stayed at Hotel Real del Rio and were very pleased with our stay. The location is fairly easy to find, in Zona Rio, and it is down a nice quiet street. The service was outstanding, the front desk very pleasant and professional, and the staff in the bar and restaurant were also very friendly. The bar was a very pleasant surprise, the decor was ultra modern and the drinks were so cheap! We only paid $3.60 for each of our drinks. We also paid a very reasonable price for the hotel room. The room was very nicely decorated, very comfortable and modern. My only complaints are the towels, rough and scratchy and only one hand towel and 2 bath towels, and the pillows weren't even in a proper pillow case, just in some sham covers and the pillows were flat. But those were minor issues, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, the rooms were quiet even though it was New Year's eve, and the location is so convenient to the border. We will definitely stay here again! Thank you to everyone at Hotel Real del Rio.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SewerGal
San Diego, California
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Surrounded by great restaurants, shops and the famous CECUT planetarium, this cozy-chic hotel in the Zona del Rio is a great value. Rates are <$100 and you have all the amenities needed. Free WiFi, hotel bar and it’s restaurant, La Miel, is wonderful.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bernardo A
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I logged onto Google maps and did a search for hotels in Ensenada for the Baja 1000. I clicked on the El Cortez as we had stayed there several times in the past several Baja 500, and 1000 races. The parking garage is very well protected and the hotel has 24-hour guards to watch vehicles and race cars. They also make room for trailers. Anyway, enough on the El Cortez as it's a great hotel.

When you click on the Google Map Pin it takes you to www.BajaInn.com

I selected El Cortez and the photo at the top of the site confirmed I was on the right hotel. I booked my stay for the Baja 1000. What happened was that a reservation was made at the Hotel del Rio in Tijuana not the requested hotel in Ensenada.

Beware when making reservations online with this company. Always call the hotel and speak to the manager. The hotel in Ensenada has taken great care of us... This other hotel has found away to make false reservations from people wanting to book another hotel.

When I called to ask for a refund, they took my number and said they would call back... No word yet.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I loved this place. The staff was great, the buffet breakfast set us up for the day and the rooms were lovely. Parking was safe and the area around the hotel is great. No complaints whatsoever. I don't think you can find a better place in Tijuana.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sandy H
India
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We were in Mexico for some official work. We had booked the room in advance and were hoping to have good time. It did not turn out to be exactly the same!

We were not given an extra bed though the booking was for three people.

We ordered food on several occasions and found it to be substandard. Also, they had this system of collecting cash every time they delivered food, which was quite a nuisance.

I went to the gym in the evening to find that the door was locked. After getting the code, I had it opened through a security official. It was a very small room, no more than 10 feet x 10 feet, and was cramped with gym equipment. There was no ventilation and air-conditioner was not working. I had to abandon the idea of working out. On way to the room upstairs, the elevator conked out. Neither would it move nor the doors would open. Fortunately, captain of the restaurant was with me and he managed to open it after a while. It was strange that he he was whistling during this entire period of confinement in the elevator!

Inside the bathroom, the shower had no pressure. Though the bath towels were white, they were extremely rough on the skin. It gave the impression that they were line dried.

Also, it was difficult to communicate with the staff since hardly anybody spoke English.

On the whole, it was not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My first trip to TJ, was scared by many friends about the dangers of TJ. After a day at this place, I thought it was much cleaner than many of the hotels I have been to in the United States. Excellent and friendly staff as well.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo