“You have to experience this!!!!”
Review of Hotel California

Hotel California
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Todos Santos
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel is like an oasis in the middle of the dessert.... beautiful décor, you feel like in an old Mexican Hacienda... beautiful and full of character.
The rooms are very comfortable, very Mexican.... very clean... the colors are awesome, very bold but it works!!!
Bed very comfortable. We did not eat there, but we had some drinks at the bar... very nice!!! decoration is awesome.... we had margaritas, I asked "papaya" margarita... sooo yummy... the hallways, terrace, swimming pool, everything is just picture perfect..
My husband was crazy about going there because the song.... anyway it doesn't matter for him this hotel has nothing to do with the song.... we spent an awesome time there....
You have to go and see that town "Todos Santos"!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with street view.....
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I was not looking for nor did I find a connection to the song. Hotel California was recommended by a friend who described it as one of the sexiest hotels she's ever been to. I thought the decor was perfect; a mix of rustic heavy furniture with great art, gorgeous colors on the walls, tons of flowers, beautiful rugs, uneven brick floors. Intensely charming. Our room was a corner suite with old french doors that when opened, swept the dark curtains in the breeze. I have been to Baja many times and had never been to Todos Santos before. Loved walking around the town.

I am only rating the decor and vibe. The bar had a great feel too. I had heard good things about the food, but our food was mediocre at best. No where near the price. We would have done a lot better with street tacos. The fish was way over seasoned, as were the veggies and the ginger mango salsa on the fish was like bad chutney. I fed half my meal to the starving wailing cat who appeared at my feet. Even so, I kind of fell in love with the hotel. We stayed for one night.

Room Tip: Spring for a suite, corner suites have more light, as the place tends to show dark inside.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Debbie S, Owner at Hotel California, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you so much for your great comments about the hotel. We also always appreciate feed-back about our restaurant and I am sorry that your meal was not to your liking. I have spoken to our Chef who will review your comments and see how we can improve. I hope that you will return and give our restaurant La Coronela another try. Muchas gracias!!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This place is a little gem in the middle of the desert. The ambiance can't be beat. It's just beautiful and full of character. It makes you feel like you are in Mexican heaven! The rooms were unique, clean, and very comfortable! The outside terraces and pool were picture perfect.

Room Tip: Any room will do! But if you can, get the penthouse!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were on a day trip from Cabo San Lucas. After the drive were looking for a hole in the wall to eat some good Mexican. We stumbled across the hotel and thought it would be fun to stay here overnight, next time we visited.

We decided to stay for a drink and ordered some ice cream for the little one.

The wait time was ridiculous. It was not busy. It was hot. The service was good but super slow and had to ask twice for the drinks/icecream.

The Margarita was nice and icecream looked delicious.

Food and drinks were pricey so we opted not to eat here.

Have to mention the toilets were awful and smelly, not pleasant at all to use after a big drive. Loved the courtyard and nick nacks around the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It's not a "resort" - it's a small hotel with a lot of character. The food was delicious and everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. We stayed for 2 nights on our way back down the coast to San Jose del Cabo and our room had an amazing terrace that overlooked the garden restaurant. Todos Santos itself is a small, quaint town and we enjoyed wandering around during the day. There is not a whole lot to do after checking out the shops so 2 nights was perfect for us. If I'm ever back in that area again I would definitely go back for another short stay.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for the rooms with the terrace overlooking the garden restaurant.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I stayed there on an off season Wednesday night and pretty much had the hotel to ourselves. We booked the Penthouse Suite, well worth the extra money. We had the beautiful garden dining room all to ourselves, and the meal was excellent. My wife had the halibut in an orange saffron sauce that was incredible. I had the seafood stuffed chile relleno and it was every bit as good as my wife's halibut.
The real treat came the following morning with breakfast served on our private patio, beautifully decorated with potted cactus and palms. We left our order for an early breakfast with the night staff so we were a little unsure how it would work out. By 8:15 we had room service at our door with a beautiful spread of house made pastries, fresh fruit and juice and a large carafe of coffee. Exactly what we ordered, served on our private little oasis.
All in all a great, funky, artsy little hotel you have to try..

Room Tip: If you take the penthouse be prepared for the stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is the place that put Todos Santos on the map. It is a beautifully restored older building with gorgeous local art everwhere. The restaurant serves excellent food and great drinks. The service is friendly. The place can get pretty packed at lunch but the service is still great. After 3, the day trippers from Los Cabos have mostly gone, the candles are lit at dusk and the hotel turns into even more of a fairy land of light and colour.The owner, Debbie Stewart, is the most charming and lovely of hostesses.

• Stayed: March 2014