“Awesome, Beautiful, Perfecto”

Los Colibris Casitas
Brewster, Massachusetts
“Awesome, Beautiful, Perfecto”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

We couldn't have been happier. Los Colibris is just like it looks and says on their website. This hasn't always been true of other travel experiences where photos are manipulated to look so much better than the real thing. This is the real thing. We stayed at Casa Colina--beautiful, comfortable, clean, killer views, roomy, lots of indoor and outdoor space. We stayed a week. Next year we will return for a month! Sergio and Bryan are great hosts, always helpful, friendly, and prompt in responding to our needs.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2012

What a wonderful place ! The "most stunning views of Todos Santos", it's much more than that ! We really felt in love with this little piece of heaven at the first sight. Our hosts, Bryan and Sergio, are so nice, so helpful and so well organized. A lagoon full of birds... the ocean... kilometers of sandy beach... the sounds and the spouts of the greywhales that we could see and hear from our room... the charming dogs showing us the way to beach... the hot tub where we could relax at night looking at the stars,... there is no other word than "paradise" to describe the 3 days we spent in Los Colibris.
Really the perfect place to disconnect from the active and crazy everyday life. It was really heartbreaking to leave.
Just waiting for our next winter holidays to go back.
Carinne Deville - Quebec, Canada

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Costa Rica
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I just spent four nights in Todos Santos at Los Colibris, truly an Oasis. I stayed in Mr. Bings Casita and loved it! You can literally see the ocean from your bed and if you're lucky the spouts of whales in the ocean. Not only that, there is fantastic hiking. I did the Canyon and Cliff Hikes and loved the introduction to the dessert and the views of the ocean and a gray whale from the cliffs. If you like to walk on the beach you have miles and miles of white sand to walk, bird and watch for whales. In Todos Santos, don't miss Browns Cafe and cooking classes with Iker, for dinner be sure to try La Casita with Chef Sergio, Cafe Santa Fe and Micheal's at the Gallery. All superb meals, be sure to try their wines! Plan your stay in Baja California Sur with Bryan and Sergio Jauregui owners of Los Colibris and Todos Santos Eco Adventures, you'll have a fantastic experience!

Room Tip: I loved my room because I had my own ocean view patio to read, sleep and take in the view!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Port Angeles, Washington
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I just returned from a week at Los Colibris, and I am happy to report that it is my new favorite place! The claim on their website that they have the best view in Todos Santos?? TOTALLY true. You won't find a better view. The casitas are on a hillside which overlooks a lagoon filled with tons of birds (bring binoculars!) and surrounded by palm trees. Just on the other side of the lagoon is the ocean and miles and miles and miles of sandy beach.

It is about a 10 minute hike to the beach, where you will virtually have the place to yourself. I think the most people we ever saw at one time in a two mile stretch of beach is 10. This is not a swimming beach (not safe) but wow! there were gray whales all OVER the place, coming as close as 15 meters from the beach. We also saw dolphins swim by one day. If you so choose, the dogs of the owners (Bryan and Sergio) of Los Colibris will join you to the beach if you are needing a pet fix :)

One of my favorite spots was hanging out on the rooftop patio of my casita. I spent hours and hours sipping coffee (a.m.) or wine (p.m.) and reading a book, watching the whales, soaking in the sun. This was a perfect place to get away from all the activity of life, and get fully relaxed. I also liked relaxing next to the pool (can take a dip if you get too hot) - the pool area is STUNNING - the designers outdid themselves! We loved using the hot tub in the cool evenings too. The sunsets from Los Colibris are also the best you'll find.

Some other notes:
Owners Bryan and Sergio are AWESOME
Their staff is professional
I felt completely safe at all times
The room was basic but quite nice - king size high-quality bed and bedding, lovely tile shower, and other niceties (fridge for the beer!)
Rent a car - it really is the best way to get from airport to Todos Santos, and back and forth from Los Colibris to town for meals and shopping - we didn't have any trouble with car rental and did not have any trouble driving or navagating the roads.

I will definitely be returning!
Lorrie Campbell

Room Tip: The are all great!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LorrieCampbell
Sonora, California
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Our one week trip has inspired me to master Spanish so I may communicate fully on our next trip to Todos Santos. Part of the imspiration is derived from our calming stay at Los Colibris, a a truly gorgeous and friendly place. I have progressive Multiple Sclerosis and even though the rock paths that surrounded the property were a bit tricky to navigate, I did what I could. With my husband's assistance, I even made it to the lovely pool/hot tub area! Watching the Humpback and Grey whales was an added treat as they were so close, I felt I could almost touch them from Mr. Bing's Place! Sergio provided us with binos so we could really check out their activity (mating season, you know) and it provided me with entertainment as my husband hiked to the lagoon & beach. In town, we were entertained by a benefit for local children's education with members of REM & other bands. Totally unexpected but another wonderful treat to our stay in Todos Santos. We definitely want to go back and Los Colibris is the only place we'd stay. Thanks for everything, Sergio!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My wife and I were there for 3 nights in January. When we arrived, around 4pm, there was nobody around, neither the owner nor the employees. We just figured out we should enter the room we had reserved, which had its door opened. I consider a little message just saying hi and telling us to check in could have been nice. The view is gorgeus, but to go in town, specially in the evening, you will need a car or a cab, since it is quite far. When we checked in the room was not very clean, with quite a lot of dust. During one day the hot tube, which appears on every picture in the website, did not work, but it was fixed the next day. The owner was very helpful on telling us what to do, and gave as very good advice to plan our days.

Room Tip: I would avoid the one I stayed at, called Mr Bings Place. Its got a natural roof, made out of dry le...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BHohmann
Sergio J, Owner at Los Colibris Casitas, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you for your review and we are so very sorry that the natural glory of Los Colibris did not infuse your life with as much joy as it does ours every day. Your comments have been helpful in making us consider what it is that makes Los Colibris so special, and we’d like to share our thoughts on that as we answer your specific issues:

On our website we state that “Los Colibris was made for nature lovers seeking beauty and tranquility.” True natural beauty and tranquility so often are not right off the highway. Even so, the amazing views and nature of Los Colibris are a mere 1.2 miles from Todos Santos’ only stoplight/gas station, and 1.5 miles to the town plaza. We always do recommend a car to guests as it takes at least 20 minutes to walk to town. But driving, even at minimal speeds over the bumpy roads, gets the job done in just a few minutes.

The hot tub actually did work during your stay and you and your wife enjoyed a couple of long, hot soaks under the stars. You initially couldn’t find where to turn on the jets so you thought they were broken but we showed you how to do it and you enjoyed the hot tub with the jets on from then on out.

As stated on our website the bedroom ceiling of Mr. Bing’s Place has a palapa roof, the only one of our casitas that has that touch. Palapa refers to a roof made of palm fronds put together by local craftsmen. It’s a beautiful local design and the roof of our entire house is a palapa roof. One aspect of Los Colibris that most of our guests enjoy is the presence of so many local materials in our construction, with many of the tables, sofas, chairs, cabinets and patios made from local woods, cactus and rock. All the plants in the garden of Mr. Bing’s Place and the grounds of Los Colibris are local plants as well. As for the dust, we do understand that your wife has particular sensibilities on this point, which is why we had the housekeeping staff return to the property immediately and re-clean the entire casita (which had been thoroughly cleaned just a few hours before), wash all the drapes, bedspreads and sofa coverings for you.

We do apologize that you did not feel more welcomed. However, please recall that the way you knew which room was yours and that you should just go in and make yourself at home was that we had sent you explicit instructions explaining how to do just that as we most likely would not be there when you arrived.

We understand that you did not have the vacation experience you had in mind and we are so sorry you were disappointed. Los Colibris is not just some property we manage, it is our home and our way of life. We want all of our guests to enjoy the peacefulness and beauty of the place as much as we do, to enjoy all the details of the casitas and grounds we created with love and care. If something goes wrong we always do our very best to make it right. And when nothing goes wrong and a guest is simply unhappy, well, we do our best to make that right too. We wish you well in your future travels.

Best regards,
Sergio and Bryan
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We arrived early evening after driving 2.5 hours from the airport to Todos Santos. This trip usually is quite a bit quicker, but the road between Cabo San Lucas and Todos Santos is under construction. Challenging directions, limited helpful signs and having never been here before made for a slow-bumpy drive. While driving, I was starting to question how this place could actually be the perfect non-touristy, authentic Mexican vacation spot we’d been told about.

Once in Todos Santos, the road to Los Colibris twists like a snake over very rough pot-holed dirt and rocks. There is a saying in Mexico about “good roads bring bad people…we only want good people, that is why the road is so bad”. Well said and so true.

Upon arriving at Los Colibris, a small boutique hotel perched on a hillside, we were greeted by our hosts, Bryan and Sergio. Sergio and Bryan are the owners of Los Colibris and Todos Santos Eco Adventures and they could not have been more kind or gracious. Our casita, La Chucha Casita is one of four options while staying here and included a lovely roof-top terrace that was perfect for an early morning coffee or al fresco dining while taking in the magnificent ocean, lagoon and palm oasis views. We loved this room, and it was very clean with simple, quality appointments. All of their accommodations have privacy, ocean views and are surrounded by native plants. La Churca Casita is the only one that didn’t have a ‘kitchen’ option, but since I was in town to interview various chefs, we knew we’d be eating in town and not needing to prepare any meals.

Bryan, whom I initially communicated with in regards to our trip, grew up in Louisiana, educated in Boston and now has a consulting business which required her to travel to China while we were there. Bryan is an energetic and fascinating woman—just wish I’d had more time getting to know her.

Sergio was on-site every day and he’s the main man for their Eco Adventures business which includes guiding visitors on hikes, surfing, whale watching, kayaking, horseback riding, mountain biking, snorkeling, cooking, margarita-making, wine-tasting and more. His knowledge of Baja in limitless and he brings Todos Santos to life. Get him to introduce you to the local ranchers, potters, artists, fishermen and chefs!

I can’t say enough about this property. You have privacy, a calming environment, serenity, and the landscaped grounds truly envelop you in an oasis of peace. I was concerned that being by the fresh-water lagoon we’d have to deal with mosquitos. None where around and the lagoon entertained us with all types of birds. The walk down to the beach is easy, but make sure you get directions. We ended up having to squeeze through a barbwire fence.

Once on the beach, the empty expanse of sand and surf is a unique mixture of tranquility and rejuvenation. The salt air has something to do with that, I think. The sand slips steeply down to the surf. No swimming on this beach, but it was exhilarating simply to sit and watch the waves pound and crash. One morning a hand-line fisherman, using squid as bait, fished for about an hour and caught at least a dozen fish. If only life were so simple.

Back at our casita, the pool and hot tub were inviting as were the comfortable lounge chairs under market umbrellas. Bryan and Sergio have a keen eye for excellence and their attention to detail makes everything on the property not only high quality, but also relaxed. A perfect combination while vacationing.

During our visit they had four dogs and four cats for my ‘pet fix’. All animals are well behaved and know not to come into your casita unless invited. If you love animals, you’ll be in heaven as each has their own unique personality. If you don’t like dogs or cats, no worries—they won’t bother you and quickly pick up if you want their attention or not. I loved every one of them…even Mr. Bing who I had to rescue a bird from…he wasn’t happy with me but the bird happily flew away.

The Pacific ocean was nature’s TV as we watched fishermen, shrimpers, gray whales frolicking and a Baja flying manta ray. You don’t really need to leave the property to be entertained.

The sunset at Los Colibris is art in motion. A camera will never capture all the hues and intense color changes as the sun dips into the ocean. All guaranteed to put a smile on your face and make for wonderful memories.

The details: Rent a car. You're 8 minutes to town, but it's not a fun 20 minute walk. There aren’t any stores close to your room, so purchase snacks, beer, water and breakfast items, etc. You won’t see any sugar ants unless you leave food out. Store food in containers or in the refrigerator. If you like dogs, bring them some treats. Coffee is provided as well as drinking water. Microwave and hairdryer in room. We never even locked our room, but if you’re concerned, each room has a safe.

Room Tip: Depending on your needs, they have something for everyone. Every room has private space and views o...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends