“Cockroaches will be your roommates”
Review of Economico Hotel

Economico Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tijuana
Economico Hotel
Ranked #17 of 32 Tijuana B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Cockroaches will be your roommates”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Despite what the map on tripadvisor shows, Hotel Economico is on Av. Madero, between Articulo 123 (aka 1st St.) and 2nd St. I liked the location, because it's only a block away from Av. Revolucion and Soriana Supermarket (24 hours), and a few blocks from municipal market. There were taco stands at the corner of 2nd street and Av. Madero, I learned they were even open at 3 in the morning on weekdays. There were a lot of busses eastbound on 2nd St., convenient when going to the border, Zona Rio, airport, etc.

Maybe because I requested a room with a good wifi signal, they didn't have any single room with a view, my room had a window against the indoor hallway. It was a bit hot, so I kept it open, I could hear my neighbors well. No A/C, but it had a fan. The room and the bathroom were tiny. This was my 2nd time at Hotel Economico, they don't have a shower curtain, so the whole bathroom gets wet for a while. The shower was nice and hot.

There was no storage space. The water coolers were on the hallways.

Like Hotel San Diego across the street, owned by same owner and I sent a request to tripadvisor to get it listed, this hotel is also infested by cockroaches. I've seen a cockroach or two at majority of Mexican hotels, but I'd use a word 'infested' for this place. I've killed more than 30 during my few days of stay. I'm used to staying at budget hotels in developing countries, but I don't recommend this place for anybody who's never been out of developed countries.

One day I spotted they were changing mattress, and old was in the hallway. I was relieved that I didn't find any trace of bed bugs, and mine were also safe at 2 different rooms.

My review so far doesn't sound too positive, but I ended up staying for 3 nights, and came back for second time. You ask me why. The biggest draw of Hotel Economico was including a hearty Mexican breakfast. I'll upload photos, but you choose from a dozen different food, coffee or agua fresca.

The good:
Same rate for weekend or weekdays. Many budget (if not all categories) hotels in Tijuana raises prices prices on weekends but not here nor Hotel San Diego. I paid 240 pesos a night for a single.
They post '4 hours rate', but I didn't notice (or hear) any such short term guests.
Good value breakfast for big breakfast eaters.
Reliable and fast wifi at selected rooms.
Friendly and bilingual front desk staff.
The bad:
Cockroach infested. Bring your flip flops and be ready to kill dozens. And no, don't bring food.
Tiny rooms.
Poor air circulation at some rooms.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank maverikbc

Families
Couples
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed 16 August 2013

As the other reviewer noted, this is not an American-style motel, and shouldn't be judged as one. Rooms are very basic and small (I've only stayed in the singles), not in the best physical condition (i.e. cracks in tiles, things like that), but they are pretty clean. The bathrooms are tiny, and can be hard to maneuver in, but plenty of warm water and decent pressure, which can be an issue in some places in Mexico. Some rooms have more space than others. Cable or Satellite TV with a couple of English channels (local SD stations). No AC, but there are fans, and the weather is pretty moderate down there most of the time. The rooms do get pretty warm and humid, especially after using the shower. If the weather was above 80-85 F, I'd probably spring for a place with AC, but I prefer much cooler temperatures than most people, so I may not be the best judge.

Here are are some good things about it: It's cheap. It's kept pretty clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is good, in a safe and fairly quiet part of Zona Centro, with an easy walk to the border and around Zona Centro. Easy to get a personal cab and close to cheap, communal taxis where you can go just about anywhere in the city for around a dollar or less. Free breakfast, which the morning I had it was quite good. Water coolers in the hallways. I believe they have free WiFi in the lobby area, but I didn't use it, so can't say for sure. There are taco stands on the corner, and a number of good, affordable restaurants within a block or two. If you have experience traveling on a budget in Mexico and Latin America, then this should be perfectly fine. You can always ask to see a room before booking if you're not sure.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank TravelHardHaveFun
Reviewed 25 June 2013

There is a hotel across the street called Hotel San Diego. Same owner and they share the same staff.

Hotel Economico is cheap, but expect your room to randomly become really humid. The windows are not sound proof so bring ear plugs. NO A/C. If this was a motel in the USA then I would give it a 1 star BUT since it is in Mexico, specifically TIJUANA then I would say it is average compared to the other Motels in the area.

The hallway noise is really loud.

If you pay a few dollars more across the street in Hotel San Diego, you get a slightly cleaner and bigger room and FREE PARKING....but it is still average.

Room Tip: They run out of rooms on busy weekends so call in or get there early. Rooms facing the street are...