“Beautiful House, Great Town, Superb Trip”
Review of CalyCanto Casitas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Todos Santos
CalyCanto Casitas
San Diego, California
“Beautiful House, Great Town, Superb Trip”
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We spent 5 days at this home in mid-March on a surfing expedition in southern Baja. This was our 2nd year in a row in this house and we have been very satisfied both times. The house has a great layout with an open living/kitchen/dining area and downstairs patio with water views. Upstairs is a master suite (with a great outdoor shower) and a covered patio/deck that is great for meals, drinks, relaxing, etc.

The town of Todos Santos is also fantastic. There is a large American and Canadian contingent that has brought art galleries, shopping, restaurants, 4 and 5 star hotels, etc to the area.

We highly recommend this home and this area if you are looking for somehwere off the beaten path in southern (and safe) Baja.

Best,

el santo - San Diego, CA

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank lsjiv

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bancroft, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2011

One of the most relaxing, quiet weeks we have ever had! We really enjoyed the change from an all inclusive resort to making our meals, getting immersed in the local culture, and having miles of beautiful Pacific Ocean practically to ourselves and watch the hump backs cavort. Definitely a must go experience!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We recently had the opportunity to spend a week at Caly Canttos, and it was without a doubt the most relaxing part of our vacation. We were two couples coming from a week stay at an all inclusive resort in San Hose del Cabos and Caly Cantos is by far the preferred choice for our next holiday. Set overlooking the Pacific, the views alone are wirth the trip.
We were fortunate to arrive in "high season" for whale watching and it was incredible! You could not look at the ocean without seeing hudreds of spouts. Down at the beach the whales were no more than 30 feet from shore, rolling in the surf, amazing shows and well worth the trip.
I can't say there is anything bad about our stay, it was everything we expected and more.
Thanks very much Jim, Cecilia & Enrique, all wonderful people and we will be back..

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
todos santos mexico
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Todos Santos is an extraordinary place. Beautiful, relaxed, genuinely charming because uncontrived, there is no place like it on earth. It has been officially christened with the highest honor for historic towns in Mexico, "El Pueblo Magico", and there's no hyperbole in the title. It's impossible to describe just what it is that makes this small town deep in the Baja so magical; it's something subtle, beyond words, and all enveloping. Especially remarkable for a town this size, there's a wonderful range of eating options: fine dining, delicious street side tacquerias, cafes, restaurants, open air markets. . . .you can find anything to fit any circumstance or budget and, like the various aspects of the town itself, they all blend together into an intimate and seamless whole.

The CalyCanto Casitas are the ideal place to experience this idyllic setting. It doesn't feel like you're in a vacation rental, even though there are some very nice ones available; it feels like you're being hosted in someone's beloved home, and you are. The owners' great love and respect for the region is everywhere apparent: in the beautifully simple, strong furniture Mexico is famous for, in the equally and deservedly famous saltillo and talavera tiles that serve as the flooring both inside and outside, in the abundance of architectural details, the rich colors, in the charm of the bathroom and the outdoor shower overlooking the ocean, in the outside wood shutters on every window, including the sliding glass door leading onto the terrace, for maximum comfort and control.

Cozy inside, expansive outside, I alternate between sleeping in a big soft queen bed in the beautiful bedroom or out on the roomy terrace under the stars. The nighttime sky itself is a marvel; without the compromise of city lighting the heavens are brilliantly alive. . . .You can almost always hear the surf, night and day, and many a night i've made my way in the moonlight the short distance to the sea.

Jim, one of the owners, is wonderful to deal with. From the very beginning of our acquaintance, it was clear there was an unusually open and friendly person on the other end of the email. Throughout all my dealings with him to get the various details worked out, as I am a long-term tenant (something I highly recommend), he has consistently treated me as a friend. He is as special as the town and the casitas are. Enrique and Cecilia,the on-site property managers, are both graduates in graphic design from the University of Guadalajara. They create the local maps and run a small collectibles store in town. Fluent in English and exceptionally attractive and sweet young people, if you need anything, they are there. Everyone's interest is ensuring you take in everything Todos has to offer.

The casitas themselves are perfectly located about 2 and 1/2 miles from the town proper. I love being in Todos Santos with all it's gently bubbling life, and I love being outside of it in the deep silence and peace of the country. Getting into town is a 5 minute or so car ride. I highly recommend hitchhiking; I'm seldom on the road more than 5 minutes before a car comes along and through this method I've come to know many of the locals, as well as the large community of passionately devoted outsiders. . . . English, Portuguese, Italian, American, Mexicans from other parts of the country, particularly Mexico City. . . . Many of the people I've met in this way have become friends. Or you can call Octavio, one of the two or three taxi drivers in town, and he'll come and get you. I prefer to walk home as the sun is setting, and just take my time wending my way up El Camino a las Playitas, drinking it all in: the palms, the tiny tiendas, the beautiful homes scattered here and there, the first appearance of the moon, and the sea, always the sea, in the distance.

To be here in Todos Santos is to live largely outside of time, to live largely inside the abudance of nature, and to dwell with people, indigenous or coming from elsewhere, that are happy, that are open, and with whom one feels an effortless sense of easy community. It has been fantastic to be here in the "off season:" It is hot but not as hot as many American cities, and considerably less than some. Between the ocean breezes and the whirling of the giant palapa fan above the bed, I've never been hot or uncomfortable. Like everything else here, the heat feels good, feels right, feels like living well.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank todossantoslover
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2010

CalyCanto Casitas are every bit what has been written about them! There is no question that the amazing beaches the weather, the proximity to Todos Santos and many great restaurants, fresh fruit and vegie markets, some of the friendliest people in the world and lots of peace and quiet are what makes this such a unique vacation destination! I would however like to give you a unique perspective on both Todos Santos and CalyCanto! At 64 years of age and from Canada originally, I have been retired for almost 20 years and have lived in over 60 countries over these last 20 years! From Africa, to Asia, the US, the Caribbean Hawaii several times, Australia and New Zealand and many years in numerous countries in Europe! I have rented more properties around the globe than most people could ever imagine (every month and every year for almost 20 years as I have no primary residence anywhere on this planet)!

Given this rather unique perspective, I can say without hesitation that our last four months at CalyCanto have rivaled anywhere else I have stayed in the world!! If there is anyone qualified to make such a statement, I feel I am! While there is so much already said about CalCanto and Todos Santos on other posts, one can only appreciate just how good this place is by being here! We have all been disappointed numerous times by being fooled by all the pretty pictures and wonderful accolades about a property! NOT this time. CanyCanto is everything that is said about it and then some! So much so that we are returning to CalyCanto for the winter and are planning to make Todos Santos home in 2011! If you truly wish to experience everything you read about Todos Santos and CalyCanto , then I highly recommend you come and see it for yourself The management and US ownership guarantees that added peace of mind that one comes to expect from a property of this quality!
- Pat Walsh (July 2010)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 1 February 2010

We frequent the Todos Santos area every year and on our most recent trip in December we stayed at the Calycanto property. Attention to detail is the first thing that came to my mind when I walked in the door.
We had 4 adults and 2 teenagers and we couldn't have been more comfortable. The upstairs bedroom has an attached bath with a magnificant outdoor shower leading to a small balcony. Also upstairs is the outside palapa where we watched the famous Todos Santos sunsets.
The downstairs bedroom also has an attached bathroom and a great Palo de Arco covered patio for relaxing or reading a book.
The open kitchen is small but has all the necessary appliances. Nothing has been overlooked in the design of Calycanto.
We can't wait till our next visit!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
San Francisco
Reviewed 20 December 2009

The CalyCanto Casitas are a perfect, affordable, tranquil place to spend some time relaxing in southern Baja. Ideally situated for surfers and non-surfers alike about two miles from the break at La Pastora and about the same distance to the town of Todos Santos, CalyCanto is an unusual find in Baja. The ammenities and attention to detail are first rate, with luxuriously appointed modern comforts. The site managers Enrique and Cecilia are very hands off, but friendly, helpful people, who are available whenever you need them. Jim, the owner, is similarly an easy-going guy who was a pleasure to work with. I went down with a couple of surf buddies, and it was certainly the nicest accommodations we've had for a surf trip! I definitely plan to return, either on another surf adventure, with the family, or as a romantic getaway with the wife.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
#7 of 8 in Todos Santos
Cerritos Surf Town
Cerritos Surf Town
#3 of 4 in El Pescadero

Been to CalyCanto Casitas? Share your experiences!