“Did I miss something?”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Todos Santos
Reviewed 29 August 2013

A group of us dined out on the patio one evening. I could not understand why this place proves so popular. The place looks tired, the decor is hideous, the drinks grossly overpriced, the food below average. When it arrived the bill was simply staggering. The staff seemed reluctant to bring bill to me at all. Perhaps they were embarrassed? If you must visit in homage I recommend that you steer clear of the rip off margaritas.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Revisited the Hotel California, perfect room, excellent Chile Relleno, nice rain shower too! Price was right, staff is nice and helpful, room was spectacular, weather was nice for August. I would reccomend this hotel and will visit again as we live in Cabo.Several galleries now and not crowded this time of year.

Thanks Hugo, Adolfo and Debbie!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2013

beautiful spot, good dinner. We didn't stay here, were just passing through. But happy we stopped here. Of all the meals we ate on our vacation, this was my favorite. Be sure to walk around the hotel and see the paintings and gallery.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BrianAnton
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I've walked past Hotel California on two previous visits and resisted the urge to have a look inside. On my most recent trip I succumbed and wasn't really disappointed because it met my expectations of it having more of an affinity with the wealthier tourist. I "people watched' for about an hour over a beer and a snack. The beer was cold, the snack filled a spot and the service was okay. However I think it would be fair to say that the average age of all the people I saw passing through the hotel would have been approaching 70 (plus). They were all wearing the same travelling uniform, all wanting the same safe experience but being able to tell their neighbours how brave they were that they visited Mexico!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Toulouse045
Reviewed 10 June 2013

First , I must say we did not spend the night here. It was more of an attraction and attraction it was! Tour buses by the handful pulled up here to see this attraction made famous by the Eagles song. Some may argue, this was not the hotel they were singing about, but judging by the folks buying in the gift shop, no one cares. Lovely lobby and outside restaurant area. Very touristy but then I am a tourist. Very clean but can be very crowded at times. Just had drinks so can not review the meals , but that said, we had a great time!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank corndoggie
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I've just returned from Todos Santos and had 4 nights booked at the Hotel California. First they charged the entire stay on my card and said that's what we do. My husband and I booked the Presidential suite so we could stay upstairs and my 83 yr. old mother in-law would be downstairs. My mother in-law is in good shape except her vision is not to good in dark places. I do not recommend this hotel for anyone who has any sight problems or walking problems. Most all of the patios are uneven, brick or stone and many levels. There are many narrow, dark, stairways, there are raised thresholds in doorways, and in our suite, a stair going down into the bathroom. So just too many obstacles and we were constantly worried about her safety and I'm sure she was annoyed by our constant arm holding and we did not allow her to walk around by herself. The most upsetting part was when we decided that we could not remain there because of safety issues, we spoke to the staff, who eventually spoke with the owner and they would not refund our money. After much negotiation, they gave us a voucher for half of our remaining 2 nights. So went to the hotel store - not much for us there - too commercialized, so we had a family dinner at the hotel restaurant. In closing, I'll say, it a great place to visit, the staff is friendly and attentive and the food is great. However I don't recommend this hotel for seniors, anyone with a disability or even families with small children. Too stressful!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Laura C
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed in the penthouse suite and the patio off the top floor was amazing!!! It was huge and had a very comfortable feel. The penthouse has everything you could need but the placement of the bathroom was a little odd. It was located on the bottom floor, but we spent the majority of our time on the top floor (bedroom and terrace upstairs).

After the sun goes down the light up the hotel with candles which give it a very romantic feel. So beautiful and full of character with all the artwork.

We had a couple meals in the restaurant and loved the food and drink. Great time!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
#7 of 8 in Todos Santos
Pension California
Pension California
#29 of 40 in La Paz

Been to Hotel California? Share your experiences!