“The best tortilla soup I will ever have in my life”
Review of El Gusto

El Gusto
Ranked #33 of 92 Restaurants in Todos Santos
Price range: US$12 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Wonderful location on the shore of the Pacific to enjoy your lunch or dinner. Lunch is being served on the terrace overlooking a freshwater lagoon with an active birdlife. Dinner is offered indoors due to the cooler evenings and some upcoming winds. In Summer, we also serve dinner on the terrace. The terrace is called whale deck due to the wonderful view on passing whales in season (Jan - Mar). We serve day-fresh seafood and well cured prime cuts. Organic salads and vegetables from the region are a must. And we also speak Vegaterian and Vegan. Dinner reservation required.
San Francisco, California
“The best tortilla soup I will ever have in my life”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We walked here from the beach, which I don't recommend. We scrambled over rocks and through some mucky swamp in the dark in order to get to the restaurant and showed up a little disheveled. The owner was gracious and let us in. The food was absolutely delicious - maybe the best I had in Baja.

• Visited October 2012

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing view and great food”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

My wife and I found this place because of some signs pointing to it around Todos Santos. It's very much off the beaten path, but easy to find as there are signs the whole way. You have to take a dirt road for quite a while to get there, so be prepared to think you've gone too far. The hotel is right by the beach and totally secluded. It has a beautiful view of the ocean and is so, so peaceful. Originally, we just wanted to see the place but it was so pretty we stayed for lunch. Lots of fresh food, veggies too which can be hard to find sometimes in the Cabo area. I had the smoked tuna flautas and they were incredible, and my wife had tortilla soup and a salad and she loved then. The soup came with fresh avocado and crema, and the salad had corn, beets, radishes, etc. Also, while my wife speaks Spanish fluently, I still struggle a bit and our waiter spoke perfect English, which was nice for me. He studied in California and hardly has an accent. Overall, this place is well worth it, and so is Todos Santos.

• Visited June 2013
Marina del Rey
“Beautiful Place, Excellent Food, Outstanding Wines”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We had another great meal at El Gusto on a recent trip to Todos Santos. The owner, Juerg, is a great host as well as a fine chef. I had the tortilla soup--the best I've had--and the steak arrechera, which was beautifully seasoned and perfectly cooked. They have an excellent selection of older wines from the Guadalupe Valley, which is a real treat. They also make an excellent margarita.

And, the setting is magnificent, looking out over the gardens to the lagoon and the ocean through the palm trees. Inside, the art work is lovely, done by Juerg's wife Libusche, who also has a very nice gallery downtown. This is one of the premier spots in Todos Santos--don't miss it if you have a chance to go.

• Visited May 2013
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Amazing location for lunch or dinner - more continental than mexican”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

El Gusto is the house restaurant of Posada La Poza about a 5 minute drive out to the beach. The upper deck has an amazing view of their gardens, the lagoon and the ocean. A great place to relax at lunch or to watch the sunset. The food is excellent but not really mexican. More gourmet continental. The fresh fish and salads are great. Excellent margaritas.Food is bit spendy but on par with other Todos Santos restaurants. It is one of the places you should include on your visit to Todos Santos because no other restaurant there can compete with the setting. A nice Swiss couple run the restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
Philomath, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food and great view at lunchtime”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My wife and I had lunch here after walking down the beach from Playa La Cachora. Lunch was served on the rooftop pation which had a great view of the freshwater lagoon at Playa La Poza. There was enough of a breeze that several customers were wrapping themselves in the towels that were provided by the restaurant.

We both had tortilla soup which was very good. My wife also had tortilla soup at another restaurant in Todos Santos and she liked this one better.

The service was good. We met both of the couple who own the hotel/restaurant and they were super friendly. We would eat here again.

• Visited April 2013