“Charming Hacienda”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Todos Santos
Roseville, CA
“Charming Hacienda”
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Intimate, romantic, grand old hacienda style inn located in the heart of Todos Santos' historic district. Former home of a sugar baron this 1800's hacienda has been sensitively restored as an historic inn. With antiques, high beamed ceilings and beds that were quite firm, but amazingly comfortable, it is a lovely oasis with a comfortable vibe. A few things that I did note that probably needs attention; lampshade in our suite needed to be replaced due to stains, and they could be more generous with the bathroom towels. If you want to be able to sleep late, plan on reserving the garden suites as the terrace suites had traffic at an ungodly hour for someone on vacation.....

The courtyard garden with lush plantings spill over a small pool that invokes the feeling of a lost era. Wonderful chaise lounges with bright red cushions feel like a trip back in time relaxing or reading a book. Numerous hummingbirds are busy feeding on the brightly colored trumpet vine and honeysuckle.

Rooms feature small french style double doors that open onto quite spacious rooms. Our hosts had thoughtfully provided a wonderful bottle of champagne for our 10th wedding anniversary which we consumed under the stars dipping our toes into the pool.

Made our way into the wine bar which is reminiscint of an old world gentleman's club in a Mexican rustic decor. Backgammon board and numerous books in the library were plentiful for guests. Double french doors opened onto a very small step out that overlooked the restaurant below. With guitar music wafting up to the wine bar, it was romantic indeed.

Complimentary breakfast the next morning at Landis restaurant was wonderful. The hostess and I had a small language barrier that was readily solved and we were the lucky recipients of a fabulous breakfast.....

The inn is within walking distance to many local galleries, which Todos Santo is famous for plus numerous restaurants. If you'd really like a special treat, try the Taco Stand across the street from the bank located on Alvaro Obregon; they only serve fish and shrimp tacos. Melt in your mouth, wonderful beyond belief tacos.

Would we return; in a heartbeat!

3 Thank cdspencer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
San Francisco
Reviewed 3 February 2010

This hotel is an absolute gem. I wrote about it in detail as part of an amazing Mexican adventure I recently went on: http://www.cyrusisboard.com/2010/02/great-baja-california-odisea.html

Highly recommend this hotel, even with the high prices. It's tough to find a more quaint location in Baja.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cyrus0007
Cambria
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We stayed at the Todos Santos Inn for six nights, had a wonderful stay and were reluctant to leave. The Inn is in the center of town and the experience is pure Baja Sur. John and Todd, the proprietors, have created a wonderful atmosphere that transports guests into another world, one with a unique and stylish sense of place. The central courtyard is a beautiful oasis and the rooms are comfortable and spacious. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. We were enrolled in the one week Spanish course with Guillermo Bueron and highly recommend both the course and Profesor Bueron.

san francisco, ca
Reviewed 8 January 2010

a beautiful and charming place your feet up after a long day of traveling, beaching, sightseeing, shopping, or eating. upon arrival had an instant sense of understated, old town charm. great location just a block or two from the center of town, yet set away from any loud street noise.
the very friendly staff is eager to make your stay perfect.
the hacienda itself is stunning. the airy patios and landscaping provide for a laidback yet elegant atmosphere.
the bar is beautiful, complete with chess table and comfy leather chairs. they have a beautiful reading room full of books, with tv and dvd player as well. the patio/common area is peaceful and comfortable (the only place you can get a wifi signal). the pool is small but tranquil, and a nice overgrown spot to get your poolside lounge on.
the rooms are roomy: high ceilings, ceiling fan, couch, and a great bed and mattress. the mosquito net over the bed is more for the romantic effect over necessity. didn't hear or see one little bugger in this hotel. nice big bathtub.
landi's restaurant provides a great breakfast: huevos, granola, hot cakes etc.
loved the inn, and recommend it especially for people looking for a laid back, tranquil, romantic getaway.

Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Great hotel, quiet, intimate, and has wifi. Nice cafe on site. Close to art galleries.

Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 31 December 2009

I feel terribly embarassed that it has taken me this long to write a review of the Inn. While visiting Cabo San Lucas a year ago, my husband and I left our two year old in the care of my parents for a night and escaped to the Todos Santos Inn to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were not to be disappointed.

From the moment of our arrival it was as though we had been swept away from reality and were able to lose ourselves in another time and place. The Inn's decor is magnificent, every detail accounted for. I had read before arriving that the Inn had eight rooms but as we were walked through winding paths of tropical flowers, hidden archways, quiet fountains and a beautiful pool tucked into the lush fauna, it was easy to convince one's self that you were the only one present. Translation, if you are looking for peace and privacy, it is very easy to find here. Yet at the same time, you are steps away from all that the town of Todos Santos has to offer.

The wine bar, having just been rennovated prior to our arrival, was lovely and very elegant. My husband still talks about and attempts to replicate the green apple martini he enjoyed so much while we were there. Do take the advice of the proprietors and have dinner one night at Cafe Santa Fe, particularly if you are celebrating a special ocassion. The restaurant is not inexpensive but after dining there, it became very clear why people come from far and wide to eat at this restaurant. Very unassuming from the outside, you step through the front door and (much like the Inn) you find yourself in another world, in this case, a little bit of Italian paradise. And did I mention the food? Still thinking about it a year later!

In all honesty, I having nothing negative to add to this review. And trust me when I say that when it comes to hotels, I am not necessarily easy to please. Our stay at the Todos Santos Inn made our anniversary spectacular and I certainly hope to return in the future. On the morning of our departure, I decided to sit by the pool for an hour. I sat on a wonderfully comfortable lounge chair reading a book while listening to the trickling water-fall in the pool. I glanced up at the endless blue sky, watching a breeze catch the palm trees above me and I honestly could not remember a time in my life when I had been more relaxed. Fabulous feeling, fabulous Inn!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 11 December 2009

My family and I were in Todos Santos for a wedding and we are so pleased we were given the suggestion to stay at the Todos Santos Inn. Everything was delightful from the first moment we contacted the Inn to make the arrangements, (John, one of the Innkeepers, is so gracious and accomodating), to the final day when we had our last delicious complimentary breakfast. It is everything it appears to be on the website and more, and it truly will "leave you with a real taste of Mexico."

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family