“Superb Service and Food in Nogales Sonora”
Review of El Marcos

El Marcos
Ranked #3 of 32 Restaurants in Nogales
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I love this restaurant and have been frequenting it since it opened. When working in Nogales I invited customers here for lunch all the time, now that I am retired i look forward to taking all my family and friends visiting from back east to El Marcos. Everyone loves the atmosphere and furnishings. The service is really 5 star with one of the wait staff always close by your table you never have to wait for anything. The large menu selections has something for everyone's taste, be sure to top your meal off with a generous piece of Mango Pie (Pay).

1  Thank 701Desertrat41
There are newer reviews for El Marcos

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Rarely do I return a fifth time to any restaurant within two-month period, but el Marcos Restaurante Bar has won me over and I spread to the word to others who travel into Mexico through this border city.

Why? Witnessing and then partaking of salsa would be a singular explanation. I am among those who relishes (so to speak) a great salsa and the idea of participating in the preparation of my very own is fasciatinating. A waiter shows at the table and, ready with all the possible ingredients, asks the diner about his/her tastes --spicy, mild, hot, whatever -- and goes to work. In a world of canned and otherwise bland salsas, there is nothing as satisfying as one's own custom-made. (Except for el Marcos, I have never requested a container to take salsa back home.)

Beyond salsa: I have eaten a cross-section of soups, traditional and non-standard Mexican fares and found each to be excellent. It might be cliché to say give a restaurant a compliment for serving food hot that should be hot, and serving food cold that should be cold, but that's a rule today to which many restaurants seem unable to adhere. El Marcos does it. (On my 2nd visit, I met owner Leonardo Puga, originally from Mexico City, and it is probably his around-the-clock presence that keeps this dictum in force.)

To date, I have had Fetuccini al chipotle con pollo, pechuga rellena, Caesar salad, camaraones rellenos and three soups -- sopa de tortilla, hongos and chile verde. Each of these dishes has been great and it's a temptation to repeat one, but the menu is too extensive to start repeats.

I have never set foot in the el Marcos prior to 2 p.m., but it is open for breakfast and offers a variety of Mexican omelette and egg combinations.

Prices are fair. I have been with friends on each of my visits and the two of us have eaten, plentifully, for under $25. (Neither of us drinks.)

An additional tribute to el Marcos but not one for which I can vouch: the bar. In my work in the region, I often hear about the best places to hang out to meet people or have a drink. (I am doing neither these days.) El Marcos comes up time and again -- and from a cross-section of Mexicans and Americans. The bar is as attractive as the dining area and, of importance to owner and patron alike, it has controlled access. That means customers enter through the restaurant, giving staff the ability to weed out anyone or group it considers undesirable.

2  Thank keith r
Reviewed 5 September 2013

After a long road trip and having had a terrible fast-food road trip meal the day before, we wanted something good. El Marcos came recommended by our Mexican insurance agent in Nogales AZ. The décor was very nice, something between a hacienda and a perpetual fiesta. Everything we ordered arrived well prepared and very tasty. I had the arrachera sonorense that was excellent. We ordered plátanos con rompope, that were flambéed at the table with the Mexican liqueur treat and all was good in the world. El Marcos is not cheap, but worth it. I would highly recommend El Marcos for those passing through Nogales, Sonora.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We went by taxi to El Marcos (Blvd. El Greco 26, Plaza Kalitea, Nogales, C. P. 84066, tel. 631 313 8082), a restaurant that was recommended by our City Express Hotel. (When we are on a road trip and stop for the night we only take our computers and overnight bags (okay, also food bags) out of the car.) The rest of our luggage stays in the car overnight. Once it is parked securely in the hotel's parking lot we don't want to take it out and leave it near a restaurant--that's why we take a taxi.

Le Marcos menu was off-putting because all of the menu prices were in US dollars. The prices (in US dollars) weren’t too high so we decided to stay (and there was nowhere else to go in the neighborhood and we hadn't driven--we had taken a taxi). We shared everything and started with a classic Mexican “Ensalada Cesar Clásica” (US$8.20). It was made with a flourish at our table. Then we had the “Pechuga Tamarindo” (US$12.20) that was described as chicken breast stuffed with bell peppers and shrimp with "our tamarindo sauce." It was served with fettuccine and steamed vegetables. We asked for the chicken “pink” and it was served the way we like it. It was tender and juicy. The whole dish was tasty and we enjoyed it. The meal cost M$261 (go figure--why wasn't it in dollars?) plus tip. The exchange rate was M$13.10 = US$1.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Ate here about 12 time in the last 3 years. Most of the time the food is fine. They tend to overcook most of the seafood dishes. I ordered the salmon with Mango. One side was all burned (black). One of my friend ordered the shrimp in wine sauce. It was cooked in front of us for over 10 minutes. It should only take 3 minutes to keep it crispy and keep it from shrinking.

I was pretty disappointed this time. Everything was fine except the food this time.