“Pleasantly surprised”

Dining options: Dinner, Waitstaff
Tijuana, Mexico
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I were pleasantly surprised with the nice furnishings and excellent food! We had Capaceta's own interpretation of a Chateaubriand beef tenderloin which had a taste I had not experienced before. I had red wine, my wife ordered some very creative cocktails made from spices that you don't usually see in drinks. We especially liked the brick walls that appear to have the original facade from a few years back. The waiter was very knowledgeable of the food offerings and did a great job of explaining the different plates that were on the menu. This is a place we would definitely visit again.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank bajabass

Tijuana, Mexico
“Never coming back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Yesterday my friends and I went to have dinner and celebrate a friend's and my birthday. We were sited next to the bar so we could check out all the action, we started with a round of martinis, my friend order a lychee martini but she ended up having a cucumber martini, because they didn't have lychee, without asking her for what she would like instead my second martini I ask for a green tea and ginger martini, the waiter came to me with a watermelon one and said that I ordered it and I was like what the hell when I told him what I order he said "oh yes we don't have green tea so the bartender prepared the watermelon!!!" So irritated that they didn't ever care for the customer. The food was not very good I order the onion soup it tasted like burned onion just not good I didn't eat it also the salmon Wellington was awful, undercook, the crust was very thin it supposed to have goat cheese I didn't taste it at all. Terrible service, they ran out of beer, the waiter started to take our order then left for like 10 min and came back to finish taking the order, a total mess, definitively never going back to that place. I don't recommend anyone this restaurant there are plenty of very good restaurants around town don't waste your money and time in this one!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Karina C
Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
“Great Food, Horrible Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

M Capaceta sets a rustic atmosphere with a warm wood, stone and leather interior, interesting architecture and low light (maybe a little too low on the light - hard to read the menu). The menu offers a delectible selection of appetizers, sandwiches and entres ranging in price from affordable to spendy - there is something for everyone. Specialty cocktails include imaginative new mixes and old traditions. Food and drink flavors are simply delicious.

Unfortunately, after that, M Capaceta falls flat.

The wait staff is disorganized and unattentive. Drink orders someitmes took 15 minutes or more for just a bottled beer. I had one beverage - just one because no one offered me another. We had to request certain condiments several times before they remembered to bring them to our table (such as ketchup for fries, lemon/honey for tea, etc.). Dirty plates and flatware from appetizers remained on the table throughout the meal - should patrons have to ask that they be cleared? Clean flatware was not delivered when the meals came out - I ate my wedge salad with my hands. I picked up the whole chunk and bit into it right in front of the server and he didn't even notice!

This is not a large restaurant and there were at least 4 servers plus the host that we saw. A floor staff that large should have no problem providing excellent service to its customers in a place this size. But these guys were working with their feet, not their heads - often carrying one plate at a time, back and forth - I saw two of them literally run into each other.

The kitchen does not have its timing down and is also disorganized. It took an inordinate amount of time to receive our meals after we ordered - so it was clear the line was backed up. Then, orders placed at the same time came out sporadically in nonsensical order - our group ended up eating in four separate phases, receiving our food 10 minutes apart and some finishing well ahead of others so their food didn't get cold. No one is running the line in the kitchen the way it should be. (If you do go, order the burger - those came out like that's all they were serving.)

It's truly unfortunate. If M Capaceta had service to match it's food, this place would be a home run with a line out the door. With all the other wonderful choices in Tijuana, we're not inclined to go back.

• Visited November 2013