All reviewsdirt roadgreat potentialthe beach is nicehot tubremote locationopen to the publicpalapa barbar tenderinfinity poolall inclusive resortsurf beachspacious bathroomthe entire hotelgorgeous viewsoverlooking the oceantequila sunriseone of a kind
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Cerritos Surf Colony one night, and the Hacienda the next....The villas at the Surf Colony were so close to the beach and I initially didn't want to leave the sand, but staying at the Hacienda just blew me away. It was grand and rustic, situated on the top of the cliffs, with such gorgeous decor that made me feel like royalty from ages ago. Huge living areas, kitchen, verandas, courtyard, etc with breathtaking views of the ocean made it the most unique hotel I've ever stayed at. We stayed in Bungalow 1 and 2 (huge, with a living area, huge bathroom with walk-in tile shower, kitchenette), which faced Cerritos Beach and we spent hours watching the surfers and rolling waves. We had a semi private pool (infiniti pool with jacuzzi) and I mean semi-private because it was on our patio but it was not blocked off to other sightseers who were touring the facility. Sitting in the infiniti pool and gazing onto the beach was one of most zen moments I've ever had! The main pool was gorgeous and well-kept, and has side "wings" so I was able to swim long laps from one end to another, getting a great workout.

The icing on the cake was that this hotel has a bookcase that opens up to a "secret" staircase which leads you to the top of the tower for an incredible panoramic view of the beach and cliffs. Be careful if you bring little kids up here as there is not a gate that surrounds the top of the spiral staircase. This hotel is better suited for older kids, not toddlers (I left my little ones home).

I agree that this hotel has minor maintenance issues but being on the cliffs and being constantly exposed to the elements, ongoing repairs are neccessary. It is definitely not a touristy resort with around the clock service and wild entertainment, but that's what I expected from a hotel that was very private and tranquil. The hotel provided fruits and coffee in the morning, but a quick hike down to the Cerritos Surf colony provided delicious meals, 3 x a day. Guests can use the main kitchen to cook (or arrange to hire a cook for your family/friends during your stay as I was told by the owner).

My one inexpensive upgrade request is to have the hotel provide white towels. Currently they are dark brown, and being very concerned about cleanliness, I thought white would be a better means of convincing the guests that they are clean.

I can't wait to come back! It is pure paradise (there is even a hut with 2 hammocks that provide awesome naps) .Forewarning: there is a unkempt, dirt road to get to the Hacienda so get ready for a little bumpy ride and try to drive in daylight on your initial drive there (we drove in the dark and kept thinking we were going the wrong way as some of the turnouts were unmarked).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Cerritos Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you for the wonderful review, we are do pleased that you enjoyed your stay! It sounds like to were able to explore the Hacienda and find the unique attributes it offers..the hidden staircase it fun! We appreciate your understanding the elements of our location can be difficult to keep up with and can be unforeseen. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

and as the reviewer prior to mine said that it COULD be much nicer if kept up, had TVs, internet, a warm Jacuzzi and pool, and maybe some night time entertainment.

What a great view. HUGE rooms along with HUGE bathrooms and walk-in closets. A gem on the cast but you need a car to get across the couple miles of washboard dirt roads and take food with you. Bar is open with limited hours. Coffee and fruit were provided in the AM. Purchase through groupon or one of the other similar coupon sites. Would not pay full rate at all. Take reading material or go surfing just off the cliffs. A bar was located close and on the beach and within walking distance with a good menu, TVs, and internet access. They close at 6:30P though so anything after that was by car.

Room Tip: We had the South Suite which had a view towards the surf colony. I doubt you could go wrong with the view from any of the rooms. A/C worked well all night as it was very muggy when we were there.
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I agree with several of the reviews. We were also walking into it wondering what we were getting ourselves into. However, we loved it. Better than any hotel I have ever stayed at! This is not for anyone who expects a five star resort. It is not. It is a 4.5 star resort that needs a little polishing. We loved our room, clean, kitchenette inside, huge shower and easy access to the kitchen). Our view was amazing! We had a bungalow room ( own pool and hot tub). The pool wasn't working when our neighbours arrived ( shared pool/tub) but they quickly had the hotel fix and get it running. The pool quickly became a hot tub as well:). We made due:). We utilized the Cerritos Surf Colony's pool most of the time. Great food there as well!
La Paz is ok. Stinky! Smells like exhaust. I would, when we return, spend most days ... All days ... Between Todo Santos and Cerritos! Why leave paradise? Oh... And the hammocks! A must sleep on! Check out the beach that no one ever uses on the right side of the resort! Super beautiful to watch the sunset ( happens in 5 mins ) with your honey:D.
All in all... Hacienda Cerritos is rustic... Beautiful.. Alive... Come live and experience a once in a lifetime resort! You won't regret it! PS... Don't venture to the time share beside Cerritos Surf Colony... They are a bunch of clowns!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank DirtyGirlQB1
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I really want to give this place 5 stars but it is not quite there. The location and views are outstanding and with a few extra touches and some major maintenance it would be perfect.

I understand that major maintenance is costly and they have had to drop their prices significantly since we first looked at this property several years ago. However some minor relatively cheap updates would go a long way. All the bed linens and towels were dark brown. I prefer white linens so I can see that they are clean. In addition the sheets were stained with bleach and even had holes in places. It would have been nice for beach towels to be provided without asking ( the ones we did get where old and stained ). Our room had a kitchenette but it was not stocked with glasses or utensils. We had to raid one of the main kitchens which was not a big deal, but it would be nice to have the basics in your room. Mosquito nets would be nice as they get in to the rooms easily with the gaps around the doors and we were badly bitten despite trying to use repellent. We had a table and chairs on our patio but it was not until the last night that they gave us cushions and a candle. The jacuzzi was not working.

Some information in the rooms about the local area/restaurants would have been nice as you find often have in hotels.

There was a problem with air conditioning when we arrived and we had to stay in a terrace suite on our first night. These rooms are much warmer because they are upstairs and the tops of the windows are not covered so beware if you like to sleep in the dark.

For the rest of our stay we were in Bungalow 3 on the North Side. The view is spectacular and the patio shaded most of the day if you like to get out of the sun. One thing to be aware of is that although the website lists each Bungalow as having a 'Private' pool and Jacuzzi that it not the case.You do share with the adjacent Bungalow.Not what I would consider 'Private'. Not necessarily an issue but it does depend on your neighbors. Unfortunately we had some young surfers who were partying until 1am and the sound really carries from the patio in to the rooms.Not what we expected here but maybe a consequence of having to drop their prices so low ?

On the whole we had a wonderful time. I loved the remoteness of it and the views and beach are amazing. We even saw some whales from our patio !

It's just those little touches that would make it perfect ( and some major maintenance down the road )

2  Thank WoogirlCA
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This was our third stay at the Hacienda and yes, there will be a fourth !!!! On this trip, we stayed at the Cerritos Surf Colony the first week and the Hacienda the second week. I have to admit that the last couple of days of our stay at the Surf Colony (beach fron unit) I was a bit bummed about "havimg to move" up to the Hacienda for the final week. Once at the Hacienda, it did not take long for that all to disappear. The granduer and the charm of this house dispel all concerns.

Yes as with the Surf Colony, there are things that are not perfect. There are bugs (and unfortunately no screens on the sliding doors, this would be a recommended improvement), the pool had some filtration issues that were being fixed and the electricity and water occasionally go out. Annoyances, but not show stoppers. Nicki is now the new manager of the facility and as she did at the Surf Colony, you can already she her working to improve any issues. Remembering that it is Mexico and problems are dealt with "tomorrow" while today is being enjoyed is a must and once you take on that approach things appear much better.

Our stay turned out to be wonderful once again. The openness of the house, grounds and amazing pool area view allowed us to meet and befriend many other visitors, but avoid them if solitude was desired. Most folks had the same opinions of the negatives and simply went with the flow as did we. The payback for the cost is far superior. I am so very happy that we found this place a couple years ago and will most certainly return again and again.

Room Tip: We prefer the south side with views of Cerritos Beach.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
CerritosBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda Cerritos Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for all the great photos you added! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and have continued to a loyal guest…we will see you for trip #5 !!